New Computer Build NOT Working

I just got all my stuff for my computer build. Here's the specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D
Video Card: EVGA Nvidia GTX 260
RAM: 8 GB OCZ Gold
Processor: Intel i7 Quad
PSU: 750W Antec

Everything seems to turn on (CPU, HDD, PSU, MOBO) except for the video card. I can feel the video card heat up but the fan does not spin. Also, the DVD drive does not open. But when I unplug the DVD drive from the motherboard and still how power going to it, it opens fine. I tried the same thing with the video card but it still did not spin.

My other dilemma is that my motherboard does not have an on-board video card. So once the video card gets going, I have no way of getting anything on the screen until I install the video card, correct? Or should I be able to get something without installing the driver?

Thanks,
J.J.

Yeah that's what I'm assuming too. But if it were to work, how would i get a signal to go to my monitor?

Yeah that's what I'm assuming too. But if it were to work, how would i get a signal to go to my monitor?

You wouldn't have to do a single thing. The working video card will output automatically to the monitor. No drivers are needed for the BIOs setup and the initial boot. You would need video card drivers once you're in the OS.

Also, the DVD drive does not open. But when I unplug the DVD drive from the motherboard and still how power going to it, it opens fine. I tried the same thing with the video card but it still did not spin.

What do you mean you did the same thing with the video card? You disconnected it while it was running?

Also check the stickied "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" for what to do when the system does not POST.

Yeah, I disconnected the video card from the mobo but still had the power going to it and it still did nothing.

FYI: YOU NEVER DISCONNECT THE VIDEO CARD WHILE THE PC IS STILL ON AS IT MAY CAUSE MAJOR DAMAEGE.

Assuming the video card still works, again, hit up the stickied Basic Troubleshooting Guide on what to do when the system doesn't POST.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yeah, I disconnected the video card from the mobo but still had the power going to it and it still did nothing.

well good chance you fried the motherboard, video card, or both. and possibly the dvd drive too. when a system does not post, its usually just something simple that needs to be reseated or something is grounded when it should not be (like if your motherboard is touching the back of the case and not a stand off).

Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I think he means he had the card out of the mobo but still connected to the PSU and turned it on, which as far as I know is fine (if not meaningless).

If the fan doesn't spin by default then the card is bad I'm sure.

Double check you are using the proper power connectors to power the video card, I guess.

I think he means he had the card out of the mobo but still connected to the PSU and turned it on, which as far as I know is fine (if not meaningless).

Hopefully, thats what he meant. If not, then lesson learned, lol.

Yah, the fan should be spinning within a few seconds of powering on the system. If not, its likely defective, but just check the connectors siggy mentioned. If they were the right connectors, then its RMA time! Though, you could also try another PSU.

Back