Samsung F4 2TB HDD - $99 shipped Newegg

damn you OP. I did not need to spend more money!!:mad:

shit in for one. :eek:

:p

damn you OP. I did not need to spend more money!!:mad:

shit in for one. :eek:

:p

I don't need spend more money either, but I'm contemplating between one or two. Also contemplating if I do order, if I should ship it to NY instead of NJ to save like $7 or $14 on tax haha :X

Damn, just got one from the 'egg for $119 shipped. BTW, it was well packaged in a cardboard separator and then a semi-rigid clear plastic case. Working just fine in my WHS.

Was $110 just last week in a combo with a $25 USB docking station...

Eh, not sure I need another one... Sure is tempting...

Was $110 just last week in a combo with a $25 USB docking station...

Eh, not sure I need another one... Sure is tempting...

I think I'll wait until black friday or thereabouts to get another drive.

Whats the big deal with 667gb platters on a 5400RPM drive? Still slower than f3's, no? I know most people are using 2tb drives for storage and all, so speed is less important, but if speed isn't important, then who cares about the 667gb platters?

Whats the big deal with 667gb platters on a 5400RPM drive? Still slower than f3's, no? I know most people are using 2tb drives for storage and all, so speed is less important, but if speed isn't important, then who cares about the 667gb platters?

Yeah it is used mainly for storage so speed isn't necessarily that important but it is faster and more power efficient than the F3.

Faster at lower RPM = more efficient.

Not slower by much, because of the higher aerial density per platter even at 5400rpm the drives are still bloody fast. At the price and capacity it's pretty hard to turn this deal down...

Like it or not we are going to see more and more lower RPM drives with higher density platters as technology moves forward - rotation speed is no longer necessarily indicative of a high performance drive.

Just as a comparison, there's a WD20EARS from Dell for $95 + tax.

So does this drive outperform the Caviar Green 2TB drive?

Yeah it is used mainly for storage so speed isn't necessarily that important but it is faster and more power efficient than the F3.
So this thing is faster than an F3 1TB drive? I was under the impression that the F3 is faster than the 1TB Black drive

Just got two drives from the NJ warehouse. They were put in shock containers, wrapped with bubble wrap on 5/6 sides, and then individually boxed. The boxes weren't surrounded by foam peanuts like they would be from some other retailers, but it's a HUGE improvement.

My last drive (which was admittedly quite a few years ago) arrived from neweegg at the top of a big box w/other components in it, with some bubble wrap put UNDER the hard drive. The bubble wrap was popped when it arrived.

If Newegg sticks with this new shipping method, I'll be ordering hard drives from them again.

I just got my drive that was shipped from California. So far it's working fine, but packing left a lot to be desired. The drive was basically in a plastic clamshell (probably standard) with that in a tight fitting cardboard sleeve. That was in the bottom of the shipping box with foam peanuts filling up the rest of the space. It did ship to me Fedex next day, rather than the Fedex two day I'd paid for, so that was nice. As I said, it seems to be working fine so far.

It's a valid comment seeing as Newegg still has their team of one handed retarded monkeys dedicated to doing nothing but packing bare drives in the most screwed up way possible.

when was the last time you got one from Newegg...?

I've bought four or so in the last year and they've all been packed well and are still running in my rig...

Just got two drives from the NJ warehouse. They were put in shock containers, wrapped with bubble wrap on 5/6 sides, and then individually boxed.

Newegg went to that method at some point this year, and it didn't look all that bad compared to their typical methods.

But now they're using that (for me, loose-fitting) cardboard sleeve with nothing more.

Mine came in the clamshell with the cardboard sleeve (loose, though) in a combo with a USB HD docking station. So, the docking station was allowed to knock it around.

My guess is Newegg found the bubble-wrap and individual boxes way too expensive, and it was cutting into their profit margins.

I got my drive today from newegg. It came in a clam shell wrapped in bubble wrap, then packed in the box with crumpled paper. So far so good, checking the drive now for bad blocks, but man this is taking a while.

There's a Samsung F4 series? When did those release? I'm guessing they aren't anything special or I would have heard about them.

I've bought four or so in the last year and they've all been packed well and are still running in my rig...

I haven't bought one in a while but I bit on this. I had heard that they got tired of all the complaints. hopefully they have improved on this.

They're supposed to be better than the F3 series.
I just read up a bit on the 2TB F4. Wow, 667GB platters. Pretty nice. I saw some HDTune benches and it outperformed my 7200.12 even though the sammy's a 5400RPM> I guess that shows how HD performance isn't just raw rpms.

I just read up a bit on the 2TB F4. Wow, 667GB platters. Pretty nice. I saw some HDTune benches and it outperformed my 7200.12 even though the sammy's a 5400RPM> I guess that shows how HD performance isn't just raw rpms.

WD's also making 667GB-per-platter, three platter 2TB HDs now. But they're using the same model numbers as the 500GB-per-platter, four platter 2TBs. So, you could get either.

This F4 guarantees you are getting a 667GB-per-platter, three-platter drive.

Three weeks ago give or take a couple of days. I had bought two of the 2TB WD EADS drives that were going for a rediculously low price at the time.

They arrived with both drives stacked togther (physically one on top of the other directly touching each other) and then the stack was wrapped in a single layer of bubblewrap. That 'bundle' was shipped in a box with a crumpled up piece of brown paper and 2x right angle SATA cables (I ordered these).

When I got the package I just rolled my eyes because I could feel the drives just sliding around in the box just carrying it to the workbench. Thunk... kathunk... kathunk. God that's such an awful feeling/noise.

IIRC this was shipped from their CA center.

Amazingly both drives worked fine and went into a client build. I was still pretty cheesed about it though.

Back