Symbian or Windows Mobile?

Biges

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi!

As my HTC TyTN 2 (aka Kaise) proves to be rather crappy phone (slow), I'd really like to buy new one. Certainly not HTC any more, as I want to actually *use* the phone camera.
Also as I want to stick to stylus it has to be either Windows Mobile or Symbian.

So after this intro I'd like to ask, which one of these two is more customizable? I know Windows Mobile quite well and I think I could use it on the new phone, but maybe Symbian is a way better.

Looking through many webpages gives no clear answer. Besides some fun photography and games I'd like to use the phone as a diary, sending messages etc. At the present I don't see a clear winner, maybe S-E Vivaz Pro (I'd like to stick with full qwerty keyboard).

But anyway, I'd like to know which is more customizable - WM or Symbian?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by customizable but Symbian is Open Source so I presume whatever you ultimately want can be changed. Symbian does have themes, services, alternate display settings, remapping of keys, tons of applications, etc. My E63 doesn't even vaguely resemble or act like what it did out of the box.

I lean with Symbian for if you want customize. If you choose Symbian, you're going to have to stick with Nokia phones. If you want a stylus, you're best bet would be Nokia XpressMusic 5800 or 5530, but both lacks QWERTY keyboard. If you want QWERTY keyboard with stylus, you're going to have fork out some dough for the N97 or N97 mini. If you can do away the touch screen + stylus, the Nokia E75 is an excellent all round phone.

Good luck with your phone search!

Unfortunately the messaging part of S60 is kinda poor and Nokia insists on sticking with 3 row keyboards for everything. Both OSs are very customizable however.

I used that same processor with half the RAM in the HTC Titan I was using :eek:. I agree...it sucked and was too slow.

That being said, if you get a newer phone with Windows Mobile 6.5. I think you'd have a better experience with it. HTC is a pretty solid phone manufacturer. The Samsung looks nice also.

Thanks for your opinions. So far I consider either Samsung B7610 or Nokia N97. I really want a usable camera, so no HTC :) As Blue Fox mentioned, the three-row keyboard on N97 looks uninviting.

I know Windows Mobile can be customized, download various Home Page themes, hack this, hack that...

It seems there is no a "perfect phone" :(

The N97s keyboard is actually very comfortable-I find it perfect to type on. Nokia nailed the keyboard, IMO. However, I can't really recommend the phone as it has a host of other issues (underpowered/not enough RAM/buggy OS). I would look into the Maemo based N900 for a QWERTY stylus enabled touch phone...it has a rapidly expanding community with lots of exciting progress in app development. S60, while packed with functionality and customization, is seriously lacking in intuitiveness and user interface. S60 V5 looks like a 3-4 year old mobile OS compared to Android, Maemo, etc.

Samsung B7610 bought and sold... I wasn't satisfied with it :-/

Back