Regarding Windows 8 Pro Download

Smythe

Limp Gawd
So if all goes well I'll be upgrading my computer sometime around June. I figure I might as well get the OS now though since the price will be jumping dramatically in a few days. Before I do so I have some questions about the upgrade process.

1. Can I purchase the DL from Microsoft's site and then sit on it until I'm ready to use it in June?

2. What happens to the old Windows 7 key that is being upgraded to 8? Does Microsoft void it so that it can't be used on another PC? What if the key is a family pack key (1 key on 3 computers)?

3. Can I get the free Media Center add-on now and install it when I get around to installing 8 in June or does it have to be installed prior to Feb 1?

So if all goes well I'll be upgrading my computer sometime around June. I figure I might as well get the OS now though since the price will be jumping dramatically in a few days. Before I do so I have some questions about the upgrade process.

1. Can I purchase the DL from Microsoft's site and then sit on it until I'm ready to use it in June?

Yes.

You can actually tell the Upgrade Assistant (if you use that) to download an ISO file. That's how I got my copy of Windows 8 Pro.

I forgot the exact option, but it's somewhere along the lines that you want to install it from a USB thumb drive or similar. Someone here probably tell you what it is exactly. It comes right before you enter your payment information if I recall.

From there, it'll download a 2GB-ish ISO file.

2. What happens to the old Windows 7 key that is being upgraded to 8? Does Microsoft void it so that it can't be used on another PC? What if the key is a family pack key (1 key on 3 computers)?

The key doesn't get voided.

3. Can I get the free Media Center add-on now and install it when I get around to installing 8 in June or does it have to be installed prior to Feb 1?

Yes, you have until Feb. 1st. to get Media Center add-on for free. After that date, it goes up to $9.95.

Thanks.

Just to clarify though the Media Center key will still work in June even if it hadn't been activated before Feb. 1?

I just got the Win8Pro upgrade D/L using the Upgrade Assistant (for my laptop).
I have the full "system builder" version of Win8Pro on a usb stick (For my desktop PCs).
Can I use that to upgrade my laptop instead of making another usb stick with the upgrade version?

Thanks.

Just to clarify though the Media Center key will still work in June even if it hadn't been activated before Feb. 1?

I saw a message saying if it wasn't activated by then, it wont be valid. I'm unsure how true this is though!

yea I got an email (from Microsoft) saying if windows media center wasn't activated by the end of jan it the key would be inactive.

Back