Power Supply for Now and Later

I'm looking for advice on finding a power supply that will tide my current system over for a while until I upgrade in the semi-near future. Right now im using a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 560watt active pfc. (Yes I know now that Thermaltake isn't the best choice I could have made). Recently It hasnt been putting out correct 12v+ levels. Its been putting out 11.25v+. Surprisingly, it has been pretty stable, except I have problems with my CCFL's when I try to turn them off. ANYWAY... in the future I plan to move over to Socket 939 and PCI-Express. Whats a good PSU that will be great for the future system but will still be compatible with the stuff I have now (see sig for current system).

Note: I am not a big overclocker. Mainly just video cards. Right now the motherboard I have uses a 24 pin power connection. I would prefer a black PSU with sleeved cables.

I was looking at some PC Power and Cooling, but the ones I like have 20-pin power connectors instead of the 24 that I need right now. I dunno...maybe you guys have some input.

get a 20-24 pin converter and voila

I believe ive seen one somewhere

Cousin Patty said:
I'm looking for advice on finding a power supply that will tide my current system over for a while until I upgrade in the semi-near future. Right now im using a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 560watt active pfc. (Yes I know now that Thermaltake isn't the best choice I could have made). Recently It hasnt been putting out correct 12v+ levels. Its been putting out 11.25v+.

How do you know? Is this a multimeter or a software reading?

Surprisingly, it has been pretty stable, except I have problems with my CCFL's when I try to turn them off.

Hmmm.....such as? THe inverters on the CCFL's aren't helping your 12v any as far as cleanliness goes...........speaking of which..jonnyGURU how did that trip to Target go?

ANYWAY... in the future I plan to move over to Socket 939 and PCI-Express. Whats a good PSU that will be great for the future system but will still be compatible with the stuff I have now (see sig for current system).

Note: I am not a big overclocker. Mainly just video cards. Right now the motherboard I have uses a 24 pin power connection. I would prefer a black PSU with sleeved cables.

I was looking at some PC Power and Cooling, but the ones I like have 20-pin power connectors instead of the 24 that I need right now. I dunno...maybe you guys have some input.

Then get a 24pin native ATX12v2.0 PSU. The adapter referenced above DOES work but it does add some resistance (most obvious on the 3.3v). What is your budget?

Spectre said:
.....speaking of which..jonnyGURU how did that trip to Target go?

Rained out. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend. :D

I used Everest to check the voltages.

The problem Im having with the CCFL's is that whenever I turn the light off, my computer locks up. I already made a post about this in the Case Modding page. So far Ive used two different inverters and 2 different lights with the same problem. Somebody suggested I check the voltages. So I checked them with Everest and the 12v+ is only putting out 11.25v+.

I dont really mind spending 200 bucks on the 510watt Pc Power and Cooling if its really badass and Ill have it for a while. I guess what Im asking is whether or not its woth it to get a Pc Power and Cooling with the 20pin power plug and use a 24pin adapter temporarily until I upgrade. If the adapter isnt gonna be a problem for the system I have now then thats cool. I can just stop using the adapter whenever I upgrade.

Cousin Patty said:
I used Everest to check the voltages.

The problem Im having with the CCFL's is that whenever I turn the light off, my computer locks up. I already made a post about this in the Case Modding page. So far Ive used two different inverters and 2 different lights with the same problem. Somebody suggested I check the voltages. So I checked them with Everest and the 12v+ is only putting out 11.25v+.

I COULD spend 200 bucks on the 510watt Pc Power and Cooling. But Im kind of reluctant. I feel more comfortable spending like 150 or less.

CC inverters SUCK!!!!

Is the voltage 11.25V when the CC's are OFF?

Do you have the inverters plugged into power leads that also go to other devices? For example: Do they go to a drive, then an inverter?

yeah i get the same voltage with the light off. I dont know, Id have to check how I have the inverter chained up. I THINK its just being chained with a slot blower I have. I could be wrong. Like I said Ill have to see exactly whats connected to what. Lets say that the Inverter does happen to be in line with something else like a HD or something. Could that be a possible cause for the low voltage? Id like to avoid having to buy a whole new PSU if at all possible. Ive said it before in my other post and ill say it again...until I started having problems with my CCFL, this PSU has been pretty damn solid.

If the inverter is hooked up to the same power lead as a drive, then the drive can lock up. If the drive locks up, the PC locks up.

Also, the voltage is low, but don't trust Everest. You really need to stick a DMM probe in a lead and get a reading.

If it WAS that low, I'd actually double check the ATX connector in the board and make sure it's jammed into the board's connector all of the way.

Yeah I understand that. But is the voltage low because the inverter could be chained with other devices? Or is the CCFL causing the comp to lock up because the voltages are low. Its sort of a chicken and egg type thing.

Cousin Patty said:
Yeah I understand that. But is the voltage low because the inverter could be chained with other devices? Or is the CCFL causing the comp to lock up because the voltages are low. Its sort of a chicken and egg type thing.

Read my edit.

The Inverters cause serious drops and surges when they're turned on and off. I've had CCFL's lock up PC's w/ perfectly good PSU's.

Ok well see now that makes more sense. I didnt know that CCFLs did that. Interesting. Ill just have to connect that inverter to its own power lead for testing purposes and see what happens. Ill also check the power going into the board. I was messing with that the other day as a matter of fact, could not be in right. Is there any other reliable way to get the true voltages of the PSU without using a multimeter? I dont have one and also dont know how to use one. heh heh.

Cousin Patty said:
Is there any other reliable way to get the true voltages of the PSU without using a multimeter?

No.

Back