7860k w/ old cooler?

thebufenator

[H]ard|Gawd
So I bought a 7860k yesterday for an htpc update, and was surprised to find it did not have the new heat pipe cooler.

All the reviews I have read say it cones with the low noise heat pipe cooler. Mine came with a dinky old cooler, no heat pipes.

Is this standard, or did I get an anomaly?

My wifes 7870K came with the usual heat pipe heatsink like came with my FX 8350. Those aren't the new wraith coolers, and not sure yours would have come with the wraith but should have come with the one that came with the 7870k. Maybe this was a tray sell not intended for individual purchase, more an OEM sale off.

Oh and they are loud, what the wraith is supposed to fix.

Yeah mine came with the one on the right:

AMD-95-Watts_w_755.jpg

Was it already open... Unless it was released before the wraith it should have the wraith cooler...

Thats the "quiet" cooler. Its not the same as the old crappy one, it has a huge copper slug in it and it physically larger.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Hmm. Odd. I would ask AMD actually, on their forums or twitter. I bet they would know whats going on.

I just bought a 7890k and it came with a Wraith.

Hmm. Odd. I would ask AMD actually, on their forums or twitter. I bet they would know whats going on.

I just bought a 7890k and it came with a Wraith.

Nothing strange going on, if you see "Quiet" cooler you get the red one pictured above. If you see "Silent" you get the cut-down Wraith with no lights. You only get full Wraith cooler if it says so on the box. Most of the APU's and Athlons now have different SKU's for which cooler it has with it.

Nothing strange going on, if you see "Quiet" cooler you get the red one pictured above. If you see "Silent" you get the cut-down Wraith with no lights. You only get full Wraith cooler if it says so on the box. Most of the APU's and Athlons now have different SKU's for which cooler it has with it.

So there are 3 HSF's

I guess in that picture I didn't think the bigger one was the wraith without the LED.

I guess in that picture I didn't think the bigger one was the wraith without the LED.

In the AMD picture the one with heatpipes is the same one that comes with FX chips, its not Wraith either. So I guess you could say 5 coolers? They have so many now.

There seems to be two "quiet" coolers, one for 95W and one for 125W which is the two they have pictured there.

Well at least I didn't get screwed

Yeah if you want the wraith you gotta find the SKU thats $30 more expensive which is why I don't even understand why AMD bothered. You can get a 212+ EVO or something else way better for the same money.

The full Wraith cooler isn't too far off from a Hyper 212 Evo.

AMD Wraith Cooler vs Hyper 212 EVO

The 880K cooler is real nice too:

AMD Athlon X4 880K CPU Review

The 880k cooler is Wraith without the lighted shroud. It also increases the cost to $100, which is bordering on i3 territory, and when you see reviews like that with impossible to find board like the UP4 it makes you wonder what the hell the point actually is of buying one.

Also, 5C difference on a very low-heat test like realbench is huge, imagine if they actually ran something hot like Prime 95.

pics of the wraith with my 7890k. So far I've been able to go up to 4.7 or 4.8Ghz on it. I will confirm.

ZmXYgij.jpg

o3eKu08.jpg

9akmmzh.jpg

Back