TT Armor Black/Pink Mod! :)

mjn

Weaksauce
As promised here is my worklog, i don't know how often it'll be updated, as my gf has just had a baby girl (well 6 weeks ago) so time is short some days. :(

But are some before pics, where i did a small amount of work before using the case, like removing the excess metal on the fan holes, and fitting proper fan grills.

Case view from the outside......lovely! :D

Before5.jpg

Look at the cable neatness

Before6.jpg

There's HDD's behind the cables....honest!:)

Before7.jpg

The Xeons and motherboard, with some quality cabling :p

Before1.jpg

Top of the case, where my Ultra 160 SCSI drives live, ......with more quality cabling :D

Before2.jpg

The from the top view

Before3.jpg

Side view of the SCSI hard drives

Before4.jpg

Last edited:
So, what am i going to do to the case?

In no order:

Gut the case, and spray all bare metal black.

Remove all the excess crap in the top panel, like, who the hell needs top mounted sound ports on a fileserver? I'll put a nice mesh window, with pink neon string, in the top panel instead.

Make the power 100% modular, i'll be fitting a molex plug next to each 5.25" drive bay and fan power connectors next to the fan mounts.

Route the motherboard cables behind the motherboard tray.

Fitted 3 x 5 HDD's hot plug SATA caddies.

Install UV lighting.

Braid all cables in UV Pink.

pinkcablebraid.jpg

Replace original LED's with hot pink ones!

hotpinkLED.jpg

Fit UV Pink case and CPU fans.

If anybody else has any other suggestions, feel free to comment!

Last edited:
If for anything, do this mod to clean up the case :p

Cant wait to see how this turns out, bright pink + black is a great contrast

The pink LED's have arrived:

hotpinkLED1.jpg

Nice :D

hotpinkLED2.jpg

hotpinkLED3.jpg

Last edited:
Subscribing...partially because a Tt Armor accented pink is just too unique a sight to pass up.

Take your time and do it right, and don't forget to bring the pics. :D

isnt there a close-up setting for your camera?

anyways ill be checking this :)

A), set up camera on table with 10-second timed picture
B), hold 10" leads from LED to battery/power supply
C), let LED sit on table in camera's focus
D) press shutter, leaving LED to lay by itself on table while camera takes picture (10 sec delay means u pushing the shutter doesn't shake it).
E) you will probably have a clearer picture.

but now, regarding my previous comment. I have this strange feeling I was the only one taking it in the perverted way... lol

This project is still on, but the weather is against me!

For people based outside of the UK, we've had pretty bad rain storms!

Just spent a couple of hours transferring all the insides of my fileserver to an old Gateway Pentium Pro case, as a temporary home.

Now, i've stripped out my Armor, i can start work on it.

emptycase1.jpg

Everything removed, and the last time, it'll be a "standard" armor!

QuickreleasePCI.jpg

Quick release, my hairy ass! All these green and purple bits of plastic do, is make it impossible to remove any PCI cards without a fight!

frontsideview.jpg

Will be slightly modifying these, so that my SATA hot plug cages fit in properly.

topfan2.jpg

topfan.jpg

That poxy sound/usb thingy will be gone aswell, so that i can install a PSU without a sledge hammer and losing my temper!

crapremoved1.jpg

Some of the crap i removed from the case, but they'll be more! :D

Last edited:
So, a few more hours have been spent on this project.

Here are a few more pics:

A couple of pics showing the top of the case. The external USB / sound ports and fan have been removed, and in its place i'm going to put a stainless steel mesh sheet, and no fan. Heat rises, so i don't see the point of putting a fan here.

topprecut.jpg

topprecut2.jpg

Ok, i've cut away a lot of the top panel, so i can install the mesh panel in its place.

step1.jpg

Here you can see what else has been done, i've removed all the quick release crap from the drive bays and PCI slots, the extra motherboard mounts have been drilled out, and i've cut a hole for the 3 motherboard power cables.

step2.jpg

And another pile of crap removed from the case!

crapremoved2.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be back on this at the weekend hopefully. Had a lot going on recently, including a death in the family.

