The Official R9 270x, 280x and 290x Buyers Club Thread

I agree that AMD is stapled for cash, and yes making top dollar on a few highend cards looks appealing. But this is also the perfect time for them to "explode" their PC userbase at the same time as the new consoles takeoff. Their Never Settle game bundles I would say are extremely aggressive, and I see that mindset continuing. Maybe I'm low, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I agree that it's an opportunity for them to get their products into more chassis' of PC users, but they will also have to overcome quite a large nVidia loyalty base and an even larger IGP-is-good-enough-for-me user base. That doesn't even count trying to persuade newest gen console buyers to spend even more money to upgrade their PC GPUs...

The Never Settle bundles have been a great customer incentive and I'm glad to see AMD continuing on with it. If the 2xx series is released with a performance edge over the 7xx/Titan series, competitive pricing, and a good NSB, then AMD will be enjoying the profits from mass quantity sales. :)

ill have to look for it, it was a statement from amd a couple days ago

There was some debate on weather is was stated in error.

Last edited:
so I guess a few people here are ready for midnight tonight? xD

Official source ?

I think that guy is confused, coz from what I've read around the web the pre-order starts 3rd, and pre-orders will ship around 10th to 15th. if they pushed the pre-order we would have seen an article about it the moment that official announcement of it being pushed is out LOL.

I agree that it's an opportunity for them to get their products into more chassis' of PC users, but they will also have to overcome quite a large nVidia loyalty base and an even larger IGP-is-good-enough-for-me user base. That doesn't even count trying to persuade newest gen console buyers to spend even more money to upgrade their PC GPUs...

Exactly, AMD has a HUGE potential for market penetration and growth. If it were nvidia in this situation they have much more market saturation and so much less incentive to be competitive, but AMD stand to gain much, much more in being aggressive pricewise and marketing with brand visibility.

The Never Settle bundles have been a great customer incentive and I'm glad to see AMD continuing on with it. If the 2xx series is released with a performance edge over the 7xx/Titan series, competitive pricing, and a good NSB, then AMD will be enjoying the profits from mass quantity sales. :)

Yup, it really seems to be working for them. Wouldn't change something that works!

I'm looking forward to seeing the power consumption numbers out of these cards. Have a SFX PC in need of an upgrade but at a power consumption budget restraint.

I think that guy is confused, coz from what I've read around the web the pre-order starts 3rd, and pre-orders will ship around 10th to 15th. if they pushed the pre-order we would have seen an article about it the moment that official announcement of it being pushed is out LOL.

Nope, not confused.

It was stated by AMD, i just cant find it now.

As i said, there was some question whether AMD made the statement in error, it has something to do with the NDA ending on the 15th.

Exactly, AMD has a HUGE potential for market penetration and growth. If it were nvidia in this situation they have much more market saturation and so much less incentive to be competitive, but AMD stand to gain much, much more in being aggressive pricewise and marketing with brand visibility.

We shall soon see. Historically, AMD likes to price their newly released products quite proudly, and I'm not expecting that to change. If they do have cut-down release prices, then I'm going to shit a gold brick, run it over to a pawn shop, then buy me some new GPUs!

Yup, it really seems to be working for them. Wouldn't change something that works!

It's been working great. Just seeing all the FS threads and eBay posts for the game codes alone proves that.

Nope, not confused.

It was stated by AMD, i just cant find it now.

As i said, there was some question whether AMD made the statement in error, it has something to do with the NDA ending on the 15th.

The only reference I can find in Google search directs back to a HardOCP thread... :p

this one?

lol

i cant find it either.

oh well, i retract my statement.

this one?

lol

i cant find it either.

oh well, i retract my statement.

I think it was an online store had it for pre-order wrong but then removed or replaced the date. Someone saw it before the correction and it escalated quickly after that! :)

This is where everyone is reading about the pre-order delay. SweClockers is claiming there will be a delay.

I don't know. But having a deposit pre-order without knowledge of performance, final cost, among other things has to be the stupidest pre-order terms I've ever heard. If that is indeed the case they should just skip that route altogether.

Even though i will purchase one eventually, i would have to agree.

does anyone have a list of partners that are supposedly selling it tonight?

Not much to go on... :rolleyes: It may or may not be true...way to go out on a limb! :p

Therefore we have two sources, one claiming that the launch is postponed while the other telling us that the BF4 bundle will be available worldwide on October 3rd. From my experience SweClockers are usually correct in terms of unverified stories. Either way, I guess we will have to wait for more credible information from retailers themselves.

