What version of Windows 7 are you getting?

I'll be taking advantage of the $49.99 pre-order deal and getting Home Premium. I am a gamer and have no need for Pro. If I want virtual XP then I can set that up myself for free without having to buy Pro.

Another noob question.

At the moment i use Win XP pro 32, but i don't have a CD...
Now im bored to always have to go the to tech each time i want to make a clean up in my machine and uninstall and reinstall windows...
I want my own CD of Win7, so i have to pay the full price of 224,95$CAD ???, that's expensive :(

Oh, and this Home premium is 64bit right ? http://www.amazon.ca/Microsoft-Wind..._1_8?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1246107621&sr=8-8
I want the 64bit version for sure, but is there a 32bit also ?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would edit your post to remove the eye patch part.

Yes, you need to buy full version and not upgrade version. I'm not sure how they are handling 64bit this time around so someone else will have to answer that question. With Vista you bought 32bit then sent in order form and ten bcuks to get 64bit version, unless you bought Ultimate which came with both 32bit and 64bit in the box. I don't see anything in the amozon product description that says if it is 32bit or 64bit. Maybe this time around all versions will have 64bit and 32bit in the box. I hope that's how it is because I am only interested in 64bit and don't want to have to go through the hassle of sending in order form again and waiting for delivery.

I just read the amaozon product description again and it says "Takes full advantage of 64-bit PC hardware and memory" so it does have 64bit straight out of the box this time.

I just read the amaozon product description again and it says "Takes full advantage of 64-bit PC hardware and memory" so it does have 64bit straight out of the box this time.

Yea, i read that part too, but i just wasnt sure because it was not clearly specified in the title of the product.
Thx.

Depends on what edition of Windows 7 you install, $50 would be for a bottom-of-the-berral upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. If you load all your PC's up with Windows 7 Ultimate and the largest version of Microsoft office, it's very worth it.

Actually, you never even have to install XP, nor provide a CD key. You can do a full install of Windows 7 from the upgrade CD with an upgrade CD key.

Install Windows 7, select the version you purchased, but DO NOT give it a CD key. It will install as a 30 day trial. Once Windows is up and running, run the installation CD from within the OS and perform an "upgrade". This time, give the installer your CD Key.

After setup completes, delete the "C:\Windows.old\" folder. You now have a clean install of Windows 7 from upgrade media.
:O Then why would anyone wanna buy retail?

I'm probably going to go the Technet route. With 3 pcs which I'll install Win7, and at least one I'd install Office, $250 for a Technet subscription seems to be a pretty decent deal.

Just got back from Microcenter, put a copy of pro on pre order and picked up a 4gig flash drive (flash drives are like crack to me for some reason, if I see a cheap one I buy it, whether I need it or not)

Will probably jump on that technet deal and get Ultimate, I kinda want the .vhd boot option that only ultimate has.

Same here, I went with the technet deal. Ultimate going here since I need my Remote Desktop.

I am debating what to do I am torn between the home and the pro. I really don't use the extra features to much on pro but would love to have the ability to remote desktop if needed. But then again the extra $50 I am not sure if its worth it.

I've got a question about the back-up feature. I want to be able to schedule a back-up of certain files weekly. Can I do this with Home Premium or do I have to purchase Professional?

Looking at this chart has me confused.

I don't need a complete system backup, just picture files from my camera. Any ideas?

In for 2 Premiums..I for rig sig,one for my XPS M1330..Hopefully SSDs will be reasonably priced and all kinks worked out by October 22nd.Kids PC will get my old Vista 64..Sweet deal!!

I pre-ordered two copies of Home Premium for $50.

I'd prefer Pro on my box (especially since I'm leaving Vista Ult.) but I can't see paying twice as much for Remote Desktop Host and XP mode (both of which I want). Maybe I'll upgrade down the road.

I pre-ordered two copies of Home Premium for $50.

I'd prefer Pro on my box (especially since I'm leaving Vista Ult.) but I can't see paying twice as much for Remote Desktop Host and XP mode (both of which I want). Maybe I'll upgrade down the road.

