Problems with video output - is it the CPU?

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
So in my sig, the HTPC has been acting up lately, with it not working at all as of late. Basically, whenever I start it up, I wont see any video, just a blank screen with a box as to where the mouse should be that looks like corrupted video. It's nothing in particular, just a bunch of lines (sorta hard to explain).

The thing is, I don't know if its the onboard video that's acting up (and subsequently the mobo) or the CPU and I don't have any way of actually checking (no spare mobo, no spare CPU). Is there any way to see as to whats broken? I figured if it were the CPU, it wouldnt get that far into bootup (it gets through the BIOS and into Windows), next, would adding a video card making things right? Any insight would be appreciated. :)

Try using a video card wouldn't hurt.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

See, if it were video, would I be able to see the bios and startup, etc? It's the second it hits windows that I get an issue.

See, if it were video, would I be able to see the bios and startup, etc? It's the second it hits windows that I get an issue.

Wait wait, you didn't mention that in your OP. If you're getting no video the second Windows starts loading. it could be a windows issue.

Is there any way you can be a bit more precise or show us what those "lines" are?

if its dying at windows.. its either windows or a driver issue.. depending on what onboard video you are using.. nvidia or ATI.. try going into safe mode and removing the drivers.. then reboot into windows and see if the problem goes away since you will be running generic windows drivers instead of the drivers you installed.. if you cant boot into safe mode at all.. then its probably time for a format and reinstall..

Booted into safe mode and was able to uninstall the driver. Rebooted into Windows and it started installing the driver. Everything went dandy til about 3 or 4 minutes in when the screen corrupted again. Restarted and after a few minutes, the screen went blank. I'm currently running a Windows Memory Diagnostic test and the screen has stayed for the entire time - so I'm inclined to agree its a Windows problem and not a GPU problem.

Let me try booting into safemode and seeing how long it lasts there.

EDIT: Booted directly into safemode after the memory diagnostic test and the screen was corrupted again. I'll see if I can snag a video card for cheap and put that in...

Last edited:
Back