Why compression fittings?

x509

2[H]4U
What are the advantages of compression fittings over hose clamps? Disadvantages?

Are there conditions where it would be difficult or impossible to tighten down the compression fittings?

Thanks.:)

x509

compression fitting
advantage: easy to install, looks good, safest fitting ever
disadvantage, tube ID and OD need to be exact in order to fit in. realatively more expensive

barb fitting
advantage: as long as the tube ID fits the barb, you can use any wall thickness of tube
disadvantage: looks ugly to me, clamps doesn't feel as safe as using compression fitting, although i have never had any problem with using barb before.

compression fitting
disadvantage, tube ID and OD need to be exact in order to fit in. realatively more expensive

barb fitting
advantage: as long as the tube ID fits the barb, you can use any wall thickness of tube
disadvantage: looks ugly to me, clamps doesn't feel as safe as using compression fitting, although i have never had any problem with using barb before.
That about sums it up, though I was responsible for one setup where the plastic-style clamps, even though they were tight, somehow left a gap under the seam where the water developed a very slow leak. Replacement clamp didn't fix it, second clamp didn't fix it, and zip ties didn't fix it. Ended up having to replace the length of tubing (after draining the whole loop!), and used "proper" worm-drive clamps afterwards. Since then, I don't trust the plastic squeeze clamps, and don't like using worm-drives since it's easy to accidentally slice the tubing by overtightening. Compression fittings eliminate all of this hassle, provided you match the tubing to the fitting.

i think compression fittings is a good investment, since you already invested 100s of $$$ in your precious hardware.

Never had any problems with clamp and barb fittings. BP compression fittings are just really popular right now and very expensive, but people pay for them so its really up to you if the look is worth 10X the price.

compression fitting

barb fitting

That post is spot on. Price being equal I would always go with compression. They are quite a bit more expensive especially if you are using a lot of them.

I think the only real decision is do I want to pay for it, is it worth it to me.
That's what it comes down to.

to give you another way to look at it, compression fittings are commonly used in home repair for gas and water pipes, and they are code approved. hose clamps are not accepted for most repairs, but really it comes down to the individual application. for the low pressure watercooling uses, barb and clamp would be just fine (every car in the world uses clamps to hold their waterpipes).

the compression fittings are generally regarded as the best from an engineering standpoint, so im guessing thats why people like them. however, not only the initial cost of compression sucks, they also work best only when new and a clamp and bard system can be resused many times.

Alternatively, you don't have to use clamps on barbs if you use a slightly smaller diameter tubing pushed onto the barb. Example: 7/16" tubing on a 1/2" barb. I use this method regularly if I'm not using compression fittings. Here's an example...

tubing_plumbdone1.jpg

Very secure and looks a lot better than using a clamp.

Compression fitting give a nice professional look.:D
There is no need to use a clamp that can break, or cut into the tubing.
Fittings can be purchased that allow routing at angles that are impossible with any other fitting.

BitsPower does make the coolest and sharpest fittings on the market, a bit pricey, but are reusable over and over. I have some in my current computer I've used in three other builds.
I have never not been able to get the fitting tight, and tight by hand is about all you need to insure a good fit.
The best price typically is at Sidewinder, although Performance has the largest inventory.

Alternatively, you don't have to use clamps on barbs if you use a slightly smaller diameter tubing pushed onto the barb. Example: 7/16" tubing on a 1/2" barb. I use this method regularly if I'm not using compression fittings. Here's an example...

Very secure and looks a lot better than using a clamp.

hope you don't get a leak it is very unpleasant.

hope you don't get a leak it is very unpleasant.

After probably 40+ systems built, odds are it won't happen. :) But you're right; I've seen leaks happen to folks and it does suck, but mostly that happens from negligence and lack of preparation. Sometimes, luck is just bad.

Barb and worm drive clamps are still good for at least 70-90 PSI with the right tubing. It's not a low-pressure only method. To me compression fittings are a looks thing more than anything else. I know lots of people use the smaller diameter tubes with no clamp but I would have a lot of reservations about trusting that even at the low pressures of a watercooling system. How hard is it to just put the worm-drive part behind the tube so you can't see much of it.

After probably 40+ systems built, odds are it won't happen. :) But you're right; I've seen leaks happen to folks and it does suck, but mostly that happens from negligence and lack of preparation. Sometimes, luck is just bad.

Well there is always a false sense of security that is when you pull the tube over a barb that is bigger than its supposed to.

First when you pull you are exercising the wrong forcse so to speak you are compressing the tube you will even have a hard time trying to pull 1/2" tube over 1/2" barb out.

With the time your tube is going to lose elasticity and will get harder depending on which brand you chose and one day when the pump goes off which exercises the right force to mess things up.

When the pump starts working the pressure of the system goes up and expands the tubing and some unlucky day you may have a spring leak. It will sure happen if you had a iwaki RD-30 but with smaller pumps it could just be a matter of time.

Like i said it won't happen but it may. Persoanlly i will never do such a built myself. I use worm clamps or compression fittings.

I've read information that said that compression fittings hinder waterflow...so if you're super worried about that then I'd go without compression. Otherwise, it's completely up to you. I currently use 7/16" on 1/2" with zip ties and it works great.

I've read information that said that compression fittings hinder waterflow...so if you're super worried about that then I'd go without compression. Otherwise, it's completely up to you. I currently use 7/16" on 1/2" with zip ties and it works great.

I'd like to see that article.;)

I am going to disagree with compression fittings hindering water flow. They do not reduce the diameter of the line and should not reduce flow.

Good point about the different angles available too. The cleanest and neatest possible setup is with compression fittings. It just looks good. It can enhance performance if you look at it as cutting down the length of the hose and making it more efficient.

zip ties wtf? might as well not have them at all. definitely not designed to clamp hose on to barbs.

I used zip ties for the first day when I was testing everything out. They did not work well at all. A small leak occurred because the zip tie wasn't adequate pressure to keep it on. So I went to Microcenter and bought some metal hose clamps...which I'm pretty sure the cashier rang up wrong. Eight hose clamps for $1.50? Anyways, I can barely see the clamps. The only clamps I can see are the ones outside my case. If I wanted to spend some money and do the bleeding process all over again, I might get compression fittings for the outside.

Metal hose clamps work just fine. I'm not so sure about plastic ones.

I've used stainless hose clamps, the koollance pressure clamps,and herbie clamps.

hose clamps tend to ruin the tubing.
the koolance clamps loose their strength over time if reused.
the herbie clamp is a pain in the ass to remove, but can be reused.

Overall, the compression fittings have been the best for me in terms of reliability (never had a leak), re-usability, routing,ease of use and looks.:D

I have built 3 watercooled systems...never had any leaks, (Other than a reservoir failure once), certainly no hose/barb leaks...compression fitting are ok in my book but sometimes a pain in the ass to work with as they can have a tendency to torque the hose and are sometimes difficult to secure fully in tight spaces...there are such a variety of metal hose clamps that you should find something that is aesthetically compatible with your rig...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_298

Also, if you use a reservoir with some air space at the top and bleed off all the air properly when you first build or change your loop you are not really running a high pressure system....the water circulates with very little resistance..the exception being when it enters a restrictive block like say a ram heatsink or northbridge block...hence the metal hose clamps.

I
the koolance clamps loose their strength over time if reused.
i also think they're a major ripoff. 5x the price of a herbie.

also, as a warning to those using the stainless clamps (worm drive / the one with the screw), don't use these with plastic fittings, you may over tighten the clamp causing the fitting to crack.

Back