I almost ordered Pro because I use MS Virtual Machine for XP on Vista Business. But then I found Virtual Box, and it may work just as well as MS VM so I changed my order to Win 7 Home. Of course, that doesn't help you with Remote Desktop Host. I already have a standalone backup, too. Still, it's cool to have a box that says "Pro" on it...:D

I want to go ahead and get in on the pre-order price, but I'm having a tough time deciding which versions to get. I haven't been keeping up with Win7 news, so what happened to the Home Basic and Business versions?

On my main desktop, home Premium would be fine, but for my other system I need the remote desktop server. I'm currently running XP Home on my main PC, and XP MCE on the other (which is basically XP Pro so it has RDP). I use the remote desktop to connect to it since it doesn't have a monitor on it. I have XP Home on my netbook and use VNC to connect to it while it's on the desk. The free version of VNC doesn't work with Vista, so I doubt it will work with Win7, and the built in RDP works so much better than VNC anyway.

I've been hearing about how well Win7 runs on netbooks, but I don't want the crippled Starter version that doesn't even let you change the background. I wasn't planning on installing Win7 on the netbook right away, but I figured I'd go with Home Basic or Business if I did. I don't even know if ASUS will put out official Win7 drivers for the Eee 901, but I know people are already running Win7 on them. I might as well get it while the pre-order price is in effect, if I don't use it, I can always sell it.

Just pre-ordered both Professional and Home Premium upgrades. Plan to run the 64-bit versions of both.

I finally decided it wasn't worth the extra $50 to go for the pro version when all I need is remote desktop, so I just pre-ordered 3 copies of Win7 Home Premium. There's a way to enable it in Vista by replacing the termserv.dll with one from the business version and adding some registry keys. I'm sure someone will figure out how to do the same with Win7, but in the mean time it turns out UltraVNC now has Vista and Win7 support in version 1.04RC4.

The majority of users, this forum included, don't need anything beyond what is offered in Home Premium.

The extremely select few who need to be able to join domains are better off going with Professional than Ultimate.

Therefore, I don't see why anybody would get Ultimate unless they're using TechNet.

TechNet is the best deal for multi-pc homes.

....Did I say anything to the contrary?

This almost reminds me of one of those Bing commercials.

"Whats the difference between LCD and plasma TVs?"
"Plasma is an ionized gas."

I don't know what I want to do. I need RDP host to remote using my WHS. The home premium version fits the bill with this one exception.

Stupid question, but since I've never used Vista Home Prem. and Win 7 RC is only available in Ultimate currently, I really have no idea about this.

With XP Home, you couldn't adjust NTFS folder permissions (unless in safe mode IIRC), couldn't use IIS, or define dynamic disks. Also there were fewer of the Administrative Tools available.
Do these restrictions still apply on modern-day Windows 'home' versions?

With XP Home, you couldn't adjust NTFS folder permissions (unless in safe mode IIRC), couldn't use IIS, or define dynamic disks. Also there were fewer of the Administrative Tools available.

If 7 Home Premium reflects Vista Home Premium then the following will be true:

Edit NTFS folder permissions - Yes
Use IIS - not installed by default but can be added via 'Add or Remove Windows Features'
Define dynamic disks - No
Administrative Tools - Group Policy Editor omitted, but relevent settings can be changed via registry edits.

I don't know what I want to do. I need RDP host to remote using my WHS. The home premium version fits the bill with this one exception.

I had to make the same decision (see my post a few above yours). I decided to go with Home Premium, I didn't think it was worth spending an extra $50 for that feature. There is a way to enable RDP in Vista Home Premium, so it probably won't take long for someone to figure out how to do it in Win7. In the mean time you can use UltraVNC, which supports Vista and Win7.

Getting the TechNet version. The one which gives me enough installs and activates to cover all my 'pooter needs here for the next 3 years :)

Two home premiums that are going on my desktop and laptop. Didn't see the need for the professional features.

I had to make the same decision (see my post a few above yours). I decided to go with Home Premium, I didn't think it was worth spending an extra $50 for that feature. There is a way to enable RDP in Vista Home Premium, so it probably won't take long for someone to figure out how to do it in Win7. In the mean time you can use UltraVNC, which supports Vista and Win7.

I decided to go ahead and get the home version. Hopefully I can upgrade from vista ultimate to home ok.

Back