Sanyo FW43D25F

vick1000

2[H]4U
Sanyo FW43D25F 43" 1080p 120Hz Class LED HDTV - Walmart.com

Saw it in store, noticed it was IPS based, took a shot due to Walmart return policy, absolute steal.

Blacks on par with most newer IPS, I would estimate .12-.14. Almost NO IPS GLOW, this is sitting 3-4 feet away. No bleed, no dead pixels. Excellent contrast, little to no banding.

Has psuedo 120 motion enhance, not sure if it does much for PC over DVI-HDMI. 4:4:4 is undetermined. I can read the red/magenta text in the online tests just fine, better than on my 32" Panasonic, but It's still undetermined. Not an issue for me, most text I encounter is perfectly readable, if a bit blocky in some instances, since I sit so close.

Motion and pixel response appears above average, a bit better than the Panasonic it replaced, and no noticable input lag.

720p content is excellent, SD over the air is not so great, but I have no use for that anyway. SD content using the nVidia scaling is typical.

Semi-glossy coating is glossy.

Black unifomity is excellent, white and grey are typical of newer large LED HDTVs. Little darker in the corners, and left/right 10% slightly darker. Not an issue for me, sample varience and burn in time could change that.

For $300? I'm keeping it. Even though I will probably get a 4k in the next couple of years, I am glad I took the chance on this unknown gem.

Here is the 4:4:4 test picture. Make sure the picture is not resized to browser window or it does not work right. The correct result will be clearly readable.
http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png

A quick test, try to make a custom resolutions at 120hz input and see if it takes 120hz in. Try both 1080p and 720p. If it does take it in also make sure it shows it all without frameskipping with Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests and take photos of what you see with your camera. Frameskipping will be obvious since it jumps over the boxes and a camera will catch that.

If all goes well we may have a hidden gem in our hands. Even if 120 (or anything higher than 60hz) is out of the question, 4:4:4 supporting IPS glow free big screen for 300$ is a fricking steal. Even though I am a VA panel guy.

OK, I can clearly read the 4:4:4 on the right, but the 4:2:2 on the left is clearly dominant. The 4:4:4 is a darker purple but clearly visible, the 4:2:2 is bright pink/magenta and clearly visble. Won't take 120hz at any resolution. It's not free of glow, but sitting center in front of it at 3-4 feet away, there is none. Only when you get about 2.5 feet away will it appear from the top right and bottom left corners. If you move off axis say 25 degrees, from 3-4 feet, it's there. But I never notice it in normal use at all (on dark content of course).

I just can't stand VA panels, not for a PC monitor. The contrast shift cannot be ignored, and it's a deal breaker for me.

After a week with this puppy, I can honestly say it's an absolute steal.

OK, I updated my graphics drivers, and now there is the option to select YCbCr444 output, and I can confirm the TV does 444 over DVI>HDMI perfectly. Though you do have to reduce color to prevent bleed over on the tests, it is 100% clearly 444 capable and at 1080p and 60hz.

So in conclusion, for ~$300:

42.5" IPS panel
Very moderate glow, none noticable at 3 feet or more head on.
Psuedo 120 that does not cause soap opera effect but does reduce blur a little.
Decent blacks, on par with other IPS in class (~.14), but not on par with the 34" ultra wides (~.12).
Good contrast and color, no banding. Highly configurable color options (gain and offset).
No bleed on mine, some typical uniformity issues.
Glossy coating.
Maybe a funk subpixel structure, not sure. Yellows have a more visble pixel seperation, not a big deal at 3 feet plus. But 444 capable @1080p and 60hz.

Last edited:
I am thinking about getting this tv, but I am also looking at the vizio E40-D0 ($299) which has full array led back light and local dimming. Does the Sanyo have edge lit or what? I can't seem to find anything about it.

I have a cheap 40 inch from bestbuy that has great picture only directly in front of the TV. It's a Westinghouse, but I am so surprised a 2015 tv looks so washed out at any even remote slight side angle. Dark beautiful reds in front of the tv slowly turn to washed out pinkish/salmon from even small movements. I've seen much older LCD sets that don't seem to have this issue. (What causes this by the way, TN panel with edge lit?)

Either way, just looking for a nice tv that has great color uniformity from all angles. Do you think this Sanyo would be suitable or would the full array Vizio be better at that?

Will be using it for lots of bright Pixar/Disney blu-rays and bright Wii U colors.

Thank you

Last edited:
Back