Why is this happening?

illuminate

[H]ard|Gawd
My friend just recently bought a motherboard and CPU. I'm not 100% sure why this is happening, so ill post what he said is happening.

First, the motherboard is here: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=P6N_SLI-FI&class=mb
CPU here:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

Here is what he said is happening:

I press DEL to run BIOS setup, I get this:

--------------------------------

A7350NMS V2.3 071207

Intel ® Core™2 CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz, Speed: 335x6=2010 MHz

A 333MHz system bus processor is installed. This processor is not supported on this system board, and will run at reduced processor clock speed. System performance will be impacted.

Do you wish to continue to boot at 200MHz system bus and reduced processor speed? (Y/N)

Press [Y] to continue or press [N] to shutdown.

-----------------------------

Ok, so I have two problems really. One is that this processor perfectly fit all the requirments the board has for CPU's. So this makes no sense to me.

Second, even if I do decide to continue, after I hit "Y" I get this, and then nothing happens and the keyboard quits working again.

-----------------------------

A7350NMS V2.3 071207

Intel ® Core™2 CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz, Speed: 335x6=2010 MHz

A 333MHz system bus processor is installed. This processor is not supported on this system board, and will run at reduced processor clock speed. System performance will be impacted.

Do you wish to continue to boot at 200MHz system bus and reduced processor speed? (Y/N)

Press [Y] to continue or press [N] to shutdown.

DDR2 Speed = 800MHz, Dual-Channel
Press F11 for BBS POPUP
Initializing USB Controllers .. Done.
4096MB OK

Anyone have any idea?

He did not update the BIOS. I just told him...

... but he's unsure on how to, and honestly, i've never done it either. How do i/we go about updating it?

You can probably load it off a usb flash drive on that board since it's newer. The traditional way is off a floppy.
Download the latest bios for that EXACT board from MSI. Copy it to the usb stick. Reboot the computer, go into the bios and run the bios flash utility. Inside the utility you should be able to select the flash drive and locate the file you downloaded. Run the update process, reboot, go back into the bios and load defaults, reboot, set everything up and you're done.
Be very careful that you do not lose power while you're flashing the bios... it will toast your board.

download the bios to a cd.......make computer boot from cd and i assume bios will update. in the old days you could do it from a floppy. im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

One more thing you should take into account is that the website says this regarding 333MHz FSB CPUs:
FSB 1333 requires FSB 1333 CPU and manual FSB adjustment in the BIOS
So if you can get the board to boot with the chip, you'll probably still need to manually set the FSB speed to 333MHz to get it to run at full speed.

Back