Which OS? Windows 7?? Server Platform??

Guido02

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I have 2 HTPC's and 1 main desktop PC that handles my workload. I also have 2 netbooks, 1 16" Laptop, and 1 Current model 15" Macbook Pro. I want to create a server of some sort that will server/stream video(HD) content to the HTPC's without either of them having to store the content on the individual machines. I also want to be able to share other programs and documents btween these computers. But I'm not sure if I need a server software for this dedicated machine. My server will have a total of 5TB's at this point in time, and will definitely be upgraded in the near future.(This may be another thread because I might upgrade some hardware sooner than later.) What are my options? I am somewhat familiar with Linux as well. A frined recommended redhat, but I had trouble finding a version to download and try.

Thanks everyone

Actually, it would be really nice to have a sticky on setting up a streaming media server. The problem with searching in this case is not knowing where to begin.

We should have a sticky with just setting up a file server in general; I see a lot of the same questions with similar answers on this topic.

To help you quickly, what hardware do you already have with regards to the server? You said you are familiar with Linux, have you looked at ZFS? If you want something super simple, you could try Windows Home Server. In any case, you really should find out what OS you would like to use on your server. Here are some cliff notes to get you started:

ZFS: Linux/BSD, Checksums to protect data, RAID 5/6-like redundancy, can add drives at a later time to expand the pool (but only in sets of 2 or more).

Windows Home Server (WHS): Windows Server, Checksums only exist in Vail (currently in development), RAID 1-like redundancy (need 2x amount of drives), selective redundancy based on content type, can add drives at a later time individually, very simple to setup.

Linux Software RAID: Linux/BSD, No checksums but high availability, Any RAID configuration, can expand array at a later time in some cases.

Windows Software RAID: Windows, No checksums, Any RAID configuration, you cannot expand the array at a later time, Linux Soft-RAID is recommended if you do not need a full Windows Environment.

Windows Hardware RAID: Windows, expensive, no checksums but high availability, Any RAID configuration, can expand array at a later time in some cases.

Hope this helps!

-Cool-

Last edited:
Windows hardware raid is expandable if the card has Online capacity expansion... which I've seen a lot that do.

Linux Software RAID: Linux/BSD, No checksums but high availability, Any RAID configuration, you cannot expand the array at a later time!

What? You can easily expand linux software raid. I have done this for years mostly with raid5 or raid6. It takes like 4 times as long as a rebuild so it may take more than a day instead of 8 hours or so. With recent kernels you can even change between raid levels (not sure what options are enabled now).

Last edited:
For my own edification...

Windows hardware raid is expandable if the card has Online capacity expansion... which I've seen a lot that do.

What is the typical turnover time for this activity? How expensive are cards with this ability? Is the array available during the expansion? Can you expand more than 1 drive at a time?

What? You can easily expand linux software raid. I have done this for years mostly with raid5 or raid6. It takes like 4 times as long as a rebuild so it may take more than a day instead of 8 hours or so. With recent kernels you can even change between raid levels (not sure what options are enabled now).

Is the array available during the expansion? Can you expand more than 1 drive at a time?

-Cool-

So I know you mentioned that I should search this topic, but based on the answers I have received so far, thfreeaccount said it best that I would have no idea what to search for. I wasnt' even thinking about RAID in any way. I was just interested in one pc storing all this various data and information, and then being able to share it to my other computers so that I don't have to have a bunch of redundant information on multiple machines. Obviously the most important aspect here is the HTPC's. I really don't want to have to rip my DVD's to both PC's or rip to one and transfer to another.

The current planned setup for my makeshift server is as follows:

CPU: Intel E2140
MoBo: Intel D946GCCR1
RAM: 2 x 512MB PC5300
HDD 1: Samsung F3 1TB
HDD 2: Samsung F3 1TB
HDD 3: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
HDD 4: WD Caviar Green 2TB 32MB Cache
ODD: Extra IDE Multi Drive I had laying around (I didn't want to take up one of the SATA ports)
PSU: OCZ 500W ModXstream

These were things that I pretty much had laying around.

It seems that I need to do more research before recommending data storage solutions. My post was only meant to be a starting point as to the most popular storage solutions I find on [H], at least to give keywords to search for. My apologies.

The current planned setup for my makeshift server is as follows:

CPU: Intel E2140
MoBo: Intel D946GCCR1
RAM: 2 x 512MB PC5300
HDD 1: Samsung F3 1TB
HDD 2: Samsung F3 1TB
HDD 3: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
HDD 4: WD Caviar Green 2TB 32MB Cache
ODD: Extra IDE Multi Drive I had laying around (I didn't want to take up one of the SATA ports)
PSU: OCZ 500W ModXstream

These were things that I pretty much had laying around.

Do you have a budget for the cost of this server, or will you be using only available parts for now?

