Which Switch, Router, Hub to Make 4 Ports into 8

dugn

Limp Gawd
I have a D-Link DGL-4500 that works just fine for my 4-port Gigabit wired and 1-2 wireless port use. Now need more wired ports and need recommendations on what I need.

Up 'til now, I used the wired ports for My Machine, Wifey's machine, WHS and Media Center. Now I'm adding two more to the (wired) mix - a Print/Scan Server and a Workstation occasional use - and need to extend the 4 ports in the router/access point to service 6+ wired ports.

Gigabit is an absolute requirement (10/100 is just too slow anymore). An unmanaged device is also a requirement (I need it to be as simple as my 16-port NetGear 10/100 FS116 I use for LAN parties). A bonus would be jumbo frame support since 2 of my machines benefit from Jumbo - but not a requirement since I just theroretically keep the 2 machines that Jumbo each other on the 4500.

I'm hoping to do this for under $120, but if it's the right solution, $ isn't a blocker.

Help me out so I can buy what I need and stop unplugging and re-plugging machines as I need them! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good stuff. I got the NetGear GS106, but that TrendNet got such high marks, I wish I would have gotten that one instead.

Either way, everything's working perfectly and I'm not unplugging and plugging-in cables all the time now. Thanks for the recommendations!

Back