One PC causing Lag on network

Koslov

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm using cable (7.5Mbps) w/ unlimited bandwidth . I have 2 wired PC on the network and 4 PCs connected via wireless. My current router is a Netgear WND3400 but I had a Linksys WRT160n v3 previously. I just bought the Netgear today to try to fix my problem but it doesn't seem to help.

My problem is that I've been getting very high ping in games (PC) and also on my PS3 like > 400ms over the past month but only after like 9:30pm or so. During the day it's always smooth. I called my ISP and they told me everything was fine from their end and the modem too.

To make a long story short, would it be possible that 1 PC on the network makes the other PCs lag even if that PC isn't downloading or using any bandwidth at all? I did some tests today, like: I open CMD and type: ping -t www.google.com and I get like 6ms but when that particular PC is powered on, the ping increases to > 400ms

Maybe virus/spyware in the background, nothing is on auto start (like bittorrent)

ctrl-alt-del, see what processes are running. you can try to clean things up, or it might be easier to back up your data and reformat the computer. This all assumes there is nothing important on it. It is easier to reinstall windows @ 1/2 hour than to muck around with various fixes.

sounds like that machine is causing some sort of routing issue. Virus/ proxy with built in DNS redirect etc.

Try manually assigning the IP address, subnet, gateway and DNS on the machine that you want to have low pings on.

The remove the static DNS setting.....retest

Remove the gateway .....retest

Finally remove the Static IP...and retest.

use something like TCPView on the culprit-machine to see what is using up bandwidth.

Just having the machine powered on wouldn't cause those issues; it would have to be actually doing something.

Mackintire's suggestion would work well. Then use TCPView to find the culprit if the issue does not persist when the machine has no default gateway configured.

With this happening only after 9:30 i would say its the biggest flaw in cable internet (DSL has it too) and that is when everyone around you connects to the internet and demands high bandwidth the neighborhood network infrastructure cant keep up. this would cause a lagging problem leading to a very high ping. i had the same problem where i last lived (but it was DSL) and around 9:00 to 9:30 the internet would just cut down to very low speeds. there really is no fix to it on your side, sorry.

With this happening only after 9:30 i would say its the biggest flaw in cable internet (DSL has it too) and that is when everyone around you connects to the internet and demands high bandwidth the neighborhood network infrastructure cant keep up. this would cause a lagging problem leading to a very high ping. i had the same problem where i last lived (but it was DSL) and around 9:00 to 9:30 the internet would just cut down to very low speeds. there really is no fix to it on your side, sorry.

I thought so too, but when I did the ping test today it was at 10am in the morning when I usually never lag. PC on full lag, PC off fine = conclusion PC problem. Also what I didn't mention was that this person always come home around that time too so...

I'm gonna give try what Mackintire said

I'm not certain how you would check for it (don't think your routers are capable), but you need to see how many sessions are being created by that system. When I was running an ISP for about 200 customers our number one issue was infected/slaved systems opening so many sessions they would kill the router. Your router can only handle, say, 5000 sessions (yes, I pulled that out of my ass). If your one PC is opening 4900 of them then you will have issues. Our gateway would show us the sessions. In most of our cases the problem system wasn't passing much traffic...it was just opening a huge number of sessions and killing the gateway.

Back