Splicing into a modular connector for MB on switch?

Opty1218

Limp Gawd
Just had an idea for a minimal wiring build using a modular power supply, bypassing the motherboard pinout headers.

The idea would be taking a corsair AX series psu, and on the psu end of the 24 pin connector, splice into the green wire and closest ground wire with something like: this then connecting a molex connector to that with wires leading to a vandal switch. Not caring about hdd use/power leds on the case, would this be a safe & effective way to turn on a PC without messing with mobo headers?

No. The power switch is connected to the motherboard for a reason. Use it.

Wouldn't work because the motherboard continuously sends the "on" signal to the PSU until it shuts down. The motherboard controls this function for a reason. If you wired it to the switch, then it will only stay on for the duration that you are pressing the switch.

so then all he has to do is wire in a switch that stays on?
That's what I originally thought he intended to do. However, I don't think it would be a good plan, since it interferes with the motherboard's operation. At the very least, the computer wouldn't be able to shut down properly, but I don't know what other effects it might have.

Definitely still not a good plan. Who knows what might happen to the motherboard and CPU if power is still supplied, even if it's for a short while after complete shutdown, assuming he knows when it occurs. If he shuts off power prior to complete shutdown, who knows what processes he might be interfering with.

If OP really wants to use that switch, just wire it to your motherboard header. It functions in the exact same way as the switch on your case.

Connect the green and the back with each other or do you want it plugged into the mobo aswell?

Back