Need some new pc advice

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
Iv been put in charge yet again to build a new VNC server (yes I know how open to the world we are) and I have some specifications it needs to fall into.

We use these servers for charting ONLY. Our current systems have 4 desktops each but we need to expend those to more. I use 1 real monitor and 3 dummy VGAs for the extra screens.

So Im looking for the option to add 3-6 more video cards, I found these 2 mobos. Im just not sure I can find up to 6 more video cards that have dual DVI (have to have dual DVI) that would fix on to one of these mobo's. Not sure what to look for.

PCI Express 2.0 x16 : 6

or
PCI Express 2.0 x16 : 4

Im also looking for it to be a i7, or another CPU that doesnt need upgrading for a few yrs.

The other thing I REALLY want to make sure is, that its quiet. The ones we use now are pretty damn silent. Got the Noctua fans in them and are happy with out quiet they are.

My other option would be to build a basic quiet system and get 2-3 of these costly Matrox 4 display cards but damn they are pricey.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814106049&cm_re=matrox-_-14-106-049-_-Product

Other then that, I just need like 6-8 gigs of ram and to make this as future proof and pain free as possible. I also have no clue what type of power supply I should be looking at. And price wise, well 2-3k if possible. Any help would be great, thanks

Last edited:
Just to be clear: So you're asking for advice for a full build? If so, please answer these questions:
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? Multiple PCI-E x16 slots? etc.

Some thoughts so far:
- According to Newegg reviews, this card is fairly quiet:
$68 - EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB PCI-E Video Card

The above card is a single slot dual DVI card. If you did go with the Asus P6T6 motherboard, all you would have to do is get six of the above cards. You can probably further reduce noise by controlling the fan speeds on those cards via software and/or sticking a quiet 120mm fan over those cards to keep them cool and quiet.

- CPU wise, if you go with any X58 motherboard, the only real option is the Core i7 950 CPU.

1...around 2-3 grand, if it goes over 3 I would still prob get it, just have to run it by the boss first
2...Out side Chicago
4...CPU (pretty sure I want the i7), ram, mobo, video card, power supply, case (need to make this as quiet as possible)...Im ok figuring out the rest
5...all new parts
6...asap
7...The mobo is key, I think, I need more then 2 video cards. Im looking to in theory run 6-8 monitors off this pc. Ill still be using a dummy monitor for all but one real monitor. So multiple PCI-E x16. Dual DVI cards would be nice but as long as I can get the count on monitors then what ever will work. Thanks

$405 - Intel Core i7 950 CPU + Corsair 750HX 750W Modular PSU
$330 - Asus P6T6 WS Revolution Motherboard
$80 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$408 - 6 x EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB PCI-E Video Card
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156
---
Total: $1413 plus tax and shipping

Some notes:
- That case is one of the better bang for the buck quiet cases out there that has enough cooling, I think, to cool those six video cards just fine.
- Added a 3rd party HSF since the stock Intel HSF has been reported as "loud".

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That rocks, I cant thank you enough...made this a lot easier. :D

Back