-Cool-

Practically in the same boat as the OP. I have my main gaming rig, 2 laptops, HTPC, and an Ipad and want to share music and video's with all.

Its all new to me and there are a lot of suggestions out there. I'm not so worried right now about having data backed up as much as having it available for all my computers. With back up being secondary once I get used to using the server.

With that being said, it seems that the general consensus is WHS is easy, I'm big on easy. So I'm planning on starting there. I have:
Lian Li V2000 series case
3 - wd2500ks
1 samsung HD753LJ

I purchased
M/B = Supermicro X8sil-f
Processor = Intel 3450
DVD reader only
4 GB ram
P/S = Corsair 550
I know some will say overkill but I know I want to be able to expand. Of course if I can learn how this is going to all work together I will be replacing the HD's.

Seems like we are both headed in the same direction. With the hardware you have give WHS vail a try sure its a beta but its free. That what I'm going to do next

I'm just throwing this out there to try to get my point across. People always recommend WHS for it's ease of use, which is fair enough. However, Linux could very easily be set up as your server OS and be very easy to use. If you're not comfortable working with the CLI, then you could just install an OS with a GUI, and then install all the necessary programs to bring your server online (which aren't too many). I'm just saying that this is a free option, and if you're willing to learn a little bit about a new OS, I think it'd work fantastic.

I was in the same circumstance as OP with multiple computers and a desire to have all my data at a centralized point. From my lurking on these forums, I decided ZFS was best for me and I have been working on learning the command line interface of FreeBSD. However if you don't have the time for that, I recommend the sub.mesa FreeBSD Web GUI. See here. He's extremely active here on these forums and very helpful.

Personally as cheap as hard drives are, I've seen 2TB for $95 with free ship recently, you should have some sort of redundancy. So then I looked at software raid because I didn't want to spend $800 on some hardware raid card but didn't feel safe with software raid. ZFS was the obvious choice.

The hardware you listed isn't exactly server hardware but should get you started and in the future when you expand maybe you'll invest in something else.

So then I looked at software raid because I didn't want to spend $800 on some hardware raid card but didn't feel safe with software raid. ZFS was the obvious choice.

I do not understand. You will use ZFS, but you will not use RAIDZ?

I'm using raidz.

Ya I think I confused you because ZFS is indeed software raid. From what I've read it's much more stable than those adaptec software raid cards that are more in my price range. Additionally I've been told and hope to never experience it but ZFS raid rebuilds are much faster than other software alternatives.

Last edited:
I was just interested in one pc storing all this various data and information, and then being able to share it to my other computers so that I don't have to have a bunch of redundant information on multiple machines. Obviously the most important aspect here is the HTPC's. I really don't want to have to rip my DVD's to both PC's or rip to one and transfer to another.
Ok, so are you looking for backup as well or redundancy?

Ok, so I have 2 HTPC's and 1 main desktop PC that handles my workload. I also have 2 netbooks, 1 16" Laptop, and 1 Current model 15" Macbook Pro. I want to create a server of some sort that will server/stream video(HD) content to the HTPC's without either of them having to store the content on the individual machines. I also want to be able to share other programs and documents btween these computers. But I'm not sure if I need a server software for this dedicated machine. My server will have a total of 5TB's at this point in time, and will definitely be upgraded in the near future.(This may be another thread because I might upgrade some hardware sooner than later.) What are my options? I am somewhat familiar with Linux as well. A frined recommended redhat, but I had trouble finding a version to download and try.

For file serving, there's many options out there:

FreeNAS
FreeBSD + ZFS RAIDZ
Linux
Linux + MDADM Software RAID
Windows Home Server
UnRAID
FlexRAID
OpenSolaris
Amahi Home Server
Windows Server 2003/2008 + True Hardware RAID card

There is no "best" server platform out of all those options. It's simply which platform is best for that person's needs and wants. Unfortunately for you, your needs could easily be met by any of the above software/platform. So it's now down to your wants.

So to help narrow down things:
If you want dead simple with the least amount of hassle/dirty work, go for Windows Home Server. If you want to get your hands dirty and want something free, check out Linux + MDADM software RAID, Amahi Home Server, FreeNAS, Linux, or FreeBSD + ZFS RAID. If you have cash to burn and want the fastest speeds possible, go for Windows Server 2003/2008 + True Hardware RAID card.

So to help narrow down things:
If you want dead simple with the least amount of hassle/dirty work, go for Windows Home Server. If you want to get your hands dirty and want something free, check out Linux + MDADM software RAID, Amahi Home Server, FreeNAS, Linux, or FreeBSD + ZFS RAID. If you have cash to burn and want the fastest speeds possible, go for Windows Server 2003/2008 + True Hardware RAID card.

This is what I was trying to say in my first post and Danny Bui has said it more eloquently. :)

-Cool-

Back