65w processor in ISK 110

illram

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone had success with a 65w processor in an ISK 110 with its packaged PSU board? It has a 90w power brick and an 80w board. (I am assuming that means it can pull 90w from the wall to power 80w internally.)

Want to put an A10-6700 in this little sucker. Will use an aftermarket low profile cooler and likely only one SSD. Maybe will want it to power at least one USB peripheral at times, such as an external DVD player. Read varying reports online of it working and not working with other lower-end 65w processors. Reviews show systems with the A10 pulling upwards of 100w from the wall at full load, which has me sort of concerned.

Other users say the hole for the adapter is too small for a Pico PSU adapter which is my only stumbling block here. Don't have any case modding tools or experience so don't really want to have to go there.

Thanks!

Interesting, thanks. Guru3D review shows it drawing 85w under load, a little under the SPCR review of the A10. Not sure how much that has to do with the bench systems themselves or the chip or what.

What other things do you have in yours? I.e., how many HDDs/SSDs, ever hook up any USB peripherals, etc.?

If you look at that SPCR review, you need to look at page 3 as that has power consumption for IGP tests. Page 5 has a discrete card added. IGP tests put power consumption around 85-90W with prime and furmark (both of which stress the CPU/GPU to the max). You shouldn't hit those levels for everyday tasks.

Plus, I think some people have put an a10 in the isk100/110 on these forums.

Interesting, thanks. Guru3D review shows it drawing 85w under load, a little under the SPCR review of the A10. Not sure how much that has to do with the bench systems themselves or the chip or what.

What other things do you have in yours? I.e., how many HDDs/SSDs, ever hook up any USB peripherals, etc.?

8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, 64GB Kingston SSD, no other USB devices except for my keyboard, Logitech G9x, wireless adapter, and Canon MP280 printer.

I know of one person that had a normal wattage A10, and they ended up having to go with a higher wattage Pico PSU due to stability problems. A 65W chip (even AMD) will probably be okay as long as you aren't intentionally loading it 100% all the time (running Folding or whatever).

Are you trying to get some gaming prowess in a VESA mount box?

If you look at that SPCR review, you need to look at page 3 as that has power consumption for IGP tests. Page 5 has a discrete card added. IGP tests put power consumption around 85-90W with prime and furmark (both of which stress the CPU/GPU to the max). You shouldn't hit those levels for everyday tasks.

Ah, I missed that page, thanks.

I know of one person that had a normal wattage A10, and they ended up having to go with a higher wattage Pico PSU due to stability problems. A 65W chip (even AMD) will probably be okay as long as you aren't intentionally loading it 100% all the time (running Folding or whatever).

Are you trying to get some gaming prowess in a VESA mount box?

Yeah basically. I have a lot of solo-traveling for work coming up and think it'd be fun to bring a little tiny gaming box around with me to the hotels. I also have always wanted to go as small as I can, with as much "oomph" as I can pack in the box, for the challenge of it. I was previously looking at the 310-150 and I've seen your builds in that, which are great, but I have sort of been obsessed with this little bugger for a while.:D

310-150 PRO
1) 150W would be enough for either a Radeon 7750 or a full wattage A10-6800.
2) Has room for a LP Radeon 7750.
3) Only a bit bigger than the 110 + power brick.
4) If you forget/lose the power cord, uses a normal one. 110 requires a power brick.
5) Unofficially has room for more than two 2.5" drives. If not going with optical drive, can even do four HDDs.
CON
1) A bit bigger than 110.
2) A big heavier than 110.

Of course depends on what games you play as to whether the bit of extra prowess would be useful.

The extra power would probably show, I'd likely be playing stuff like Borderlands 2, maybe GTA V, but I'm fine with low settings for the convenience of occasionally playing this stuff on the go.

I tried googling pics of the 310 and the 110 side by side but couldn't find any. The size & weight are important to me--I'd like something I can slip into a carry-on on a plane and almost forget it's there-- but if it's not that much bigger I might go for it. From the pics of the 310 it does look a bit longer.

Back