Upgrade time.

crawford60

Gawd
Hey guys (and gals)!

My trusty 8800GT is starting to tell me that it doesn't have much time left, and I'm looking at upgrading. I'm trying to keep it in the $200-$250 range. So I was thinking, GTX460 or GTX560? Is there much of an advantage between one or the other, or is there a better preforming card out there for that price? I'm not too concerned with power usage (I only run one PC, and can handle the bill for the power it will draw).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ohh my favorite time of the year!

2x GTX460's would be what I would grab with your price range and some smart shopping.

Yep, that PSU will push a 470 in the system you have in your sig.

I wouldn't spend that much on the EVGA. The card I linked is cheaper and has a lifetime warranty as well.

Last edited:
Don't get a GTX 470. You can get a Sparkle GTX 560 Ti for $230. Look at Hardware Canuck's most recent GPU reviews. An overclocked 560 gets over 16k ppd on average and I am quite certain uses less power than a heavily OC'd 470.

Last edited:
Interesting. If the 560 does that well then it's a better deal than a 470.

Yes, the 560 is a much better choice than the 470 if only for the lower power consumption.

I will be baking some 8800gtx ultras from the past... gonna see if I can resurrect them... if anyone needs a basement heater after I am finished....

I will be baking some 8800gtx ultras from the past... gonna see if I can resurrect them... if anyone needs a basement heater after I am finished....

I'm sure they can find a home.

If they work after a short sauna, make a thread. Heck there are still a bunch of 8800GS cards folding away.... I know the borg in the neighbors computer is still going :cool:

I'm sure they can find a home.

If they work after a short sauna, make a thread. Heck there are still a bunch of 8800GS cards folding away.... I know the borg in the neighbors computer is still going :cool:

I think there is more than one thing wrong with one of them... I think there is hope for the other...

it might make my lab area more comfortable than the 60degrees it is...

Actually, I ended up ordering an EVGA GTX 560. Hopefully Newegg gets it here before the weekend, as my 8800GT is getting annoying (the fan is mostly dead, and screeching). Sure I could fix it cheap, but then I wouldn't have an excuse to buy a new video card. :D

Actually, I ended up ordering an EVGA GTX 560. Hopefully Newegg gets it here before the weekend, as my 8800GT is getting annoying (the fan is mostly dead, and screeching). Sure I could fix it cheap, but then I wouldn't have an excuse to buy a new video card. :D

cool...

enjoy

Back