Steam Weekend - Mount and Blade $5

Shoot! if I didn't already have the game... man... I just might bite it again just to give it to someone else. This game has no equals. Some really cool mods out there. This is a nobrainer.

They are coming out with Warband expansion which has multiplayer and other improvements. Anyone who's on the fence on this one should get it.

Shoot, you should just wait until this goes back to full price, then buy the game. The makers deserve it :p

Last edited:
Excellent game. You might be able to get into the Warband beta if you purchase it too.

Buy it... and buy warband too when it comes out. I sunk hundreds of hours into this game and all the sweet mods.

Grabbed a copy. I've always wanted to try this game. If I like it enough, the expansion's multiplayer might be able to fill that MMORPG PvP void I've been missing.

I've already got a copy for the PC. Is there anything special on the steam version that sets it apart from the Disk version?

I've already got a copy for the PC. Is there anything special on the steam version that sets it apart from the Disk version?

... it would be on Steam? I reinstall or build a new machine. I install Steam. I go to sleep. I come back the next day and all the games I want to play are already ready to go.

That's freaking special.

... it would be on Steam? I reinstall or build a new machine. I install Steam. I go to sleep. I come back the next day and all the games I want to play are already ready to go.

That's freaking special.

You know it would be soooo much faster just to copy your whole steam folder over to the new pc, delete the steamclient.blob file, start Steam, log in and your ready to play.

Why re-download countless gigabytes (depending on what you have on Steam) when you don't have to.

Anyway, someone talk me into buying this, why is it so much fun? What all does it consist of?

You know it would be soooo much faster just to copy your whole steam folder over to the new pc, delete the steamclient.blob file, start Steam, log in and your ready to play.

Why re-download countless gigabytes (depending on what you have on Steam) when you don't have to.

Anyway, someone talk me into buying this, why is it so much fun? What all does it consist of?

It is one of the few games in which you can build up an army from the ground up and actively take over a castle, then a city, then the whole map creating a powerful kingdom that you can manage as the rightful king. Of course, you'll need to download a mod to do some decent kingdom management, such as Sword of Damocles. The game incorporates RPG, strategy, and FPS elements very well. It also has a large following on its forums, including in the modding forum.

Downside:
The game is poor in graphics, only allows 32 troop types to be garrisoned at any one castle/city/regiment (rarely a problem with vanilla, but some mods add dozens of new troops making this very annoying), AI is not bad but not any special, basically no storyline, and some annoying quirks exist.

I would recommend the demo but I disliked it since it is only valid until level ~7. Like I stated before, it will likely take some time to have this game grow on you, and once it does, you can easily invest hours into it a day.

Link to forums to read about the game: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php

Even more special! Just another reason to use steam. You can copy to another PC without the pain of reinstalling. Either way you do it, Steam makes it much easier than installing from discs at any rate.

You can do that?? :eek: I always backed my games up the normal way (File -> Backup Games...). I didn't know you can just back up the entire folder. This'll make things much, much easier the next time I reformat. Thanks! :D

The game is always digitally distributed. Even from their site.

I'm not sure what people are talking about it being hard to get into. The thing about the beginning, is that you will die a lot. It's not an easy start. But once you get the hang of things you wouldn't want it any other way.

what it delivers:
- The most realistic medieval combat mechanics ever. Hand eye coordination is more important to combat prowess than leveling up. Closest thing to a medieval FPS.
- Challenge. You are not a god, it will be easy for anyone to deal you the final blow. You will not only need to have good coordination, but be smart about where you go and what you do during a battle.
- Big epic battles. You can fight in tournaments (1v1, 2v2 etc..) or fight in huge battles (download battlesizer for the most epic sized battles). The only games that have bigger battles are RTS games like Total War. Far more big battle action than Oblivion, NWN or the like. You can even solo against smaller groups of weaker bandits if you're smart and good.
- RPG elements. You do level up and gain skill. POLITICS. You do favors for various Lords, and can gain their favor. You do favors for the king and he might be more inclined to give you your own castle. You can break your oath to the king and support a claimant to the throne. Become martial and order Lord's around to fight battles with you. With mods, you start your own kingdom and manage it. You can gain honor for being good. You can gain renown for winning battles. Both of which factor into what's available to you.
- LOTS of mods. Lot of cool additions to choose from. Very modable.
- sandbox style gameplay. Become the bandit and raid the kings merchants. Or become a lord and play the politics game in your kingdom (be loyal to king or backstab him). Or become a mercenary. Or just do whatever or all of the above.
- the raw feeling of bloodlust for battle
- good music.

what it won't deliver:
-no deep main quest story (a la Bioware).
-no easy start for newbs (you will get 'knocked out' a lot at first). I think the expansion will easy up the beginning part of the learning curve.
-no voice acting
-No top notch graphics... though it will give your system a challenge if you use the battle sizer mod for huge battles. (otherwise if your computer is slow, large battles will be partitioned into parts). Mods will help on the graphics part. And the warband expansion will help too.
-No D&D style gameplay here.

Last edited:
Definitely worth the dive for $5. It looks a bit outdated, but it's an amazing game for that price.

