1.29375v Default Core i7 930 Vcore = >95C

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
So apparently the 930 I bought has a default Vcore of 1.29375v which causes it to hit >95C and eventually reboot on a properly seated default cooler. I can easily under-volt it to 1.11875v with no problems.

It still seems like a defective chip that I wouldn't feel comfortable selling. What should I do?

where did you buy it from? can you return it? are you 100% sure the heatsink is properly seated? it certainly doesnt sound like it is..... that is certainly way too hot for stock settings.

where did you buy it from? can you return it? are you 100% sure the heatsink is properly seated? it certainly doesnt sound like it is..... that is certainly way too hot for stock settings.
i'm going with this guy. when i hooked up a new hsf on my q6600 for the first time a similar temp was recorded.

1.294V is way too high stock. What motherboard? I've tested 5 i7 930s recently and they were no where near that with the standard BIOS settings. Is that >95C load or is it reaching that even at idle? I could believe when benchmarking at stock speeds at 1.294V that it might reach those temperatures under full load. What are the temps when under volted?

I dont remember what the stock voltages were in the 930s I looked at, overclocked them pretty much soon after getting them and forgot what the stock settings were, but it definitely wasn't anywhere near 1.29, all of them only need ~1.21-1.23V to run at just over 3.5GHz.

Do you happened to have a MSI board, using OC Genie?

When I was testing the OC Genie for the first time, it would OC it to 3.5Ghz, but shot the Vcore up to 1.29 - 1.30

I have since disabled OC Genie and did a manual OC instead.

thats really fing high. My 930 was 1V flat default V. 1.294 is substantially higher I get a mild overclock with nothing near that V.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R running bios FB (latest)

Those temps are under full P95 load with default voltage. The chip can run at 1.11875 with 68C max p95 full load no problem. The default is just crazy high.

have you tried it in another board? 920s dont have a VID, and i assumed 930s were the same (i could be wrong). but it could be that its just your mobo using that default voltage for some reason and not the cpu. sorta like how a lot of the time a mobo will set ram timings higher than theyre supposed to be and you have to manually set them to what theyre rated for. if possible id suggest trying the cpu in another board and seeing what default vcore it gives you.

otherwise, i dont see a problem with selling it and just leaving out whatever BS voltage the board gives you, and just say explicitly that it boots at X ghz at Y voltage and is p95 stable and maxes at Z degrees C. thats all that matters.

So why not set it to 1.11875 and forget it?

Have you tried updating the bios? Maybe it's a bug...

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R running bios FB (latest)

Those temps are under full P95 load with default voltage. The chip can run at 1.11875 with 68C max p95 full load no problem. The default is just crazy high.

That's the exact motherboard that are in the 5 i7 930 machines I've been using and the default is much lower than 1.29.

Try and update the BIOS and reset to optimised defaults and see if that works.

So why not set it to 1.11875 and forget it?

I believe manually undervolting actually removes some of the power saving features that are normally enabled, so you might reduce power consumption under load but increase it at idle. If it were me, I'd rather just have it working properly at default settings ;)

You sure about that? With my experience of forgetting to turn speedstep off, i've had voltage change on my 860 IIRC...

I believe manually undervolting actually removes some of the power saving features that are normally enabled, so you might reduce power consumption under load but increase it at idle. If it were me, I'd rather just have it working properly at default settings ;)

it shouldnt automatically turn off speedstep. if it does, its a simple case of going back and turning it back on manually.

it shouldnt automatically turn off speedstep. if it does, its a simple case of going back and turning it back on manually.

Must just be my mobo then, the default setting is off as soon as you change a voltage and re-enabling it causes questionable stability regardless of whether you increased or decreased voltage. It may just be my mobo because my mobo has terrible voltage regulation, it jumps all over the place even with power saving features off.

default voltage for cpu 920 and 930 on my dfi board is 1.24v....
i have mine set to 1.15v with speed step and power saving features,turbo boost etc..and im running
bclk @170 ,all other voltages stk default..ive measured them with my dvom and they are spot on with bios settings..
my idle temp is 38-42c and my load temps with occt are 68-72c and all this with a xigmatek cobra 92mm fan setup to run off my fan controller manually...i have a lian li pc 17 case with very good air flow..
under load i see my cpu voltage go from 1.15 to 1.18...this rig is stable as a rock and this dfi board is the best board out of a total of 3 ive had in this case...
the 2 other boards ive had, evga sli le and asus p6t all set default cpu voltage at 1.24v if i remember correctly...1.29v is crazy for stk or mild o/clock....

Last edited:
Back