SSD OS question

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
I was rethinking my order and getting the OCZ Vertex 3 , Iv read they have released a firmware update that fixes most people's BSOD bugs. I was wondering do the firmwares have to be installed before the OS is installed or can it be done afterwards?

Im also a little concerned about the 120GB size, should I look to spend a hundred or so more to get a 240? I do have a reg 1T drive for other programs though.

You can install the firmware after the OS. Only in the past, some of the earlier big releases required destructive flashes which would wipe your drive.

120GB is fine, in the near future you *should* be able to raid 0 with TRIM once intel releases the new RST 11.5 drivers.

Also, with the technology developing so quickly, the 240GB prices are not yet in the sweet spot.

I just got an Intel 320 series, and their SSD Toolbox utility says all data will be lost using their firmware upgrade feature.

I offer this only as an example. Each situation is different, and with SSD'd I have found there is no real strong consensus on a lot of set up issues. I suggest you check a lot of sources, including OCZ before making a decision that could cost you valuable data.

Most sources I checked seemed to agree that a firmware update is an essential part, and should be performed early in the set up process to get the most out of your SSD.

You can flash the firmware before or after the OS install. If you install the OS, you essentially download a Linux based boot program that you can put on CD/DVD or flash stick, boot from that, and it will go out and check for a newer firmware for you. I have flashed mine several times, and flashed my son's once already as well using the Linux boot flash drive thingy....

If you have the option, do the firmware flash first then install the OS. Personally, I'd be cautious of buying an OCZ drive - their customer service has been less than exemplary of late. If you want to go with a Sandforce drive, I'd go with the Corsair Force GT instead.

If you have the option, do the firmware flash first then install the OS. Personally, I'd be cautious of buying an OCZ drive - their customer service has been less than exemplary of late. If you want to go with a Sandforce drive, I'd go with the Corsair Force GT instead.

Picked one of them up yesturday and its a great drive once you do all the tweaks and make sure its not on a Jmicron port or youll get half speed.

Picked one of them up yesturday and its a great drive once you do all the tweaks and make sure its not on a Jmicron port or youll get half speed.

Basically there are several makers of similar drives. My experience with OCZ's 2nd generation SSDs is 3 out of 6 failed. Added to that their performance last year with NAND switch, I looked to other providers.

I certainly hope your future experience with them is better than my past.

Basically there are several makers of similar drives. My experience with OCZ's 2nd generation SSDs is 3 out of 6 failed. Added to that their performance last year with NAND switch, I looked to other providers.

I certainly hope your future experience with them is better than my past.

Don't worry -- he was referring to the Force GT.

Back