5700X "Quick n Easy" OC Assistance

horrorshow

Lakewood Original
Greetings [H] brethren,

Well, I upgraded to a 5700X a couple weeks ago and it's been running GREAT.

- Only caveat is, when I turn on PBO the temps jump to 80c at load (and I swear I hear a occasional tiny squeal kinda like coil-whine emanating from the area....) I'm assuming due to it feeding the CPU too much voltage?

Now, with PBO turned OFF, everything's gravy. 55c max temps, no intermediate "whine" sound etc etc.

ANYWAYS, I've heard a lot of people mention vcore offset / manual OCing and what-not.

TLDR: For a 5700X, should I do a manual OC/set voltage [if so what do you guys recommend I set it to - without me needing to fiddle/stress test for hours] OR should I re-enable PBO and do a vcore negative offset [if so, what should the offset be?? I wanna say I've heard people mention 0.05 and 0.1v etc etc]

As always thanks for the assist everybody!! (y)

You have two options:
1. Enabled PBO again, but do the negative Curve Optimizer, for example -40 on all core.
Pros: the single core will boost a bit better, temp. will definitely be lower
Cons: the multi core boost will depend on your case by case usage and thermal headroom of your cooling

5700x have it's single core boost at 4600mhz, if you enable PBO, then the all core clock will range maybe from 4100 to max 4300mhz.

2. Do all core OC, and then verify which one require the lowest vcore and the best single / multi core clock.
You can start with 4500mhz 1.2v, set the LLC to Level 3 (all on bios) and then run cinebench r23 10 minutes loop or cinebench 2024 to check whether that combination can pass the tests.

My previous ryzen 5600x can do 4650mhz and after many cpu tests, it will stabilize at 1.225v.
It's single core boost based on spec is 4600mhz, so I gain 50mhz more clock and more stable multi core performance.

Hope you don't mind me adding to the thread, rather than start a new one I have some related 5700X OC questions.

Currently I'm just running the standard MSI Game boost OC settings on mine, I notice that wattage to the package often exceeds 120w and the Core 100w+.
I get good clocks (4.9) and maintain low temps, it's very stable and I have had zero issues and it scores 856 on Cinebench 24.

Is the silicon really comfortable running like that long term?

Once I managed to get 5.4MHz by boosting voltage and still kept temps low, but that was just a mess around and I haven't run it like that since.

What are the tolerances for these CPU's? If temps remain low and the system is stable is it fine to continue?
What does 100w+ do to 65w CPUs?

Attachments

• 5.4GHz.JPG
    5.4GHz.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • cpu stats.JPG
    cpu stats.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Currently I'm just running the standard MSI Game boost OC settings on mine, I notice that wattage to the package often exceeds 120w and the Core 100w+.
I get good clocks (4.9) and maintain low temps, it's very stable and I have had zero issues and it scores 856 on Cinebench 24.
That's quite a good clock. Do you run it with voltage offset to minus (-) ?
Or just MSI Game boost OC?

Is the silicon really comfortable running like that long term?
1.4v on single core boost and 1.3v for all core boost is quite modest, and the max temp your system recorded was 80.8c on the CCD, so it's still within safe range.

What are the tolerances for these CPU's? If temps remain low and the system is stable is it fine to continue?
What does 100w+ do to 65w CPUs?
1. Low temp is the start, if it's still under 90c on CPU heavy load, then it's fine for your daily usage
2. As long as your CPU cooler can handle it, nothing to worry about, hence #1 point above

Reactions: Folly
like this
That's quite a good clock. Do you run it with voltage offset to minus (-) ?
Or just MSI Game boost OC?

1.4v on single core boost and 1.3v for all core boost is quite modest, and the max temp your system recorded was 80.8c on the CCD, so it's still within safe range.

1. Low temp is the start, if it's still under 90c on CPU heavy load, then it's fine for your daily usage
2. As long as your CPU cooler can handle it, nothing to worry about, hence #1 point above
Thank you for the reply!

Just MSI Game boost OC, I thought about under volting but have no experience with doing that.
To be honest I'm just happy with the performance as it is, and like you say as long as the temps remain where they are there's little to fear, so why tinker further?

Credit has to go to the case and cooler, FT-02 and NH-D15, massive OP heatsink and superb airflow.

Back