pentium d underclock

kyosho1

Weaksauce
ok so im kinda not ok with my cpu temp, (50c idle). i was thinking about underclocking. should i do it? mabye disabling speed-step?

Pentium D 830 @ 3GHz w/ CM hyper 212

Undervolt instead. Will get you even cooler if you get a very low stable undervolt. From there, underclock to taste (if you're not satisfied) and then you'll be able to undervolt even further.

mabye disabling speed-step?

Speed step makes it cooler not hotter. Without speed step I expect your temps to be higher. Although the cpu fan may just kick in and speed up to compensate. You can disable the fan speed control so that the cpu fan spins at full speed all the time. This will make the cpu cooler at idle but may make a lot of noise depending on your fan..

One of the things of the temp controlled fan is it generally makes the cpu hotter.

My temp with stock fan on my Q9550 @ 1.04V and 2.0GHz was 50 to 55C at idle with the automatic speed cpu fan enabled. I was a little worried (for future overclocking) so I replaced the stock fan with and AC freezer pro and the idle and full load temp went down by about 20C each. And the idle temp is with the fan running at ~870 RPM. Before everyone tells me the AC Freezer pro is crap, I bought that because I did not want to remove the motherboard again to install some bracket to hold some fancier cooler.

Last edited:
If the temps are still bad with a full speed fan. make sure you have good heat sink contact with the cpu. Also make sure you did not put too much heat sink compound. Too much (more than a pea sized amount) is just as bad as too little.

i have good contact, new paste, and the fan control is off. my fans at full, makes it 50c idle. (i am caseless)

If your board supports new CPUs, I'd get the new Celeron e3200. I know that not what you're asking but its a good performance upgrade and cooler for only $40.

i have good contact, new paste, and the fan control is off. my fans at full, makes it 50c idle. (i am caseless)

This could be an inaccurate temp sensor.

i have an intel bad axe II, and i just added another fan to my heatsink so its pull/pull/push. it decreased my temp by 5c. i idle at 41/43 now.

Back