World of Warships Enters Open Beta!

Played Fuso once yesterday. Kept overpening a Konigsberg even though I was landing repeated AP rounds on citadel and on the spot between the two rear turrets. I know heavy rounds can overpen light armor but I'm pretty sure they'll still blow if they contact engines, machinery or multiple ammo rounds lol .

I did kill two DD"s rather easy though. Destroyed a Nicholas that was chasing me with repeated HE rounds to his front. At the end a Fuijin surprised me by appearing 5 km away from me. Darn islands!

My Fuso broadside was parallel to him so I blew him up with a single HE salvo :D

I have noticed on the Iowa, that I can use AP on t8-t10 DDs, i'm doing roughly 4500dmg per 3 shells, so if all 9 connect, it can be close to or instant death, ( don't stay on AP, but I won't switch and wait without firing first)

Finally got around to getting the minekaze, that's a good boat. I think the downside of playing US, Russia and IJN DD's is I sometimes fall into the trap of being too aggressive with the IJN. I'll do a couple initial torp runs on the early arrivers, then I'll see a BB or something seemingly out by himself and figure "I can take him". Well, he's probably not alone. I end up being in the octagon with 3 or 4 ships and running for my life on fire and with destroyed guns or torp tubes.

I either die early, or make it to the end. Rarely one of the middle ships out.

Finally got around to getting the minekaze, that's a good boat. I think the downside of playing US, Russia and IJN DD's is I sometimes fall into the trap of being too aggressive with the IJN. I'll do a couple initial torp runs on the early arrivers, then I'll see a BB or something seemingly out by himself and figure "I can take him". Well, he's probably not alone. I end up being in the octagon with 3 or 4 ships and running for my life on fire and with destroyed guns or torp tubes.

The US and Russian DDs shred IJN DDs with their guns :p at least up to T7, I'm not sure how much better the Fubuki is ! Don't underestimate BBs, good BB captains won't run from DDs. I had a Benson chasing behind me , I turned and lit him up pretty quick :)

Yeah, I rarely use the guns on the IJN's unless I'm about to die or finishing off a kill that only has a couple hundred HP left. I wish there was an option to just take them off and get more speed..lol.

Yeah, I rarely use the guns on the IJN's unless I'm about to die or finishing off a kill that only has a couple hundred HP left. I wish there was an option to just take them off and get more speed..lol.

it gets better at the Mitsuki and Hatsuharu, I do decent damage with the turrets on the hatsuharu, just so slow to turn and fire.... I'm stuck between last stand , AFT, and the turret rotation skill... so many to chose from.

The issue is, the US and Russian ships, have more guns, that fire faster :) so if you straight up miss your torps, and are stuck in a gun fight, you better be squirmy and dance around!

The US and Russian DDs shred IJN DDs with their guns :p at least up to T7, I'm not sure how much better the Fubuki is ! Don't underestimate BBs, good BB captains won't run from DDs. I had a Benson chasing behind me , I turned and lit him up pretty quick :)

the fubuki guns aren't any better, over all IJN is outclassed by the russians and USN's guns. it's just that small window T6/7 where the IJN guns are almost good enough to use as a primary aggression.

yeah i don't run from DD's i welcome them to try and kill my BB's, so much fun killing DD's with battleship guns. :) whats also fun in two shotting DDs from range because they don't bother to look up and see a wall of lead falling on them from my fuso.

yeah you definitely have to play IJN DD's in bitch mode. once you get spotted you're pretty much dead.

What does that high pitched plink sound you hear from time to time after a hit mean? It's like the one you hear when you blow a ship up, but without the ship blowing up.

Looks like an x3 bonus today for veterans day instead of daily 1.5x. Might be some good stacking available with premium & the +50% xp flag.

