New Case from Lian Li - the PC-9F

Here is mine. For better airflow I use a harddrive cage from another Lian Li chassis. (Specs in my signature)
Inuti1.jpg

Not final wiring yet, just for a testrun

Inuti3.jpg

3x 120mm Scythe fans and on top a Lian Li 140mm

Klar1.jpg

The final build with GTX580, sorry for the perspective

[Images are linked from my gallery at www.sweclockers.com]

Last edited:
Got this case a couple of weeks ago for my Sandy Bridge build. My first Lian Li case (previously had an Antec P180). Love this case!

Airflow seems really good (I have not installed a top fan). CPU temps around 35c under load (no overclocking yet). The case was really easy to work with, no sharp edges etc. Doesn't come with any 2.5" mounts for SSD, so if that is your thing you will need to buy a 3.5" bracket. Not as quiet as my Antec, but by no means loud either. Case seems sturdy, and no noise from vibrations or anything like that. I actually really like the toolless hdd mount, but I know some people mentioned they did not. Nice having the USB3 ports on the front (even if I don't have any USB3 devices yet). Not a huge fan of the ports on the top, would prefer them on the front, but that is just a minor thing.

If you can't tell already, I highly recommend this case.

Has anyone actually ordered this case from provantage? Were there any issues? If not where are folks obtaining them ?

Has anyone actually ordered this case from provantage? Were there any issues? If not where are folks obtaining them ?

I ordered one through Provantage.com, but it's on backorder. I'll post an update once I get a status update from them. It is much cheaper than anywhere else including shipping.

Order Status: IN PROGRESS

Your order has been placed with one of our suppliers who will ship it directly to you.
Note: Your order has been forwarded to a regional warehouse for processing. We will issue an invoice once we have confirmation.

Last edited:

I placed the order Saturday. Right now the status is "In Progress" and that they have placed the order for the case to their suppliers.

I'm not seeing a back order status like the guy above me though. It is a shame that Provantage doesn't carry the case themselves but orders straight from the supplier, but IMO it's worth the wait when I'm paying about $50 LESS than newegg. I'll post again if I get any sort of update.

What are some good 120mm fans for this case? I was thinking Gentle Typhoon or Noctua.

How do the fans connect to the power source?

The motherboard I am getting Asus P8P67 Deluxe has 2 x 3-pin and 2 x 4-pin fan headers. I am confused, do the fans plug into the power supply or the motherboard?

(My current workstation has 6 x 4-pin PWM connectors for all fans.)

My PC:

http://i.imgur.com/NvCIy.jpg

NvCIy.jpg

Intel i7 2600K
P8P67 Deluxe
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B
Corsair AX850
8GB PNY 1333MHz
GTX570
Intel 160GB SSD
16X DVD-RW
Arctic Cooling F12 on heatsink and exhaust
2 stock Lian Li fans for intake (will replace soon)

I don't know how to route the other 8-pin cable from the PS to the mobo...

Go along the back, up against the PCI / PCIe slot covers, pressed to the board. There should be enough of a gap that you can route it under the card without interfering with anything. Looks like you have just enough slack, too.

If you're feeling like a perfectionist, pull the back fan and turn it so you can hide the ugly unsleeved wiring better, and zip / twist tie the SATA and power cables to the HDD rack on the right to clean them up a little.

Ultra wide; when did your case arrive? I ordered from Provantage Jan 26 and am still waiting :( Waiting isn't a huge issue right now as SB was recalled before I purchased the MB but when they are back on market i will probably build...

Also any comments on the case?

Ultra wide; when did your case arrive? I ordered from Provantage Jan 26 and am still waiting :( Waiting isn't a huge issue right now as SB was recalled before I purchased the MB but when they are back on market i will probably build...

Also any comments on the case?

Got tired of waiting and just bought it from newegg.com, it arrived in 2 days.

The case is very light, surprisingly light actually. I was very careful when working with it as I was afraid to bend it or damage it. I remember reading one member saying this cas felt "flimsy" and I do agree with him. I was checking out the Corsair 700D at Microcenter and that case is built like a tank, my own ThinkStation is also levels stronger. But, it's just the way aluminum of this thickness is, just be careful with it. The fans included with this case are just crap. I have some Gentle Typhoon AP-14s on order to replace the front fans. I replaced the rear with an Arctic Cooling F12 for the moment so I could use the PWM function.

I like the tool-less design, although I must say it is inferior to my ThinkStation D20's ease of use. The 5.25" drive bay design is very good, the 3.5" bays are okay, but not that stellar. I am at a loss that there are no 2.5" bays or adapters. It is 2011 and SSDs have been out for over 12 months.

The case internals are nice and smooth except for the cable routing holes which are a little bit sharp and not sanded down. Cable management on this case is just excellent. After I spent some time planning and organizing my cabling, I realized just how fantastic and easy it is to get excellent looks and superior air flow. I had initially removed the 3.5" bay tower, but noticed that GTX570's temps were no different so I just put it back.

The top panel USB and buttons are actually very clever and make it much easier to use. Although, I dislike the super bright blue LED for power and red LED reset button that doubles as a HDD activity indicator. But these are minor annoyances and it's just me being picky.

Overall I chose this case because it was one of the few that does not look like it was built for a child. I am at an age where acrylic windows and LEDs are actually annoying, I value silence more than anything. I like this case's straight and simple lines along with the cooling capabilities.

