Slectively offer "eject?" option on internal SATA ports?

Surly73

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have an Asus P5B-E. I'm planning to upgrade to Sandy Bridge this summer, but I have not chosen a board. I generally run Intel SATA/RST drivers on all of my installs and I use AHCI mode. I understand that the Win7 factory drivers allow you to "eject" any SATA device but the Intel drivers remove that option for internal drives. Clearly ejecting the system drive is dumb, but...

There's a hot swap dock (the ineo I-NA205Ue) I'm thinking about getting for a particular purpose. It connects to internal SATA connectors. I successfully use my JMicron eSATA connector for a removable disk chassis including the eject function. I am concerned that I would not be able to properly work with this ineo dock since it is on the internal Intel connectors. I don't wish to revert back to the Microsoft SATA drivers because it would really clutter my eject menu (which is getting pretty full these days) and users could accidentally try to eject the system drive or my internal data HDD.

Are there registry or driver options which you can select to make a particular device or port ejectable under Intel drivers but leave the rest fixed?

Thanks,

EDIT: Perhaps an add on utility like Hotswap! is a way to address this?

My Sandy Bridge mobo (Maximus IV Extreme) allows you to select in the BIOS which ports you want as hot-swap enabled. Also, any ports that are connected to the Marvell ports are already enabled for hotswap.

I found the link I used to remove mine (using msachi) from the list:

http://www.sevenforums.com/539409-post4.html

Needs a reboot / logoff and then they're gone

My problem isn't that I have too many, it's that there aren't enough... Unless you're referring to reverting to the Microsoft AHCI drivers where everything is hotswappable, and then using your method to remove the permanent ones? I'll keep this in my back pocket but I'd rather use the Intel drivers if I can....

Thx,

My Sandy Bridge mobo (Maximus IV Extreme) allows you to select in the BIOS which ports you want as hot-swap enabled. Also, any ports that are connected to the Marvell ports are already enabled for hotswap.

Good to know, thanks

My problem isn't that I have too many, it's that there aren't enough... Unless you're referring to reverting to the Microsoft AHCI drivers where everything is hotswappable, and then using your method to remove the permanent ones? I'll keep this in my back pocket but I'd rather use the Intel drivers if I can....

Thx,

yeah that's to remove them.. sorry, I misunderstood your question!

Back