In that pile of crap I couldnt help but notice a USB sound port thingy and hdd rack.... if not needed, I am interested! :) But otherwise than that...... cant wait to see more, looks intensely..... pink.... yeah...

subscribed

Ok, here's the latest batch of updates.

Here is bottom of the case, with hole cut for dual 12cm fans.

bottomwithholeut.jpg

The bare metal case.

stripped.jpg

All the rivets removed, and the case becomes a flat pack self assembly :)

completedstripped.jpg

The bottom of the case sanded and ready to be painted. The edging around the fan holes will of course be removed before painting.

bottomprepared.jpg

More updates to follow very soon.

Last edited:
In that pile of crap I couldnt help but notice a USB sound port thingy and hdd rack.... if not needed, I am interested! :) But otherwise than that...... cant wait to see more, looks intensely..... pink.... yeah...

subscribed

Hi, the USB thing has already been claimed, and i need the HDD rack, sorry.

Ok, so i've just been ill for 2 weeks with Acute Sinusitis. So, hopefully, i'll get some more of this case done this weekend. :)

Right, i'm progressing with this project once again!

(Will it ever get finished?!?! :D )

More of the case work is prepared to be painted. Pictures to follow.

OK, all pictures fixed, and i got some updates to post.

After having builder hassles on the house extension, and getting made redundant twice in 2 years kinda slowed progress.

Right now, the server is sitting under the stairs with no case:

currentnonecase.jpg

The case however, is nearly ready to be painted:

readytobepainted.jpg

And the mesh in the top, instead of the usb / sound connector crap.

meshtop.jpg

Going to sub to this one, LED's on my Xaser 4 need replacing at some point, would be a good thread to learn on the process of doing the task.

OK, all cable management holes cut. I run into a small sang though. After cutting the holes with the dremel, i couldn't get the cutting tool out of it, it flatly refused to budge. So ended up into town and buying a new dremel so i cut grind the edges straight and smooth.

Here we go, all holes done.

postholecut1.jpg

postholecut2.jpg

postholecut3.jpg

postholecut4.jpg

Before i can paint, need to mask off the already painted exterior:

prepaint1.jpg

prepaint2.jpg

prepaint3.jpg

For the painting, i'm going to use one of these. It's the first time i used one of these, so not sure how its gonna turn out to be honest.

paintgun.jpg

Hopefully, will be painting it on Wednesday.

Will be upgrading the Enermax 600w non-modular to the new Corsair AX850w modular PSU

ax850.jpg

Flat cables make for easy cable routing

blacksata.jpg

But no sure on the black, reckon they'll look better in pink :)

Pink cables :)

pinkcables1.jpg

Swapped out the black Molex plugs for UV Pink ones.

Didn't bother doing between the SATA connections, as gonna be nearly hidden, as they're all being plugged into the SATA hot swap bays.

I couldn't get that damn Hammerite Paint Gun to work, even bought a new canister for it.

So, had to revert to regular spray paint in a can. Here are the pics after the first couple of coats.

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

paint4.jpg

I'm out of paint now, and the car is in for its service so can't go and get some more :(

Hopefully will get some more on Friday.

Ok, 2nd coat of paint done

The case:

paint5.jpg

The HDD cage:

paint6.jpg

Ready for the lacquer......

2ndcoat1.jpg

Making sure the fans fit in the bottom of the case. (They look orange, but they're not. They're red/pink.)

I have fan grills for the bottom, plus mesh filter to help keep the dust out.

casefans1.jpg

Edging fitted to the cable management holes

edging.jpg

Next step is to drill the front holes in the case larger, as i missed these earlier :( Once this has been done, and put in the missing nuts/bolts, the front can be fitted.

Back