Palit pulls out of video card business

• Thread starter Deleted member 93354
  • Start date
There's a little more venom in that post than just because they were second tier. "Jackass" is generally reserved for someone who's done something to you.

There's a little more venom in that post than just because they were second tier. "Jackass" is generally reserved for someone who's done something to you.

Well I don't know why Kyle may have an issue with them but I know that their customer service BLOWS. The worst I've ever experienced.

This seemed to have been coming for a long time. There was alot of talk about them quietly exiting the scene, but it seems more people noticed than they thought.

So what exactly is the cause of the vitriol against Gainward/Palit? It is what it is, another one of the classic Taiwanese companies that didn't get with the times in getting some North American representation and proper support like XFX (Pine Group) did. I'd lump MSI in the middle of those as also being a sometimes joke.

Will the market even miss yet another buy-an-oem-card-and-slap-a-sticker-on-it vendor? :p

Will the market even miss yet another buy-an-oem-card-and-slap-a-sticker-on-it vendor? :p
This is an oem card with a new sticker on it?
imageviewphp.jpg

Almost every one of their cards had custom cooling and a custom/modified PCB.

They made some good stuff. Upgraded cooling. Not just reference boards or anything.

So what exactly is the cause of the vitriol against Gainward/Palit? It is what it is, another one of the classic Taiwanese companies that didn't get with the times in getting some North American representation and proper support like XFX (Pine Group) did. I'd lump MSI in the middle of those as also being a sometimes joke.

MSI is more than a "sometimes joke" -- they're straight pathetic. I will never buy another one of their products, be it graphics card or motherboard. Never. Every MSI product I've had in the last 5 years or so has been trash, with the absolute worst support I've ever experienced.

They've been around a long time as a company. They started trying to pry their way into the US/North America market since last summer, maybe a little earlier.

From everything I read, their cards are top notch. Too bad their company wasn't up to the same standard.

They've been around a long time as a company. They started trying to pry their way into the US/North America market since last summer, maybe a little earlier.

They'd been around here for at least 7 years. I had a Daytona GeForce 4 MX 440 in my spare PC for a while a long, long time ago. It was a mediocre card - no real overclocking headroom, and it was a GF4 MX, after all... but I never had a problem with it.

They may have just tried to "re-invent" themselves in the market in the past year or so in some sort of attempt to grab market share and make themselves look like a nippy up-and-comer or something, but they have been in the North American market for a lot longer than a year.

Reviews of their cards that I read were good. Some of their community members posted in other forums and they were hilarious. I see though their RMA address is in Hong Kong. That would suck to have to mail there!

Video card manufacturers need to stop taking so much unnecessary risk.

Look at eVGA. They generally stick to reference design.

Gigabyte is well established and they're talking about introducing extra copper into their PCBs and calling it part of their Ultra-Durable line. That sounds neat.

It really only makes sense to re-design the cards if it can be done at the same or lower overall manufacturer cost. It also must be noted that often aftermarket Cooling cannot be used on these custom designs, and thus they must supply the cooler.

They also need to stop making STUPID cards... I personally think the 4870 2GB is stupid. I think an 8800gt 1GB is dumb if released late in the game, an 8600gt 1gb is even more retarded. I'm sure I've seen worse examples than this.

meh... I liked Palit and their stupid frog (it was stupid, but at least I remembered that about them).

PALiT offered upgraded cooling and tweaked boards and still kept the prices competitive.

Kyle and friends have shown a love of being Drama Queens at times over the years :D

It's good for business ;)

Kinda like you have an affinity for wearing women's underwear? And you are calling us queens? :p

Palit's PR team was a bunch of idiotic jackasses. For some reason they thought they could control what we said and when we said it. I basically told them to stuff it up their asses and they would never see another Palit review on [H] ever again. I kept my end of the bargain. That was in late June of 2008.

I've got one of their Geforce 4 ti4200 64MB cards out in the garage. The cooling fan shit the bed about 6 months into owning it, so I ended up slapping a thermaltake cooling fan on it instead of sending it to Hong Kong for repair/ replacement.

"Pelit" in Indonesian (almost pronounced the like "Palit" in English) means cheap, as in a miser/Scrooge.

Funny.

There is a guy who works for Palit US on the techPowerUp! forums (named "Palit Guy" oddly enough) that is very helpful with getting folk's RMA questions answered and situations resolved. He's very well liked there.

"Palit pulls out of video card business"

...and nothing of value was lost.

I really liked the Palit people. They were very supportive of PDXLAN and were trying to get a foothold in the US market. David Makin especially is a really cool guy. I hope he ends up with another gaming-related company that does business US and A. Kyle you normally seem like a level (and cool) headed guy. Not sure why you had to use such strong wording on your front page. You don't see Fugger at Xtremesystems doing that . . . .you really have a great site here and should elevate yourself and maintain your high level of professionalism.

337195672_BmDKD-L-4.jpg

PALiT offered upgraded cooling and tweaked boards and still kept the prices competitive.

Yea maybe they did because I've considered their cards in the past (and I wouldn't consider buying anything overpriced).

However I'm wondering what the relative cost was (to them)? Profit margins may not have been as high as a result.

Back