So, what's the situation?

Biges

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi!

I have not been here on the forum for quite some time, attending RL duties and such.

As I recall, often demanded monitor had been IPS, 24"+, no problem with the wide gamut, i.e. either sRGB monitor or one with a very good emulation. The answer used to be NEC 2490, which is quite expensive, or even more costly HP LP2480zx. Or Dell 2209WA for cheapskates, but it is only 22".

So had this changed? Is there a cheaper, larger alternative?

Thanks

Hi Biges

I haven't been particularly active so I may have missed some information, but I can still give a brief rundown regarding IPS for those who are interested.

The Dell U2410 is a 24" model with the same base panel as the LP2475w that comes with factory measurement and a Color LUT. Because of this, the unit has the capacity to offer a more accurate sRGB mode preset compared to others. The actual sRGB implementation seems to be insubstantial as it cannot be configured, and introduces a grainy sort of dithering. I have a query as to whether anyone has tried native Displayport 10-bit mode (if this is possible) as I think it may help this latter problem.

Furthermore, there are numerous reports of green/red tinting on the left and right side of the monitor. Recently, this has ushered a pathetic and unacceptable response by a Dell liaison agent in the Dell community forums.

A new iMac model was announced featuring a 27" IPS panel using a resolution of 2560*1440, which is the first 27" IPS product by LG. Shortly after, TFTCentral picked up news of an unreleased Dell monitor with the model name U2711, which led to speculation about whether it will be using the iMac panel or alternatively a more common 27" VA panel.

Two 23" models were released, unfortunately not in Australia, namely the NEC EA231WMi and the Viewsonic VP2365wb. Both have a resolution of 1920x1080, are inexpensive and are standard gamut. The EA231WMi thread contains reports of color tinting akin to the issue in the u2410.

Finally, Eizo have begun using IPS panels to my knowledge in their new 24" Flexscan Premium and CG models. A member here reported that their CG243W achieved a perfect native sRGB mode but of course it cost something like 1600 eu. the Flexscan Premium SX2462W is significantly cheaper, costing $2020 compared to $1520 for the 2490 in the Australian market and comes with a similar feature set compared to the CG.

Back