Router + wireless router on same subnet issue

elektronisch

2[H]4U
I have a wired router and a wireless router (the wireless router running dd-wrt)

The wired router is connected to my desktop and the wireless router.

On the wireless router I have one desktop machine, an iphone, and a laptop.

The issue is all three of those machines on the wireless router are on a separate ip range 192.168.1.x and the wired router 192.168.0.x

Is it possible to get the wireless router to use the same ip range (dhcp server) as the wired router? Since the wired router is my "gateway," it can only port forward to addresses within the same ip range and since the majority of the machines on my network at under the wireless router it cannot port forward to them. I have a server running on my HTPC and laptop that I need accessible to the outside.

Thanks for any tips, sorry I know very little about networking

I've also tried setting the DHCP "mode" on the wireless router to the IP of the wired router to use the same DHCP server and it would just hang and I'd have to hard reset the wireless router.

You need to disable the DHCP on the wireless router.

Last edited:
Main router, 192.168.0.1, leave DHCP enabled
Wireless router, make LAN IP 192.168.0.245, disable DHCP on it, and uplink it to your main switch or to your wired router using a LAN port on each. You will not use the WAN/Internet port of your wireless router. Thus in this method you're really just using the wireless router as a wireless access point, you're not using its router features.

Awesome, I was doing everything correct accept connecting it to a LAN port instead of the WAN port!

Thanks all!

Yet can you not port forward from the wireless router to the wired router and then the wired port forwarding would work?

in the scenario above the wireless "router" is not routing at all... it is merely bridging the wireless connections onto the wired Ethernet

Back