CPU: Intel i7-930
MOBO: Asus Rampage II Gene with latest BIOS 1307
GPU: XFX 5850 1GB
SSD: OCZ Agility 60GB (1.6 firmware)
HDD: Samsung F3 2TB, WD 640AAKS (2)
RAM: 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI
PSU: Seasonic X-650
HSF: Corsair H50 with two Scythe GTs (1450rpm) in push/pull configuration
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry LX (controls the push fan, fan in front of HDDs, and two fans at the top for exhaust)

All the settings are on stock and I have only manually set the CPU and Memory voltage.

As for the hard freezing problem, my computer hard freezes whenever I watch a flash video (i.e. sports highlights on espn or youtube videos) with and without hardware acceleration enabled. Moreover, it also hard freezes whenever I'm using MediaMonkey and I add 'Add/Rescan tracks to the library.' It may or may not have hard froze doing another activity. At any time it hard freezes, I'm not doing anything very computer intensive as I'm mainly web browsing, listening to music, or watching movies/tv shows.

I have run Memtest86+ 4.10 for each individual stick and all together and MemTest HCI 4.0 without any errors occurring. Moreover, I've run OCCT and Intel Burn Test without any problems. S.M.A.R.T. status for the SSD (though down to 92% health according to CrystalDiskInfo) and hard drives are good; I've also run HD Tune Full Error Scans on the SSD and HDs and the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics from WD. I have cleared the CMOS and updated the SSD firmware to 1.6 (The problem still occurred before the firmware update). Additionally, I installed the OS on another hard drive and the hard freezing still occurred (happened within five seconds of watching a youtube video) which would rule out the SSD. The motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics so I couldn't test it without a GPU. I haven't tried out another PSU or GPU; I really wish I tested it out using my brother's Corsair 650TX and VisionTek 4850 when I put that together. I have also tried putting the GPU in each PCI-E slot to no avail. I've also done a fresh install.

The Seasonic also happened to be my first modular PSU but I'm fairly certain I put in the right connectors properly into the motherboard and the hardware components. Just to be sure, I've got the ATX 24P/20P in the slots where the #1 is in the picture below (It's supposed to be split up like that). The EPS12V 8P where #2 is. The PCI-E 6P/8P where #3 is, one of the sata connectors where #4 is with the three HDs connected to it, one of the sata connectors where #5 is with the SSD connected to it, and one of the molex connectors where #6 is with the fan controller connected to it.
a9pkyr.png

So I'm assuming it's down to the PSU, MOBO, or GPU? Heck, my computer just hard froze while I was saving the picture file with the changes I put on it.

Got any solutions? I could use them :X.

Thanks.

Last edited:
My money is on the motherboard. PSU layout seems fine.

My money is on the motherboard. PSU layout seems fine.

Call up ASUS.

Hmm EFFF. Not what I wanted to hear :X. And haha @ the picture. Man, if its a RMA for the motherboard, that's about 3 weeks (time to ship there, RMA process, and shipping back) without use of the PC; I've already RMAed an Asus P5Q before with them in mid July hence why I say 3 weeks.

Thanks for your input fellas.

Edit: I forgot to mention that The 'Add/Rescan tracks to the library' works perfectly fine in safe mode. Does that make much of a difference?

Last edited:
Back