Note - Price and Performance for the R9 290x has yet to be determined. However, I think it's safe to assume this will be a top performing card regardless of cost or performance as it relates to the 780 / Titan

LOLWAT...Pretty big assumptions there but this is not the stock market, I doubt many people would be willing to speculate with their $500+ dollars without any definitive benchmarks or price point. This must be the equivalent of bidding on a box on ebay that may or may not contain something valuable inside.

I don't know. But having a deposit pre-order without knowledge of performance, final cost, among other things has to be the stupidest pre-order terms I've ever heard. If that is indeed the case they should just skip that route altogether.
While this info isn't available now, this must become available at the start of the pre-order. We can conclude some logical points because otherwise riots would ensue:

- the card will be priced as a high-end card, probably between 550-650$ if looking at the past and what makes economical sense

- the card will be faster than the HD 7970 GE because otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with a totally new chip. And since the aformentioned card is still the fastest...

- the preorder will include BF4 which is like a 50$ bonus if you care about FPS games

- the cooling doesn't seem to have a (radical) new design and the 6+8-pin PCI-e power suggest a maximum of 300W

The info will not be available till after the NDA is lifted around the 15th. Any vendor who tries to release benchies is gonna get slapped by a C&D and a lawsuit i can guarantee you.

IF a pre-order exists, it will be without this information.

Not to mention that preorders are usually just a deposit, and not asking for the full 750 dollars.

See what I did there?

On another thought, why would you delay a "preorder", which basically is nothing more than a reservation. There is no hardware or probably even a set ship date other than general availability. Makes no sense to delay that sort of thing?

My thoughts as well, no reason to delay a pre-order that you have already announced. An actual launch I could see but not a pre-order. However it does baffle me that absolute zero information that there has been on the subject even from AMD themselves. The normal AMD retailers have no advertising of the pre-order I've contacted them all and they all have no information about the product/pre-order at all.

Just haters trying to get people away from pre-orders tonight so they and their friends can get one.

Classic art of war technique nothing more nothing less.

Well my ass will be sitting here f5'ing the retailers with bank card in hand tonight. Hoping the post some specs along with the pre-order but even if not I've seen what I need to see to feel comfortable with the purchase.No way it's worse than my 2 HIS 2gb 6950's lol.

The normal AMD retailers listed on AMD's site. If there will be a pre-order I doub't it wouldn't include at least one/some of their main retailers.

Just haters trying to get people away from pre-orders tonight so they and their friends can get one.

Classic art of war technique nothing more nothing less.

ROFL! Dont get me wrong, I'm not hatin' if this card at $600 beat the Titan/780GTX/whatever is NVidia's top card then I'd be ready to drop my 7970 after only 6 months of use, but the reality is we don't know what we're getting...I mean I'm sure if AMD ROFLStomped Nvidia's flagship at a lower price, you would think that benchmarks would be part of the marketing plan to drive up pre-orders.... :confused:

Seriously people need to use common sense.

What exactly would be the point of AMD releasing a new flagship product and not have it the fastest card to enter the market. Hell the 7970 beats the Titan in some benchmarks. Just saying

Seriously people need to use common sense.

What exactly would be the point of AMD releasing a new flagship product and not have it the fastest card to enter the market. Hell the 7970 beats the Titan in some benchmarks. Just saying

Well the first thing I should point out is that while the R9-290X may trade blows with the Titan, the Titan will still have a share of nvidia-skewed games that just do better on nvidia hardware - crowning a performance victor has become somewhat ambiguous in recent years because both AMD and nvidia have titles that favor their specific architectures. Unreal Engine 3 tends to favor nvidia, as do Blizzard-Activision titles. Conversely, Square Enix games traditionally run much better on AMD hardware than NV.

What I predict is that the R9-290X will trade blows, and the 290X will have enough wins against the Titan to be considered a better value if it is 600$. If it wins 50-60% of the time against Titan, I would call that a victory. But don't expect a sweep or anything like that - different game engines favor different architectures. I can almost guarantee UE3 games will favor nvidia.

Aside from that, we just need to wait until the 15th. What i'm mostly interested in is the efficiency of the 290X - the leaks have indicated better than Titan power consumption, which would be pretty impressive I think. Also i'm very curious about the new reference cooler that AMD is using - i'm not a fan of the old style of ref coolers AMD has used at ALL. They were incredibly loud at high fan RPMs, and very much worse than competing nvidia reference shrouds. Of course, efficiency plays a role in how loud the cooler is, and the GK104 was obviously more efficient than Tahiti.

Back