Tesla Model S P85D vs. Dodge Charger Hellcat

Put a set of slicks on the Hellcat to match the AWD of the Tesla and guaranteed the Hellcat beats the T in the 1/4 mile. :)

I'd take the Dodge anyday over the T.

Put a set of slicks on the P85D and that AWD/instant torque will be even better put to the ground and it's guaranteed to beat the Hellcat in the 1/4 mile.

See that goes both ways :D

Put a set of slicks on the Hellcat to match the AWD of the Tesla and guaranteed the Hellcat beats the T in the 1/4 mile. :)

I'd take the Dodge anyday over the T.

Those slicks sure are gonna be nice on public roads..oh wait. I would hope a car pretty much made for racing(drag) can beat a car made to be luxurious in the 1/4 mile.

I have identified one serious design mistake with the Challengers though. They only come with bucket seats.

Now if you are not a child of the muscle car generation then you may not fully grasp the implications of this error.

You see, a muscle car was designed for one purpose, to attract women. Once you have gained the attention of said strumpet, it's the bench seat that allows sufficient cuddling to woo said strumpet and keep her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zip4QyJyD5g

Drag racing is all about reaction and launch and if you watch the video you can see the hellcat driver was slow to react, while the tesla driver was about spot on. Either way both would be fun to drive, the hellcat just takes a good driver to get max performance while the tesla will make you look good even if you are not.

I have identified one serious design mistake with the Challengers though. They only come with bucket seats.

Now if you are not a child of the muscle car generation then you may not fully grasp the implications of this error.

You see, a muscle car was designed for one purpose, to attract women. Once you have gained the attention of said strumpet, it's the bench seat that allows sufficient cuddling to woo said strumpet and keep her.

This...

Those mile-wide bench seats, so useful.

American ingenuity at its best. Two different paths to the same result: A whole lot of power and one grinning, happy idiot having a blast with it. :D

Sure it can, like many other muscle cars these days you can just add a "sound" chip to imitate a different engine profile.
You can also have sex with a Kate Upton doll but I wouldn't consider it equivalent to having sex with Kate Upton

Don't forget to add in the cost of new tires every 6 months for the Dodge's prices :)

Hellcat. Screw an over-grown Cattle Prod. I want the noise of that V8 and supercharger! That IS the experience.

You can also have sex with a Kate Upton doll but I wouldn't consider it equivalent to having sex with Kate Upton

If you can tell the difference sure. Like I said, it doesn't have to fool the Daredevil, just the mere mortal, and it's selling newer Mustangs just fine.

If you can tell the difference sure. Like I said, it doesn't have to fool the Daredevil, just the mere mortal, and it's selling newer Mustangs just fine.

And you continue not understanding that it isn't purely a sound chip that is responsible for the experience we are talking about and why an EV can never reproduce that experience. Again this comes from the fact that you have never experienced a real muscle car that you so kindly confirmed. Otherwise you wouldn't be sitting here trying to argue that a sound chip can fully replicate the experience. Does it work on a regular IC engine? Yes but only because there are other factors being produced by that IC engine that make the experience believable. It doesn't matter if an EV sounds like a V12 monster if it doesn't feel and smell like it. It is on par with trying to argue that playing Gran Turismo with a high end surround audio system is the same as driving the real thing. It just Isn't..no matter how realistic it sounds.

See this is where you lose me, what range should "the average car" have? Most people use cars to get to and from work, and that should be a good place to start. Now sure taking them on road trips that are greater than a couple hundred miles are not practical, but at what point do you say "I have a car for that", the "average" household owns more than one car, and if you have a tiny little compact car going a long drive in that isn't going to be that nice on long trips either. I will agree with you that EVs are not in any way the "all-in-one" useful vehicle though.

They can, but it depends what you're comparing it to, if you take a fairly efficient moderately priced car vs. a Tesla yeah you're not saving money on that comparison. If you compare a Tesla to a similar fancy higher end luxury-sports car, then the cost difference is a different ball game. But again, if you're buying an EV just to save money on a vehicle, yeah there are other ways to do that that save more money.

This is one I'd like to see some numbers on, I'm skeptical on both sides of this argument simply because I've never seen an argument that takes "the big picture" into account on BOTH sides, very often arguments against environmental claims go to the batteries life-death cycle or how the power is produced, however the gasoline side of thing rarely takes the big picture either, how tainted is the ground water from fracking? gas doesn't come directly from fracked oil? irrelevant because fracked oil does supplant imported oil, how many resources are put to keep our oil supply safe? There's a much bigger picture on the IC side of things.

Opinion, and irrelevant, many cars are ugly as all hell, people still drive them, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm driving my car, not looking at it from the outside, I don't care too much what it looks like to a fair degree.

See I don't get the "fun" factor that's used as an argument. Going back to the beginning "the average car" is not used for fun. Shit gas costs too damn much in today's world to simply have "fun" driving a car. I do understand though that some people do have expectations of enjoying their drive, in fact the fuckers who rev up and down my street all the time to the point where if I wouldn't be arrested for premeditated murder I would run a high tensile strength steel cable across a couple telephone poles are pretty much showing me what fun is. But what exactly makes a car fun to drive?

