OEM Conroe based Celeron 420 for $40

I see now...I edited it to say 512kb of cache. I sure wish it had 512mb of cache :D

These things probably overclock like mad.

I have to wonder though, at stock speeds, would something like this 1.6ghz Celeron be faster than a 3ghz Celeron-D?

These things probably overclock like mad.

I have to wonder though, at stock speeds, would something like this 1.6ghz Celeron be faster than a 3ghz Celeron-D?

If you overclocked both of them to their max then the 1.6ghz one would thrash the D.

Im willing to bet at stock it will be a good bit faster than a 3GHz celeron D

Im willing to bet at stock it will be a good bit faster than a 3GHz celeron D
Judging by that xbit article above, it appears you're right. Amazing that the core architecture can overcome such a huge clock speed disadvantage. Their 2.0ghz Celeron 440 capped out at 3ghz, which isn't bad for a budget CPU. For single core apps, this would be a great CPU. For multi threaded apps, a Pentium would be better.

Judging by that xbit article above, it appears you're right. Amazing that the core architecture can overcome such a huge clock speed disadvantage. Their 2.0ghz Celeron 440 capped out at 3ghz, which isn't bad for a budget CPU. For single core apps, this would be a great CPU. For multi threaded apps, a Pentium would be better.

well core is amazing arc. wise compared to netburst. I know in games core2 performs 2x better (and sometimes closer to 2.5x) than netburst clock for clock.

Big word of caution boys & girls.

I'm currently running one of these. Yes, it does like to overclock. But it has, compared to current tech, limitations that overclocking cannot overcome. Keep these in mind if you're seriously considering plunking $40 + cooler on one of these.

1. 2way assoc L2 cache.
  2. single core
  3. upcoming celeron refresh will be multi-core

The only reason I'm running this is because I got it for free, and am using it to hold me by while waiting for a verified G0 quad. I went from my B3 Q6600 to this so, yeah, not a very good comparison for the 420. But IMHO it isn't at all worth $40 when you can get a dual core E2160 for under $100. Seriously, save your cash.

Big word of caution boys & girls.

I'm currently running one of these. Yes, it does like to overclock. But it has, compared to current tech, limitations that overclocking cannot overcome. Keep these in mind if you're seriously considering plunking $40 + cooler on one of these.

1. 2way assoc L2 cache.
  2. single core
  3. upcoming celeron refresh will be multi-core

The only reason I'm running this is because I got it for free, and am using it to hold me by while waiting for a verified G0 quad. I went from my B3 Q6600 to this so, yeah, not a very good comparison for the 420. But IMHO it isn't at all worth $40 when you can get a dual core E2160 for under $100. Seriously, save your cash.

2 way assoc L2 cache vs. what? 16 way on the full allendales/conroes etc?

you gotta link of the celery multi cores?

And what's going to happen to that poor abused celery once it gets ousted :cry:

I could be wrong on the supposed next-gen dual-core celeries. So many numbers flying around these days that I may have misread the information and am actually thinking of the e2xxx series procs. Which, at pricing under $100, is worth the price difference.

Everything is going multi-core these days. I simply recommend that people consider the bang/buck here before jumping on a single core proc in 2007.

As far as where this little 420 will go next. I'll happily send it on to you caveman-jim. No charge. :)

I could be wrong on the supposed next-gen dual-core celeries. So many numbers flying around these days that I may have misread the information and am actually thinking of the e2xxx series procs. Which, at pricing under $100, is worth the price difference.

Everything is going multi-core these days. I simply recommend that people consider the bang/buck here before jumping on a single core proc in 2007.

As far as where this little 420 will go next. I'll happily send it on to you caveman-jim. No charge. :)

Woohoo! Who says there's no hot deals @ H!

wow....

"Pentium Dual Cores" are way more related to the C2D E4000's than any of the pentiums as they're just allendales with half the L2 disabled.

bought one for a friends rig.

now this O.O

these are clock for clock very similar to the Athlon 64s...

there was an xtremesystems thread that pitted one of these against an FX-57...

2.8ghz vs 2.8ghz... the celeron won in almost every test...

i bought one actually, set the FSB to 333 and now its running 2666mhz on my DS3... it still runs cool enough that the CPU fan only kicks on half of the time, if i put a small fan on the north bridge of the DS3, it cools the CPU enough so that on idle, the CPU fan never even kicks on...

i let orthos run 24 hours with just the fan on the northbridge (i unplugged the CPU fan) blowing across the northbridge and part of the cpu heatsink

completely stable at 2666mhz just a bit of airflow from a fan on the NB

anyone nkow what the tdp is ?

I'd like to use this for an asterisk srever with an k8n890m ecs board.

Anyone know if it would work? My pentium-d 805 is overheating. It is about 85-90 in my apartment (just moved in, no AC, chicago summer).

Edit: After reading the review above, the TDP is 35W. The 805 TDP is 95W. I think we have a winner :)

Back