Western Digital WD20EURS

If it was manufactured after 2008, then no it won't. Do remember though that TLER isn't needed if FlexRAID or software RAID is used and is only really necessary for crappy hardware RAID cards that can't identify that a HDD is spinning up/down.

Most hardware raid cards have a high timeout set so unless this is mission critical enough that a few stalls before a drive is marked as bad cause disruption then I would not worry about TLER. A friend of mine started using 6 WD20EARS sucessfully with his 9550 last week (Had got as far as array build and 2TB of copying last I heard).

Most hardware raid cards have a high timeout set so unless this is mission critical enough that a few stalls before a drive is marked as bad cause disruption then I would not worry about TLER. A friend of mine started using 6 WD20EARS sucessfully with his 9550 last week (Had got as far as array build and 2TB of copying last I heard).

Is he able to run them in SATAII mode?

Didnt check, I dont think he had to jumper them.

Ok, thanks.

I might look at FlexRAID as well, but still looks very much in development.

I've got backups, but its a hassle having to "maintain" RAID arrays every couple of weeks.

Just get Hitachi drives instead? Far cheaper and you won't have to worry about TLER and the likes.

Yep. They're quite popular if you need something to behave in RAID. A fair number of people on this forum use them in large arrays (myself included).

Finally got my dead RAID card replaced. Have set up 3 of the Hitachi drives in a RAID5, and no problems so far. Array is just initializing at the moment, but it formatted ok in Windows, which is further than i've been getting with the Samsung drives running in SATA II mode.

Once completed initializing, i'll copy some data and see how we go.

Been running now for a few days, and not had any issues at all!

Will replace all my Samsung drives with 2TB drives over the next few months.

Back