Hum. Bit disappointed on the build (flimsy). I have an earlier lian case (pc-60 plus) that only cost around $110 and it is reasonable thickness and does not feel flimsy at all.
-
Question if I cancel what alternative. Either silver or black is fine but I prefer the simple square off look and a midtower (definitely not a full tower or steel).

Maybe a lanboy 7; it is not full aluminum but at least it has quality fans.

Last edited:
Hum. Bit disappointed on the build (flimsy). I have an earlier lian case (pc-60 plus) that only cost around $110 and it is reasonable thickness and does not feel flimsy at all.
-
Question if I cancel what alternative. Either silver or black is fine but I prefer the simple square off look and a midtower (definitely not a full tower or steel).

Maybe a lanboy 7; it is not full aluminum but at least it has quality fans.

There isn't too much out there really if you want aluminum... (I am keeping an eye out for the Corsair 650D, I think the thicker steel also muffles fan noise better)

My 9F has one annoying 'feature'. When I plug in the headphones in the top jack, sometimes it will reset the machine. If I am *very* careful and spin the plug as I am plugging it in, i.e. very slowly and cautious, then it is ok. It seems a very tight fit and I have to push fairly hard to get it to plug in. Anyone else experienced this?

My 9F has one annoying 'feature'. When I plug in the headphones in the top jack, sometimes it will reset the machine. If I am *very* careful and spin the plug as I am plugging it in, i.e. very slowly and cautious, then it is ok. It seems a very tight fit and I have to push fairly hard to get it to plug in. Anyone else experienced this?

I haven't heard of it, but it sounds like bad grounding. Perhaps try to unscrew the I/O panel from the top cover and put it back?

Didn't read this whole thread, but is there enough room in this case for a 5870? The current Lian-Li I have does not have adequate room and I have to remove the harddrive rack in order to fit it. I now would like to expand my storage so I need another solution.

Was curious what the measurement was from the harddrives to the back of the case.

Thanks!

Didn't read this whole thread, but is there enough room in this case for a 5870? The current Lian-Li I have does not have adequate room and I have to remove the harddrive rack in order to fit it. I now would like to expand my storage so I need another solution.

Was curious what the measurement was from the harddrives to the back of the case.

Thanks!

Official measurement from their site is 285mm http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/pc-9f/flyer.html

I just measured with a ruler and from the hdd cage to the pci brackets i get 11.4" = 289mm.

They will not fit on the front. The front only has enough clearance for 2 x 120mm square fans.

The pics on the Lian Li site show a decent sized gap all around the fans. I don't have the case to measure, but it looks to me like it might fit.

pc9f.jpg

The pics on the Lian Li site show a decent sized gap all around the fans. I don't have the case to measure, but it looks to me like it might fit.

http://members.westnet.com.au/crimsonfury/images/pc/pc9f.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Thermalright website has very accurate dimensions for that 140mm fan. I made an accurate cutout of the fan and there is enough space on the sides, but the top and bottom fans will be touching. If I was to shave a millimeter or two off the top and bottom of the plastic it should fit.

I don't really care for it anymore since I just got scythe s-flex all around. My case is also stripped and getting ready to be painted :D

Why did you replace the stock fans? I ordered this case from provantage and in theory it will arrive tomorrow. Of course I still have to wait for SB motheboards to become available but should i be picking up some fans?

I guess I can go ahead and screw the PSU in place as well as the drives.

The factory case fans run at only 900rpm. They run very quiet but don't move much air imo. I replaced mine with scythe s-flex 1200rpm fans. Scythe fans are sooo nice.

edit:: I forgot to take some pics. I'll come back this weekend.

Just got my 9F and loving it. Cable management could use a bit of work. :rolleyes:

img3606s.jpg

img3609wb.jpg

img3613f.jpg

Edit: lianregnif how effective do you find that noise dampening material, is it worth getting? I've heard mixed reviews with some people saying it does next to nothing and others saying its really effective.

Last edited:
Just got my 9F and loving it. Cable management could use a bit of work. :rolleyes:

Edit: lianregnif how effective do you find that noise dampening material, is it worth getting? I've heard mixed reviews with some people saying it does next to nothing and others saying its really effective.

Unless it's something heavy like Dynamat-type sound dampening, I doubt it will have a noticeable effect on noise.

Unless it's something heavy like Dynamat-type sound dampening, I doubt it will have a noticeable effect on noise.

^^^You know......I agree. I spent $100 on that fancy dampening ensolite stuff and it's definitely "quiet" but I don't think i can noticeably tell a difference if it wasn't there.

Knowing that I wouldn't be able to tell a difference.....i went ahead and got it anyways just to try it for myself rather than reading it. I don't regret getting it...but now I know it's not necessary in future builds.

^^^You know......I agree. I spent $100 on that fancy dampening ensolite stuff and it's definitely "quiet" but I don't think i can noticeably tell a difference if it wasn't there.

Knowing that I wouldn't be able to tell a difference.....i went ahead and got it anyways just to try it for myself rather than reading it. I don't regret getting it...but now I know it's not necessary in future builds.

Guess I wont bother then, $100 is a lot for no difference :p Most of the noise is coming from my hdds and my 570 so might look at an Accelero Xtreme or something.

mine, waiting for ASUS B3 replacements, then will i do some cable management
btw, any ideas on hiding the rear fan cable?
9fb.jpg

Last edited:
If your rear fan is plugged into the mobo where I think it is..

You can route the wire under the mobo, but that would require too much work. Any other fan plugs left on the motherboard?

Back