Looks like an x3 bonus today for veterans day instead of daily 1.5x. Might be some good stacking available with premium & the +50% xp flag.

sadly i wasted every single one of mine, thanks WG'ing for putting all my ships in matches 2 tiers above them, you're matchmaking is awesome..

gnevny, was against T7+ on twin bothers, couldn't do dick and died 5 minutes in got 800 XP
fuso, got placed in a T8-10 match got HE spammed by a mahan and just burned to death and finished off by a double citadel from a yamato from 20km away, mind you the shots never touched me on my screen, got 800 xp
my carrier i got stuck in a game vs an essex and ranger, both fighter heavy configs.. won that game, got 1000 xp woo go me..
yorck my game DC'd right at the start came back dead because the enemy T8 IJN carrier put 3 waves of torps into my ship or so my team said, team won..

finally i gave up.. pretty much been my luck in every game when trying to use my daily XP bonuses.. really getting irritating. it's not even like i have a stupid high winrate or anything. there should be absolutely no reason i should keep getting stuck in games 2 tiers higher than me.

Only half my ships got the 3xp. I never understand wit that thing is doing. The rest are blank.

Only half my ships got the 3xp. I never understand wit that thing is doing. The rest are blank.

apparently a 24 hour thing, if you played late last night, you won't see the 3x on those ships until late tonight. A couple of mine were the same way, then they appeared more recently.

sadly i wasted every single one of mine, thanks WG'ing for putting all my ships in matches 2 tiers above them, you're matchmaking is awesome..

gnevny, was against T7+ on twin bothers, couldn't do dick and died 5 minutes in got 800 XP
fuso, got placed in a T8-10 match got HE spammed by a mahan and just burned to death and finished off by a double citadel from a yamato from 20km away, mind you the shots never touched me on my screen, got 800 xp
my carrier i got stuck in a game vs an essex and ranger, both fighter heavy configs.. won that game, got 1000 xp woo go me..
yorck my game DC'd right at the start came back dead because the enemy T8 IJN carrier put 3 waves of torps into my ship or so my team said, team won..

finally i gave up.. pretty much been my luck in every game when trying to use my daily XP bonuses.. really getting irritating. it's not even like i have a stupid high winrate or anything. there should be absolutely no reason i should keep getting stuck in games 2 tiers higher than me.

I bought premium to move up some commanders, so coupled with the +50% flags from the phantom event, I had almost 8k pts each on murmansk & minekaze. And they weren't even all that good of games, I was hoping I would have one really good match where if I could get around 1900 base, I'd hit that 10k mark.

Do captain points correlate to XP points?

In other words, in a game, if you get 1000 XP, does that mean your captain gained 1000 XP ?

0.5.1.1 Notes

Fixed an issue that made it impossible to penetrate the citadel in cases where the shell passed through water
The hull column has been widended for select ships with an alternate hull configuration (Farragut, Mahan, Benson)
Fixed the display of ships' names in port -- they're now displayed in CAPS
Returned a notification sound for the start of battle for cases when the game window is minimized
Decreased the overall music volume and increased the overall volume for other sound effects
Changed the capture sound for control points in Domination mode
Fixed an issue causing black areas to appear after the game window size was changed
Fixed an issue keeping the "Superintendent" skill bonus from properly displaying in Port
Fixed an issue keeping the "Fire Control System Modification 1" modernization bonus from properly displaying in Port
Fixed an issue keeping the bonus for the "Equal Speed Charlie London" signal flag from applying properly (Due to this issue, we're investigating how many ESCL flags were used between upate 0.5.1 and 0.5.1.1 and plan to compensate players by returning any of those flags that were used. This will take more than a few days to compile. Thank you for your patience.)

Hopefully the AP thing is fixed.

0.5.1.1 Notes

Fixed an issue that made it impossible to penetrate the citadel in cases where the shell passed through water
The hull column has been widended for select ships with an alternate hull configuration (Farragut, Mahan, Benson)
Fixed the display of ships' names in port -- they're now displayed in CAPS
Returned a notification sound for the start of battle for cases when the game window is minimized
Decreased the overall music volume and increased the overall volume for other sound effects
Changed the capture sound for control points in Domination mode
Fixed an issue causing black areas to appear after the game window size was changed
Fixed an issue keeping the "Superintendent" skill bonus from properly displaying in Port
Fixed an issue keeping the "Fire Control System Modification 1" modernization bonus from properly displaying in Port
Fixed an issue keeping the bonus for the "Equal Speed Charlie London" signal flag from applying properly (Due to this issue, we're investigating how many ESCL flags were used between upate 0.5.1 and 0.5.1.1 and plan to compensate players by returning any of those flags that were used. This will take more than a few days to compile. Thank you for your patience.)

