Vista sleep problems...

vertigomhs

[H]ard|Gawd
i have this problem with my pc w/ vista on it, im running vista ultimate, specs in sig

every time i put my pc to sleep and try waking it anytime later it will power on, and then go into an endless cycle of reboots (note: this came up all of the sudden, no hardware changes have been made), only way for me to stop this is to cut the power completely from the psu. this cycle is endless for some reason, while others times the board will eventually reset cmos and go back to default, this is not the case when this happens.

another thing i noticed was when i put the power back on the psu and started up fresh the pc powers up and fails once before post and then it tries a 2nd time succesfully.

what should i do? resintall OS? help is appreciated thanks.

Is this the PC you have listed in your sig?
Have you reset the CPU's clock back to stock speed (assuming a CMOS reset won't automatically)?
Did you check your memory with MemTest or the utility that comes with Vista in the Boot Diagnostics menu?
When you are able to boot Windows successfully does anything show up in the Event Viewer that indicates a possible cause of a crash?

... Are you sure that your PSU supplies adequate power to your rig?

You need to ensure you have all the latest drivers for all your hardware, first and foremost. ACPI is in control of sleep/hibernation, and if the drivers aren't 100% ACPI supported, then it causes issues with sleep/standby/hibernation, and sometimes even just shutting the damned thing down.

Look at Device Manager and if you have any unsupported devices at all that'll definitely keep it from working right. Everything has to be installed and supported, and then you can start looking at other solutions.

Check for the latest possible BIOS updates for your particular motherboard also. Manufacturers sometimes release updates that will address specific issues like full ACPI support so sleep/standby/hibernate works properly.

But, first and foremost, it's the drivers that cause more ACPI issues with power management than any other single aspect.

Good luck...

OP, I have pretty much the same CPU/MB as you, OC'd just a little less, and this happens to me once in a blue moon. When it happen, I set un-OC my system, boot, and turn it off in Vista. Then go back in and reset my OC and everything works again. I can't explain why it happens either.

@GushpinBob
everything has been tested for stability and etc, many times trust:)

didnt look at the event manager but if it happens again ill be sure to check it out

as for my psu, it should be enough, its an 80+ psu and i dont have a video card:p

@ joe all things were to date so that wasnt the problem, thx for your help

@ maddude

im guessing this is just random or something because i just rebuilt my system from scratch and it did it once even though i set everything to default with no OC, but after a couple of sleep tries it finally worked fine! its weird and hopefully it wont come back again,

thanks for your help guys

im guessing this is just random or something because i just rebuilt my system from scratch and it did it once even though i set everything to default with no OC, but after a couple of sleep tries it finally worked fine! its weird and hopefully it wont come back again,
There are also a few settings in Windows that need attention to solve this problem.
You need to disable Hibernation.
In Control Panel, go to Power Management and disable "hybrid sleep" (if it appears as an option).
In Device Manager, open your Network Adaptor, go to the Power Management tab and disable "allow this device to wake the PC".

This all applies to Win7 as well.

the same crap happens to me (not all the time however).. i think it's my overclock

Back