Steam 'Treasure Hunt' Sales

IcarusSC

Gawd
They're starting up a really big contest over at Steam -- looks like this is their ahead-of-holiday-sale sale, but there are some games for cheap.

R.U.S.E. $33.50 (33% off)
Poker Night at the Inventory $3 (40% off)
Chime (fun little puzzler) $1.25 (75% off)

And it looks like there will be 3 new sales every two days. Next one starts on the 8th.

The contest part is that if you get 10 specific achievements (mostly in games that they have on sale), you'll be entered to win 100 games of your choosing, plus every 2 days they choose 20 people to get 5 games from their wishlist.

Ah, I love Steam :)

...You buy games... As part of the object of the contest...

Eh

Pretty much my thoughts as well. But I guess if you already want/have the games with the correct achievements, it would be cool.

Not worth buying extra games IMO, though.

Well you can "manually" get those objectives without buy the game, if you send Valve a postcard with the name of the achievement you want.

The sales are what is most important not the perks. The perks may land you free games but as long as you have one of the perks you can, at the very least, be entered to win 5 games. It is definitely different but to me it is all about the sale prices not the perks.

I have a feeling there will be enough objectives that don't require game purchases to allow people to enter the grand prize draw without actually buying anything.

so far all you have to do is make an avatar and you get in the drawing. Doesn't cost a dime and anyone with an email account can do it. GTG

...You buy games... As part of the object of the contest...

Eh

there are 28 objectives and you only have to complete ten to be entered. Also, one of the objectives is making an avatar, so nine. I think it's a fun idea tbh. Will I buy RUSE for $33 because of it? No. But it's still neat to see them doing something different than the typical "Here's your cheap games" bit.

there are 28 objectives and you only have to complete ten to be entered. Also, one of the objectives is making an avatar, so nine. I think it's a fun idea tbh. Will I buy RUSE for $33 because of it? No. But it's still neat to see them doing something different than the typical "Here's your cheap games" bit.

I agree, but only to add flavor. Do I expect them to have a "Here we're giving away games" without a "catch"? No. But as previously posted, it's not necessarily going to make me really go nuts buying games. For example, I bit on Chime to try for the achievement and bought it again for my wife. Cheap game and thought she'd like it. I probably wouldn't do it otherwise. Now, I'm really not interested in Poker... so I'm not buying that, even though it's only $3.

no deals here worth looking at, ill wait for xmas sale, already have a shitload of games from thxgiving i havent even begun to think about installing, so have to really limit what i spend on

Chime is really cool. I recommend it. Bought it a few hours ago and I'm really liking it as a casual/puzzle kind of game.

Chime is a really good game. I also like Poker Night, though I am a bit upset it went on sale so soon after I bought it. I don't think it's been out more than what 2 weeks and it's half off. That's just nuts, it's like they are asking users to never buy games at release anymore cause it'll be on sale in a few days.

... it's like they are asking users to never buy games at release anymore cause it'll be on sale in a few days.

:eek: You mean someone doesn't already know that? I'm not sure if anyone else bothered to read the manual entry requirements, but they definitely made me laugh. That said; I too give kudos to Steam for coming up with a creative way to offer games on sale. For the price, I think I'll be biting on Chime.

I too give kudos to Steam for coming up with a creative way to offer games on sale. For the price, I think I'll be biting on Chime.
Sorry but its a mediocre idea delivered poorly.

The way the present it, its like "we got this great contest. Oh by the way, to have a better chance, you have to buy this..." Gives the contest the whole feel of Bait and Switch like slimy sales tactics.

They should have made the game deals central to the presentation and then mentioned buying one helps with credit towards the contest.

Valve gives away achievements?
No. For the purposes of the sweepstakes, you can mail in a an entry request, indicating which objective the entry is for--in place of getting that achievement.

Scroll down on the contest page to read the terms.

Well you can "manually" get those objectives without buy the game, if you send Valve a postcard with the name of the achievement you want.
Awww, I would have been willing to participate this way since stamps and post cards are cheap compared to games.

I would have missed out on the post cards for the first set given the date restriction.

Awww, I would have been willing to participate this way since stamps and post cards are cheap compared to games.

I would have missed out on the post cards for the first set given the date restriction.
It's worth reading the terms. The Alternative Entry draw will be happening in January.

I got as far as making a 10 game wish-list and creating an avatar. Couldn't really get myself to buy any of the games just to unlock an achievement. Hopefully some of the future objectives will be from games i already have, though I have a feeling most will come from newly released games.

Ehh, paying $1.25 for a game (Chime) was cheap enough for me to bite. I honestly probably wouldn't have bought the game otherwise, but I do enjoy it... actually spent *WAY* too much time last night trying to get a high % cleared in ~3m.

How good would "eets" be for the kids? It has a good metascore, but I didn't catch a rating. Anyone play it or know what age group it would be good for?

Hopefully none of the rest of the objectives will require me to play a game as pitifully lame as RUSE. Only thing that saved it from getting the full wrath of my hate was its very neat use of my new eyefinity set up. (cinematics looked sweet in eyefinity)

damnit, I need more friends...

omegas14 will be your friend!

How good would "eets" be for the kids? It has a good metascore, but I didn't catch a rating. Anyone play it or know what age group it would be good for?
It's been a while since I've played it, but from what I remember it's pretty tame.

Created Avatar, more then 10 friends and played Undergarden Demo.

New for today:
  • Have 10 friends on your friends list
  • Complete Ol' Buddy Ol' Pal achievement in Fallout: New Vegas
  • Set a leaderboard score of at least 22,600 on the level 'Mash Face Against Mountain' in AaAaAA!!!! (-75% = $2.50)
  • Play the demo or game The UnderGarden (-50% = $4.99, demo also available)

man I went to buy poker night and chime and it changed the prices right on me that minute it sucked~!

I'll do what I can. I'm not online that reliably these days.

I'll be your friend

After the contest, I will do some house keeping and clean up my friends list. Nothing personal.

I'll do what I can. I'm not online that reliably these days.

I'll be your friend

After the contest, I will do some house keeping and clean up my friends list. Nothing personal.

You're not a good friend.

As far as AAAaaAAAAA I don't know if TOTALLY worth it but yea it is not bad.

Back