Removing electrical tape

Silent Assasin

[H]ard|Gawd
So how is this best done. In my current system, I used electrical tape to wrap my PSU cables for a cheap clean. Now when I finished my case build, I want to move the PSU over to the new case, but I want this one to look like the best case anyone has ever seen, lol. But anyway, the electrical tape just won't cut it for looks and I'm going to buy some of the UV reactive mesh sleeving. But I know that when you try to remove elcetrical tape it leaves a sticky gooey mess allover the place. Especially when it's been heated several time.... So, what be the best way about removing the tape? Or would it just be a better idea to leave it on and sleev over it.... I'm not exactly sure how the mesh looks once it's on. Will there be big holes in the mesh that you could see the tape job? Or will it pretty much cover everything, and the tape maybe even give a good backround color for the mesh??? Let me remind you that the tape job was done fairly fast and some of the cables look like crap.

I'm not sure what to suggest for removing it, but personally, I think it'd be fine to use the sleeving over the black electrical tape. However... I'd probably go for taking it off too. I suppose if you did a REALLY good job with the electrical tape, keeping it would be a good idea, but from what you wrote it may be a better idea to just go with the sleeving.

By the way, you'll be able to see through the sleeving (small holes), but it's not going to show what's inside much, especially if you have UV lights... the lights would take the focus off the wires inside. In other words, it's going to look fine without the electrical tape if you sleeve over it.

Two words:

Goo Gone

This stuff is totally amazing for getting any sticky, gooey mess off of just about anything. Pour a little dab onto a paper towell and run your cables through it and let dry. They'll be squeaky clean with no residue in no time.

Then sleeve your junk and your're good to go.

To get the sticky residue off you could probably use some cleaning/rubbing alcohol, should work.
Also believe it or not petrol is a pretty good cleaning product when nothing else is around.

Neither Wd-40, nail polish, or rubbing alcohol will take off mounting tape gunk. I'll try goo gone next but beginning to believe that laboriously using your nail is the only way

agrikk said:
Two words:

Goo Gone

This stuff is totally amazing for getting any sticky, gooey mess off of just about anything. Pour a little dab onto a paper towell and run your cables through it and let dry. They'll be squeaky clean with no residue in no time.

Then sleeve your junk and your're good to go.

Two words: Bad Idea

More words: Lacquer thinner + prepsol/waxngrease remover

Nail polish, wd40, and other stuff have a terrible stench. Lacquer thinner tends to smell also but all you've gotta do is apply it to a towel and blam anything it touches wipes right off.

Qtip42 said:
More words: Lacquer thinner + prepsol/waxngrease remover

Bingo. Wax remover is exactly what we use at work to remove tags, stickers and grime from computers/laptops and monitors at work. It works better than anything else and isn't harsh to the surface.

Eh, I guess I never tried wd-40 on goo like that before.... That crap fixes all.... It's working great.

Silent Assasin said:
Eh, I guess I never tried wd-40 on goo like that before.... That crap fixes all.... It's working great.

have fun losing brain cells :D

Back