If you load on a few of the mods that are out there, you can make a lackluster vanilla game look and play fantastically. I've been reading George RR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series, and the game really satiates my bloodlust as a result of that book. :D

I'm not sure what people are talking about it being hard to get into. The thing about the beginning, is that you will die a lot. It's not an easy start. But once you get the hang of things you wouldn't want it any other way.

what it delivers:
- The most realistic medieval combat mechanics ever. Hand eye coordination is more important to combat prowess than leveling up. Closest thing to a medieval FPS.
- Challenge. You are not a god, it will be easy for anyone to deal you the final blow. You will not only need to have good coordination, but be smart about where you go and what you do during a battle.
- Big epic battles. You can fight in tournaments (1v1, 2v2 etc..) or fight in huge battles (download battlesizer for the most epic sized battles). The only games that have bigger battles are RTS games like Total War. Far more big battle action than Oblivion, NWN or the like. You can even solo against smaller groups of weaker bandits if you're smart and good.
- RPG elements. You do level up and gain skill. POLITICS. You do favors for various Lords, and can gain their favor. You do favors for the king and he might be more inclined to give you your own castle. You can break your oath to the king and support a claimant to the throne. Become martial and order Lord's around to fight battles with you. With mods, you start your own kingdom and manage it. You can gain honor for being good. You can gain renown for winning battles. Both of which factor into what's available to you.
- sandbox style gameplay. Become the bandit and raid the kings merchants. Or become a lord and play the politics game in your kingdom (be loyal to king or backstab him). Or become a mercenary. Or just do whatever or all of the above.
- good music.

what it won't deliver:
-no easy start for newbs (you will get 'knocked out' a lot at first). I think the expansion will easy up the beginning part of the learning curve.
-no voice acting
-No top notch graphics... though it will give your system a challenge if you use the battle sizer mod for huge battles. (otherwise if your computer is slow, large battles will be partitioned into parts). Mods will help on the graphics part. And the warband expansion will help too.

Thank you for the great review. Looking forward to it!

I agree with the review...The mounted combat can be fun also (Don't see a lot of games out that do horse combat well), Although it can take a bit of time and patience to learn it well.
Mount and blade is a game that grows on you. (Especially with the mods as was said before)
If this isn't your type of gameplay or genre, then you probably won't like it, but if it is you can get a whole lot of playability out of it.
For $5 you really can't go wrong with it imho...:p

what it delivers:
- good music.

what it won't deliver:
-no voice acting

That pretty much sums it up there. What drew me in was the incredibly well designed mounted combat. Just riding around the field and fighting bandits was so incredibly fun the first time I played. The game literally started as a project between a Husband a Wife who are both programmers. From there it grew to what it is today.

One important thing to keep in mind: MODS MODS MODS!!! There are a ton of mods, not all of which change game mechanics. I use HD Textures, new models, and a HDR mod. The modding community is always working on something to make the game better.

This is truly a game that you play however way you want to. If you want a structured linear plot then look elsewhere, but I've never had such a blast just running around killing things in any other game.

Thanks to this I remembered I was going to get the Total War bundle. Now I see that the new STALKER is 20 bucks if you have one of the other games registered to Steam. Dang you Valve, why don't I just direct deposit my paycheck to you.

I would recommend the demo but I disliked it since it is only valid until level ~7.

Is that because on level 8 that's when the mutant aliens show up?

Or am I confusing this with another game dev?

Great game but you will either love it or hate it.

It is probably the only game in existence that masters horse combat.

I have no idea what game you are thinking of (Crysis?). I dislike the demo since the game took longer than a mere few levels to become enjoyable for me. Levels = levels up for the player, not actual campaign levels since this game has none.

Your such an idiot.

They have a name its Goontants and if you look carefully not far from the starting level you can find some before level 8 and get a "Psionic Plasma Rapier" which is clearly different than a Psionic Blade from DandD or a Lightsaber from Star Wars since those are copyrighted.

I was more bothered how around level 10 you find the character "Zandalf the Gay" which seems like a clear Tolkien ripoff and doesn't fit the world at all.

If you load on a few of the mods that are out there, you can make a lackluster vanilla game look and play fantastically. I've been reading George RR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series, and the game really satiates my bloodlust as a result of that book. :D

Wait till you get to book 4, you are going to facepalm so hard. And he only releases a book every 5 years. I really don't respect that author.

Back on topic, I bought the game :)

Playing it right now. Quick castle siege was ridiculous. Insane game.

Must have mods?

Thanks for the review. I've had M&B on my steam account unplayed and undownloaded for a couple years now, but your review is encouraging me to finally play it. I think I got it on discount for $10 a long time ago.

Does the steam version work well with mods? A lot of times it's better to have a hardcopy of a game because steam tends to mess things up.

You could have answered the question. Steam games sometimes have problems with mods that games from other DD sources don't have.

Like? Not saying you're wrong, but I've been using Steam for years now, and I'm not aware of it causing causing issues with mods for any games. I could possibly see the auto-update feature getting in the way, but that can easily be turned off.

FWIW - the thread had indeed already answered your question, just as he had said.

I HIGHLY suggest this game, and the Prophecy of Pendor mod, which is one of the BEST I've ever played.

If you buy this, sign up for the Mount and Blade Warband beta - the multiplayer variant!

Back