StarForge

madFive

metal[H]ead
I could have sworn we had a thread for this already, but I couldn’t find it today, so here it is again!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227680

StarForge! An early-access game on Steam that was in alpha for ages and ages – I bought in over a year ago not realizing what “early access” meant to these devs and was pretty disappointed initially. They finally released a massive update for if some time recently, and it’s now officially out of Alpha. I tried out the new beta build with some friends over this past weekend, and I am loving this game now! I am completely hooked.

The game is like a cross between MineCraft & Halo/Borderlands or some other space-shooter. The current version of the game is almost like a pure hi-def MineCraft with lots of exploring, mining, crafting, and not a whole lot of combat. At some point later the devs are supposedly adding a Fort-Wars mode for more PvP strategy action, and I assume they are putting the hoard-defense mode back in at some point for more exciting alien-shooting action once you’ve got a base built. The devs seem to have a lot of plans for future modes and features in the game, and with this latest update I finally believe they might actually deliver on more of those plans.

Anyhow – check it out. I’d say the game is finally worth playing now, especially if you like MineCraft but want something that looks a lot better and has cool space-shooter elements. There was a sale last Saturday to get it for $5, which I’d say is a perfect price. Get it next time!

Also, I’m hoping there are more [H]’ers who are playing it, since I need more info on this new version, and google isn’t helping! Someone please tell me how to get Monolithium! Do I need a blue-print to be able to forge it, or do I just use a specific machine to make it? One of my friends was able to make some earlier on our MP game, but he couldn’t remember how when I asked him later, and I haven’t found the blue-print in my SP game yet. How get monolithium!?

In the current version of SF, the controls and interface for several game elements are not very intuitive, so there’s a good bit of a learning-curve as you try to learn how to do everything – it’s a lot like MineCraft in that you’ll want to check the wiki to figure stuff out, except for SF there’s no wiki yet for this new version of the game… so it’s really hard to find info right now. Let’s make this thread a source for SF info: where to find elements, how to forge stuff, screen-shots of your creations, combat tips, etc. Go!

Reserving this space to show off some screen-shots later…

[ ]

[ ]

For those that also have experience with Planet Explorers can you share your thoughts on how they compare? Both in terms of current state and future direction/potential (granted speculative)?

Back