Windows 7 error code 43 (USB error), how do I fix it?

Kabob

2[H]4U
When attempting to use my external HDD I get a "USB Device Not Recognized" error code 43 and I have no clue how to fix it. Looked all over online but there seems to be no definitive fix, I've updated the bios, deleted all my USB controllers and rebooted, etc. Any ideas?

Have you tried it on another computer or another cable if possible, sometimes the USB portion of external drives fail and you end up having to rip the drive apart to put it in another enclosure to get the data.

Have you tried it on another computer or another cable if possible, sometimes the USB portion of external drives fail and you end up having to rip the drive apart to put it in another enclosure to get the data.

yeah that was going to be my next line of questioning. try it on another computer, could just be that the enclosure itself is bad. or the drive in it.

Try it in another computer and see if it works. If not then you know there is an issue with the enclosure. Like Javelin3o4 said, sometimes the USB part of them fails.

if you take the drive apart, there is probably a SATA drive inside the unit. you could always take that out and try to plug it in directly to the computer and see if the drive works that way if you aren't able to get it working on anything else through USB.

Drive works perfectly fine on our other computers, my desktop is the only one that it doesn't. I've also tried another USB cable.

It's a 500GB WD IDE drive (I know because I put it there :p) in an old Maxtor enclosure.

Back