What to do with a dead WD 500GB RE Drive?

pjkenned

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a WD RE drive that is out of warranty apparently and is dead as a doornail. It was a pain to lose since it was sitting in a remote location, and I got three cuts removing it from the enclosure, but at least it was backed up.

Now that the operational usefulness of this drive has ended, I am left with only one question, what to do with it. I am pretty set on recycling the drive after I am done with it. I have never done anything except recycle drives before, but some ex-clients at a top 3 server manufacturer just showed me footage of what they have done with dead drives and it got me thinking that I am abnormally not creative in this area.

Thoughts/ suggestions are appreciated.

Write a song about it:

What shall we do with a broken hard drive?

Shave its label with a rusty razor

Put it in bed with the owner's daughter

and so on...

I give my dead drives to the local schools after I have removed the screws to the top of the drives. The teachers have been very appreciative because it makes the study of how a computer works so much more understandable to the kids.

Dissect it, that's what I did with the last drive I had that died. Still have the pieces laying around somewhere. The magnets are fun to play with.

If you collect enough hard drive platters, you can make a pretty sweet wind chime out of them.

scrap the drive...I just brought back a bucket of aluminum (mostly HDD shells) and got $71

Back