Regardless if what I said, I am in no way pro-EV either. However I'm not anti-EV and it does annoy me when arguments are used to bash a product for what reason I will never understand, especially when it's done with FUD, arguments of "Enjoy paying $30k for replacement batteries in 7 years" and this sometimes comes from people who regularly swap out their cars every 5-6 years because they're always chiming in about "resale value". And how's the saving going? Cheaper, faster, smaller, pick 2? Anti-EV arguments seem to pick more than 2, just as you did, you pick on range, you pick on savings, you pick on environment, you pick on looks, you pick on fun-factor. Someone who feels good about not buying gas may not care about saving money, sure you do, but did you really think about all those things with your current car? are you saving money? are you doing anything for the environment? You having fun? :)

In general, my commute is around 100 miles per day. The Tesla goes 200+. Theoretically, I can go two days before charging again. That seems more than reasonable for my daily use and I'm fine with plugging it in when I get home, even if that has to be every night.

Additionally, when I go on a road trip, most of the time it is less than 400 miles round-trip. As long as I can get where I'm going, waiting to charge the car for the return trip isn't a big deal. With the proliferation of charging stations and the like, combined with living on the East coast, I could probably accomplish quite a bit with a full electric vehicle. The rest of the time I could use my wife's car.

I like where the technology is headed. There will always be a place for muscle cars in my mind, but the days of using one as your daily driver are probably never coming back. Given enough time for the industry to continue to mature and for companies like Tesla to keep innovating on the battery front (I know there are a number of others doing so, but to be honest I couldn't name one off the top of my head), the cost curve should be coming down to an affordable level within a reasonable time frame.

And you continue not understanding that it isn't purely a sound chip that is responsible for the experience we are talking about and why an EV can never reproduce that experience. Again this comes from the fact that you have never experienced a real muscle car that you so kindly confirmed. Otherwise you wouldn't be sitting here trying to argue that a sound chip can fully replicate the experience. Does it work on a regular IC engine? Yes but only because there are other factors being produced by that IC engine that make the experience believable. It doesn't matter if an EV sounds like a V12 monster if it doesn't feel and smell like it. It is on par with trying to argue that playing Gran Turismo with a high end surround audio system is the same as driving the real thing. It just Isn't..no matter how realistic it sounds.

"Never experienced a muscle car" is just an ego statement until it's backed by rational explanation, so please explain to me how a a car that will go from 0-60 in 2.8 seconds and sounds like a banshee - if need be - is a boring ride.

I'm not seeing the problem here, you have a muscle car that will suck you into the seat at the press of the pedal, sticks to the road like glue, and can sound like whatever you prefer it to sound like. If we were talking about a Honda fit then I could understand the point you're trying to make here.

What else does it need to emulate that cannot be achieved with basic modern day technology? Pitch? Vibrations? It's certainly not performance that's missing here, so I'm confused as to what else you need.

Mopar or No Car! Charger for me, thank you very much. However, that is one thing I would have to be trained to handle since I have never driven a high end car like that before.

If It weren't for Prius and Leaf drivers, I might actually like Teslas, but unfortunately, 95% of Prius and Leaf drivers are umm.. bad. Living in the bay area, there are a TON of electrics/hybrids.. and for some reason, they all think they should be driving in the fastlane/carpool lane after carpool hours.. they also seem to like to cut in and then slow down.

I suppose Tesla drivers seem a little better, but from what I've seen.. in the area, if you are after a fun ride for that amount, you tend to go with a GT-R, M3/M5, C63.. then you hit 40 and Tesla starts sounding appealing.. lol.

Ironically, I'm in the process of getting solar panels installed by Solar City, so the main thing from Tesla I am interested in is the home battery.. lol.

Nice video. Very Enjoyable and I like how he wasnt super biased one way or the other.Thanks

"Never experienced a muscle car" is just an ego statement until it's backed by rational explanation, so please explain to me how a a car that will go from 0-60 in 2.8 seconds and sounds like a banshee - if need be - is a boring ride.

I'm not seeing the problem here, you have a muscle car that will suck you into the seat at the press of the pedal, sticks to the road like glue, and can sound like whatever you prefer it to sound like. If we were talking about a Honda fit then I could understand the point you're trying to make here.

What else does it need to emulate that cannot be achieved with basic modern day technology? Pitch? Vibrations? It's certainly not performance that's missing here, so I'm confused as to what else you need.

Never called it a boring ride, but it doesn't compare. As I said, it isn't an ego statement it is just a simple fact. You don't and cannot understand until you experience it.

Never called it a boring ride, but it doesn't compare. As I said, it isn't an ego statement it is just a simple fact. You don't and cannot understand until you experience it.

That's just an opinion then. Everyone can have one.

Sometimes you talk to those old geezers riding Harleys and they bring up the same thing about the vastly superior Kawasakis, those things don't have "soul" and so on.

It doesn't have to make "technical" sense, the connection they have with it is emotional, built on memories/lifestyle from another era, so a younger generation may not connect to it anymore.

Hey it's a free market, sell retro as well while it's profitable, nothing wrong with that.

When I was 12 years old Muscle Cars impressed me, but these days I associate them with middle aged guys who wear a lot of gold (yeah I know the source of the image):

Muscle Car driver =
conan-gold-iphone-main1.jpg

So while there are older generation members who will be excited by an over the top muscle car(dodge), for me the Tesla is a car for the future, the Dodge is mired in the past.

Anyone remember the first meeting of these cars. The guy blew the launch, even this time with competent drivers, there is all kind so drama and burnout to warm the tires for the Dodge and it still loses.

The Tesla, just drives up and Boom(more like woosh), it's gone. It's power you can use every day, without attracting LEOs.

Back