Would you still use this drive? Bad sector, testing program says it's fixed

Blazestorm

Supreme [H]ardness
So I got a 1TB 7200.11 drive... at one point it was booting and giving disk errors / click of death.

I unplugged it and brought it upstairs for more testing, it shows up just fine and is running fine. I'm sorta paranoid so I make a full ghost/backup. I go back down to the server and install it, boots up and looks like it'll work but then gives a registry error, I ran chkdsk and it got worse. Then I try a re-install the server OS with the disk. That failed, then I tried a new install and that failed. I go wtf? bring it back up stairs and test and get a bad sector pretty early on with HD Tune.

Then I run WD Diagnostics full test, it finds bad sectors but says it can repair them, so I click that and says it was successful, I ran another full test (3.5 hours later) I get a result saying it passed... Sorta in disbeliefe I run HD Tune and see the bad sector is gone from there too.. Now I let it keep going so I could see if there's anything towards the end.

But based on all that, would you keep using the drive, or RMA it?

tberror1.png

tberror2.png

If more pop up soon, I'd worry. But if it is just one and others don't show up right away eh I'd still be using it.

I agree with thebeephaha. All drives have extra capacity reserved for the remapping of physical bad sectors. One sector - especially if the WD utility repaired (remapped) the problem spot - wouldn't bother me. If you get some after this, then it's time for an RMA.

With that being said - I wouldn't store the only copy of the unpublished novel you've been working on for the past 10 years on that drive ;)

It's just holding the OS for my WHS... so nothing important is stored... folders are duplicated etc.

But I think I will plug-in that external drive I have laying around, and have WHS backup it's own OS to that.

Thanks, I guess my backup didn't copy right, most of the files are there but windows won't boot, so I'll just reinstall it.

Back