No onboard video with MSI 890GXM-G65

WiLLiSTER

2[H]4U
In the bios under advanced options, on-chip vga is disabled and I can't find a way to enable it. Default video out is set to internal, but I'm guessing since the previous is disabled, this doesn't matter. This is on the latest bios, 1.6. Also, MSI's system drivers don't have anything regarding on board video for some reason. The separate HDMI audio driver won't install either due to it not finding any hardware that needs it. Currently using a card in the pci-e for video but would like to use the onboard hdmi to connect to the stereo from time to time. Only thing I haven't tried doing so far is resetting the cmos since then I'd have to take out the board, remove my Ultra 120, swap my X2 back in, flash, uninstall x2 and ultra 120, and then reinstall everything... Leaving that as a last resort.

If I can't figure this out I'll just sell this board and buy another gigabyte or asus board...

Edit: Sigh. I got impatient and tried loading fail safe drivers. My hard drives stopped showing up in bios. Letting it try to start will get up to the "Starting Windows" screen then bsod too fast to read any of it. Guess I'll be resetting everything tonight... I'll report back if on-chip vga is still disabled afterward.

Last edited:
If i were you, i 'd remove the descrete VGA and see if it boots normally. This reminds a bit of an Asrock 790GX board that i had ordered. Everything was working, except for the onboard video. It was giving no signal to the monitor. Fans were spinning, hard disk leds were flashing, but no video signal.

I sent it back to the shop i had bought it and it was accepted in RMA as defective. They sent me a new board after 1 month.

Reset the bios and back to 1.6 No changes. I took out the graphics card and hooked up via onboard vga and it gave me 3 or 4 short beeps. As I recall that should be something to do with the video. Sigh... I suppose I'll go see if Fry's has any more so I can exchange this one...

if you have a graphic card install it automatically disables the onboard video.. also another thing you could check is what displays set to load first.. sometimes it has an option for on board video first then pci-e.. see if that helps..

Well, like I said, I pulled the graphics card out and hooked it up via the onboard vga, but instead of getting a post screen and a single beep, I had no video and 3 or 4 short beeps. I think that meant something was wrong with the video, but I'll double check. Also, it's set in the bios to run from the internal (onboard) first, with the other options being pci and pci-e. I do believe there's something wrong with the board though since catalyst won't recognize that there's anything to install a display driver for and the HDMI audio driver doesn't recognize anything to install a driver for either.

Well, like I said, I pulled the graphics card out and hooked it up via the onboard vga, but instead of getting a post screen and a single beep, I had no video and 3 or 4 short beeps..

That's pretty much the situation i 've had with mine. Dead onboard VGA chipset. It was actually the most common "DOA" issue with Asrock 790gx boards in forums, since they 're quite popular in Europe and i 've read many users opinions. Many people were puzzled because everything else seemed working. Normally one expects a board to be dead, as in "not powering on". But that wasn't the case with the 790s. Maybe there is the same issue in 890s... And not exclusively an Asrock problem.

Last edited:
I pulled the video card again today to try and figure things out. Not sure what I was thinking/heard before, but my post beeps are 2 short pause 8 short. This is an AMI bios so 2 short are memory parity error in the first 64kb and 8 beeps is the display memory read/write error.

Now, is/could the parity error be related to the rom hosting the bios or something, because I ran memtest a few times and had 0 errors after a few passes. Either way I'm figuring I'll be rma'ing to msi, but I'd like to know what this means before I do anything.

I have not yet. I put it up for sale to see if anyone would want it to save me the hassle of rma'ing. If I don't get any offers after my finals this week I'll be sending it in.

I've just realize that the serial number on mine is on the carton box, not on the motherboard itself. Could you confirm this?

I know that there was one on the box because I sent that in with the rebate. I'll check out the mobo and see if there's one on there.

Back