Still not fixed. My Fuso is borderline unplayable :rolleyes:

Still not fixed. My Fuso is borderline unplayable :rolleyes:

i'll play my fuso and see how it goes, it was already borderline unplayable before the patch so it's not like they could make it worse.

edit: AP on the fuso is working perfectly now.. not at the level's it was before the 5.1 patch but that was unintended anyways so i'm fine with where it's at now... dispersion on BB's is still fucked and the accuracy upgrade still doesn't do anything but those are different issues.

Last edited:
Game still plays like shit. Can't play battleships without overpenning everything that isn't another battleship; out of nearly 3 dozen hits on enemy cruisers only 1 wasn't an overpen. Then I go against an enemy North Carolina in my Tirpitz and do 40k in two salvos. What the fuck

Last edited:
Man, I am glad I just simply stopped playing. It seems to get more bizarre every update. Oh well, OBT was fun.

I don't know what the minekaze was like before the recent nerf (since I just got it), but that thing is a beast. Great to get in close to other DD's, use 2 or 4 torps to steer them a bit, then close and turn inside them for a point blank with the last 2. Takes a bit of a gun beating doing it though..

I don't know what the minekaze was like before the recent nerf (since I just got it), but that thing is a beast. Great to get in close to other DD's, use 2 or 4 torps to steer them a bit, then close and turn inside them for a point blank with the last 2. Takes a bit of a gun beating doing it though..

Minekaze was always my favorite jap DD. Gets more boring from there IMO.

Last edited:
Game still plays like shit. Can't play battleships without overpenning everything that isn't another battleship; out of nearly 3 dozen hits on enemy cruisers only 1 wasn't an overpen. Then I go against an enemy North Carolina in my Tirpitz and do 40k in two salvos. What the fuck

How do you tell when something over penetrates? No score?

Get a Murmansk and HE everything /thread

How do you tell when something over penetrates? No score?

Overpen = 10% of maximum shell damage. For instance, Yamato has 14800 maximum AP damage with a citadel pen so the overpen damage will be 1480. 1350 for the Iowa/Montana, 1120 for Tirpitz, etc etc.

Get a Murmansk and HE everything /thread

I have a Murmy and it really isn't a good HE spammer for me at the moment because the no-smoke smokestacks completely screw with my lead.

Minekaze was always my favorite jap DD. Gets more boring from there IMO.

yeah I see that mentioned a lot. I'm not sure I'm planning on moving past T5 or so (maybe a tier 6 cleveland would be fun). Seems like most people say that area is the most fun. And obviously once there, I don't need to spend any more money. The BB and that style of play don't suit me, so not much point moving up.

they took away the slow ass 10km torps and increased the detection range slightly but other than that it's pretty much the same ship as it was before.

I have to say, I severely under-estimated how fun US DDS would be to play.

I skipped right to the Nicholas, man, that thing is beastly! Probably the most fun I've had playing a DD. The Japanese DDs are a different play style all together, a lot more ninja / stealth.

in a few days of playing it, I've managed 2 100K + Damage rounds ! awesome.

Overpen = 10% of maximum shell damage. For instance, Yamato has 14800 maximum AP damage with a citadel pen so the overpen damage will be 1480. 1350 for the Iowa/Montana, 1120 for Tirpitz, etc etc.

I have a Murmy and it really isn't a good HE spammer for me at the moment because the no-smoke smokestacks completely screw with my lead.

Thanks for the info !

Glad some of you have time to watch all these numbers flying around :)

What are some of your names in the game? Be interesting to see if the paths ever cross in there.
I'm iadave.

Steel_Castles. I'll be the one run aground if things are going according to normal.

I have a pretty aggressive play style.

Back