New build, no video output

McClintoc

Fully [H]
I have been building my own gaming rigs for 20 years now and every single one (at least 15 this point) has worked as soon as I fired it up. I just put together a new 3900x rig tonight and I cannot get anything to display on the monitor...this is a first.

1) all cables are plugged in proper and securly and my CPU, GPU and RAM are all securely seated.
2) the computer does power up (all RGB lights and all fans comes on) so I don't think the mobo is shorting out on the case.
3) I tried first with the Radeon VII that I plan on using with this build - tried it using an HDMI cable to my old 24" monitor and then I tried it using a DisplayPort cable to my current 27" monitor...no signal to either monitor.
4) I pulled the Radon VII and put in an RX 590 I have laying around - again I plugged in the 24 " HDMI and the 27" DisplayPort...still no signal to either monitor.

Any one had this happen to them on a new build? I can't figure what the issue is. Here are my new specs:

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus mobo
Ryzen 3900x CPU
Hyperx Predator 4000MHz 2x8GB
Pioneer 2TB NVMe SSD
EVGA 1000GQ PSU

try one stick of ram? have a mobo speaker? if so hook it up and pull the ram, see if it beeps at ya.

Same results with one stick of RAM. I did just see that my mobo has trouble shooting LEDs on it. According the LED and the manual, the RAM is not being detected.

Same results with one stick of RAM. I did just see that my mobo has trouble shooting LEDs on it. According the LED and the manual, the RAM is not being detected.
make sure the ram is seated good. have any lower speed ram you can toss in? see if that works. then manually set speeds in the bios to something lower than 4000 and then swap sticks.

make sure the ram is seated good. have any lower speed ram you can toss in? see if that works. then manually set speeds in the bios to something lower than 4000 and then swap sticks.

Yes, I just tried a single stick of Corsair 3200Mhz RAM that I had laying around and I am still having the same issue.

the mobo 8pin power plugged in? maybe try doing a good cmos clearing. pull the plug, pull the batter, hit the power button and let it sit for a few min. put plug and battery back and see if it fires.

RAM is in the correct slots. I just swapped out the new EVGA 1000w PSU for my old Corsair 1000w PSU and the thing won't even power on with the Corsair.

I have been building my own gaming rigs for 20 years now and every single one (at least 15 this point) has worked as soon as I fired it up. I just put together a new 3900x rig tonight and I cannot get anything to display on the monitor...this is a first.

1) all cables are plugged in proper and securly and my CPU, GPU and RAM are all securely seated.
2) the computer does power up (all RGB lights and all fans comes on) so I don't think the mobo is shorting out on the case.
3) I tried first with the Radeon VII that I plan on using with this build - tried it using an HDMI cable to my old 24" monitor and then I tried it using a DisplayPort cable to my current 27" monitor...no signal to either monitor.
4) I pulled the Radon VII and put in an RX 590 I have laying around - again I plugged in the 24 " HDMI and the 27" DisplayPort...still no signal to either monitor.

Any one had this happen to them on a new build? I can't figure what the issue is. Here are my new specs:

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus mobo
Ryzen 3900x CPU
Hyperx Predator 4000MHz 2x8GB
Pioneer 2TB NVMe SSD
EVGA 1000GQ PSU
Someone on the Gigabyte forums posted the exact same problem but with a different board, a cheaper 80 dollar board. Don't remember the model. I've had RAM problems with my old X58 build, and others did too, but I've never had a video problem like you have. I'd call MSI tech support. You may very well have a bad board. They'll help you get it routed and replaced if so. You said all cables are properly seated, but you didn't mention if the PCIe cable is plugged into your power supply. I know it's obvious, but you know how that goes!

RAM is in the correct slots. I just swapped out the new EVGA 1000w PSU for my old Corsair 1000w PSU and the thing won't even power on with the Corsair.
If you can confirm the Corsair PSU works, then I'd say you have some serious MB issues.

I would tear it down and boot with bare minimum. Motherboard on box, one stick of RAM in second slot, video output to monitor, power supply 24 pin and 8 pin. If mobo doesn't have onboard power jump the header with a flathead screwdriver. You know PSU is good. Unlikely both sticks of RAM are DOA (like even "bad" RAM that doesn't hit rated frequency will at least boot JEDEC 2133MHz with loose timings). I assume you know video card is good. So that leaves either the motherboard or the processor.

You mentioned you had an old 2700X rig? Flash the BIOS to be Zen2 compatible and put the 3900X in there. That will rule out all the components except the motherboard and you would have to RMA. Motherboard is more likely to be DOA than CPU. Quite honestly that motherboard is not meant to handle a 3900X, unless you like 116C MOSFETs and 125C backside of PCB.... VRM is same as the MSI X570 Gaming Edge WiFi and the it's absolutely trash as indicated by and go to the chart at 12:35 if you just want to skip directly to seeing how bad it is. The MSI X570 Tomahawk is coming out in a few weeks which can easily handle the 3900X. You can still use that board, just have LOTS of airflow over VRM and don't overclock.

