what dell case is this? 56K

kyosho1

Weaksauce
133363d1260932278-official-intel-air-cooled-gallery-56k-t300mobo2.jpg

Looks like it says "Poweredge T300" on the top edge of the front panel - not sure if that helps?

I didn't know Dell chassis' themselves had names/model numbers?

Yea it is a poweredge t300 server case without the hotswap bays. The server series just got replaced by the t310.

The t300 wasn't a bad little machine. We have a few quad core ones sitting around at clients.

i need that case, but i can find one :(

Why do you need that case?

Anyway if you really want it you can buy the lowest end t300 from dell for under 500 bucks new with a gig of ram and a celeron. You could always buy one and then ebay the motherboard and power supply. You could also sell the processor, gig of ram, and the 160 gig sata drive for a little bit(wouldn't get much from them but it would help). Selling off all of the extra crap might cut the price down enough to make it worth you time. Mind you I'm not sure what else you would need to do to modify it to work with a normal pc motherboard. I've yet to have to switch a motherboard in one to see how it comes out.

the mobo is not atx? and i need it because its cool, but i don't have 500

Because it is Dell it is almost guaranteed to be proprietary. The motherboard hole patterns will be wrong or require special mounts or something stupid like that.

That was true but in last 3 years, they have move to standard ATX and mATX cases;

That was true but in last 3 years, they have move to standard ATX and mATX cases;

I hope that is true but the only time I work with them is at work and I don't want to take one of them apart enough to tell. I do know the power supplies are still proprietary. The wiring is different in the main connector.

I hope that is true but the only time I work with them is at work and I don't want to take one of them apart enough to tell. I do know the power supplies are still proprietary. The wiring is different in the main connector.

Dell PSUs haven't been proprietary in a long time. My Dell Dimension 8200 and 9200 both used regular ATX PSUs.

I know for a fact that the Optiplex models we have in our office have proprietary power supplies. Granted, they aren't the newest models but the aren't more than a couple of years old.

The new Optiplex 960 I've used seemed to use a regular PSU. Could be dependent on the model.

Well, it is great if they have finally stopped using proprietary hardware. I know that was a major complaint for years.

The case is sexy. Modify it to remove the Dell badge and it would be nice.

Their desktops seem to use atx or matx boards in many cases. Not sure if any are still using btx.

This was a server though. Not sure if the board was an eatx style board or something one off. The guy who modified that case in the above picture might have had a lot of work to do or it might have been very little.

The number for Dell Spare Parts is 1-800-357-3355. I don't know if you can purchase just the case but you can call and ask. It never hurts to ask.

You can still buy the servers new. Unless you were getting a hell of a deal off ebay why would you go that route?

The dell spare parts line is a good idea though. Might be able to find just a case. Not sure if they will sell it without a service tag off another t300 though. The other option would be the one I had where you buy the cheapest one and sell the guts.

Pretty cool looking case actually. I can see why someone would want to mod one. Looks kind of like a Cray CX1.

That is a dell motherboard only case and will require Modification. You can tell this because of the number of PCI expansion slots, 5.

I would suggest contacting the person that Did that mod and ask him what/how he did it.

Back