I usually POST test my components like I mentioned in my first paragraph before I even put in a case. Not worth the extra effort to tear down a whole system to do troubleshooting when it only takes a few minutes in advance. My current build POST test in pic :)

Attachments

• POST test.jpg
    POST test.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 0
I would tear it down and boot with bare minimum. Motherboard on box, one stick of RAM in second slot, video output to monitor, power supply 24 pin and 8 pin. If mobo doesn't have onboard power jump the header with a flathead screwdriver. You know PSU is good. Unlikely both sticks of RAM are DOA (like even "bad" RAM that doesn't hit rated frequency will at least boot JEDEC 2133MHz with loose timings). I assume you know video card is good. So that leaves either the motherboard or the processor.

You mentioned you had an old 2700X rig? Flash the BIOS to be Zen2 compatible and put the 3900X in there. That will rule out all the components except the motherboard and you would have to RMA. Motherboard is more likely to be DOA than CPU. Quite honestly that motherboard is not meant to handle a 3900X, unless you like 116C MOSFETs and 125C backside of PCB.... VRM is same as the MSI X570 Gaming Edge WiFi and the it's absolutely trash as indicated by and go to the chart at 12:35 if you just want to skip directly to seeing how bad it is. The MSI X570 Tomahawk is coming out in a few weeks which can easily handle the 3900X. You can still use that board, just have LOTS of airflow over VRM and don't overclock.

I usually POST test my components like I mentioned in my first paragraph before I even put in a case. Not worth the extra effort to tear down a whole system to do troubleshooting when it only takes a few minutes in advance. My current build POST test in pic :)

Really good methodology. I usally do the same thing when I first post, just the bare minimums, one stick ram, ATX and 12V, card and that's it. THen connect keyboard and get into the BIOS and check things out.

Dopamin3 I just the bare-bones set-up you suggested. I took everything out of the case and put an anti-static bag on a cardboard box then set the mobo on that. I put in the CPU, one stick of RAM, the SSD and the video card. Hooked up all power cords to the mobo and video card then tried to jump the power switch terminals with a screw driver. I did the jump several times and each time (turn off the PSU between attempts) I heard a faint click and the lights in my room would flicker a little like there was a power draw on the circuit but the computer does not start at all now. I am thinking the board is fried at this point.

Dopamin3 I just the bare-bones set-up you suggested. I took everything out of the case and put an anti-static bag on a cardboard box then set the mobo on that. I put in the CPU, one stick of RAM, the SSD and the video card. Hooked up all power cords to the mobo and video card then tried to jump the power switch terminals with a screw driver. I did the jump several times and each time (turn off the PSU between attempts) I heard a faint click and the lights in my room would flicker a little like there was a power draw on the circuit but the computer does not start at all now. I am thinking the board is fried at this point.

I would agree with that assessment. Very unlikely for CPU to be DOA but maybe test it in your X470 Gaming M7 just to be 10000% sure (make sure to update BIOS to compatible version first)

Yuo cn also leave out the SSD next time. It just eliminates one variable. MB doesn't need it to post.

Hope you get your board sorted.

I went ahead and started the return process on the MSI board and went ahead and bought an Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero which appears to be a highly rated board from several reviews out there. It's twice the price of the MSI but should also give much better performance than the MSI would have. I broke my own rule and bought cheap so I'm buying twice.

I went ahead and started the return process on the MSI board and went ahead and bought an Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero which appears to be a highly rated board from several reviews out there. It's twice the price of the MSI but should also give much better performance than the MSI would have. I broke my own rule and bought cheap so I'm buying twice.
That's not a cheap board in my view. It's over 200 USD. I'm seeing the ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero on Amazon for 214.00.

I went cheap this time too,mainly because my options were limited and I didn;t wnat to spend 300 bucks like I did on my last MB, which was a Giagbyte X58 model.. I wanted a B450 ITX board. I could have chosen the ASUS ITX for 145.00 or the Gigabyte for 119.00. I chose the Gigabyte board. I have had no problems yet, and everything works. I have one problem. The Intel Wifi / BT 5 combo M2 card loses about 40% of its speed when the BT and wifi are active. They both operate on the 2.4Ghz channel so I guess either Gigabyte or Intel has limited the speed of the wifi to accommodate any BT 5 bandwidth. I don't know and no one seems to know. So, when I am streaming music to my BT Amplifier and using wifi at teh same time, I get about a 30-50% reduction in download speeds using 2.4Ghz wireless and BT 5 at the same time.

Other than that, no problems yet.

My new Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero mobo arrived today. I got everything hooked up and now it doesn't turn on at all. The RGB lights on the mobo light up and the mobo actually has its own power button (don't have to use the one on the case) and it lights up. However, none of the system fans turn on, the video card doesn't light up or power on, etc. When I push the power button, I hear a faint click in the PSU but nothing happens. I can unplug the PSU then plug it back in and push the power button again and get the same click. I don't think the PSU is bad as the whole computer turned on when I had it put together with the MSI mobo, I just didn't have any video output. I got a new mobo and have gone backwards. This is beyond ridiculous at this point.

I'm up and running now. Turns out the brand new EVGA 1000w PSU was bad. After setting it all up with the new Asus mobo it still wouldn't power on at all. I pulled the EVGA PSU and hooked up my six year old Corsair 850w PSU and it powers on and posts.

Back