Need headphone recommendation - primarily for gaming and ~$150

PoweredBySoy

2[H]4U
I've been using those Bose Triports ($140) for about the past 3 years now, and I've gone through multiple pairs. Problem is they have shitty build quality and often break or just fall apart. Now the cushioning on my latest pair is falling off, and I'm ready to move on to something else. What I really liked about them though is they are lightweight and comfortable.

So I'm looking for some recommendation for replacement headphones. As stated in the title they'll mainly be used for PC gaming 95% of the time, via an Audigy X-fi soundcard. What I need is the following:

• Around $150. No more than $200.
  • Circumaural design that fits over my entire ear, not on it.
  • Closed. The wife is often in the office with me, and she doesn't need to be hearing me kill zombies
  • Comfort.
  • Good all-around sound.

Thanks, duders.

I love me Sennheiser eh2200s, but they're only in the $50-80 range, not $150-200.

I have a pair of Bose Triports and had the exact same problem with mine (they lasted around 4 years by virtue of a lot of electrical tape and careful handling) and I finally the cushioning started peeling and getting nasty for no apparent reason.

I'd say the eh2200s provide much better sound than the TriPorts ever did, as well as having a nicer (and removable/replaceable) cord and being far less expensive, retail.

Considering your current expectations, I'd go for $50-60 for a pair of eh2200s and be happy. You can always sell them for a minor ($10-15) loss if you decide you don't like them and get something else, but I suspect you will be thrilled.

Unfortunately finding a pair can be very difficult right now.

Another thing to consider would be the Sony MDR-V600 around $100-150.

When i was looking for a pair of headphones for the exact same things you are i decided on the ATH A900's

Best headphones ever

go with them you won't be disapointed

When i was looking for a pair of headphones for the exact same things you are i decided on the ATH A900's

Best headphones ever

go with them you won't be disapointed

i agree.

p.s. for 38$ you can get a jvc harx700- which sounds similar

Between the harx700 and the ath-a700's:

For gaming the harx700 are pretty comparable to the ath-a700's,...but for music, the ath-a700's are much better-hands down. The a700 is more comfortable as well.

Yes I own both, as well as the Denon ah-d2000's. I honestly wouldn't bother with the Denon's unless you plan on picking up an amp later on. I was pretty disappointed with them driven straight from a sound card, and ended up shelling out an additional $200 I didn't plan on spending just yet.

Received the audio-technica A700's in the mail today from Amazon and have been testing them out. I can say with confidence that they certainly sound different, and I'm not sure if I like the first impressions or not. But my ears have been trained to the same Bose headphones for years now, so I'm trying not to confuse 'different' with 'bad'.

They are definitely a lot brighter than my old headphones. Almost a little too much so. The highs seem to border on tinny, and everything seems to sound a bit more hollow. Considering the size of these earmuffs, I also expected the bass to be more pronounced. But what bass is there is perfectly serviceable.

I've been playing games and swapping back and forth (as quickly as possible) between these new A700's and my aging Bose. The A700's certainly have a larger are more definite stage about them - and that I like. But overall I don't know, I'm still not completely sold on them yet. I think I'll try to get used to them a bit more first and maybe try to tame those highs a bit.

It took me two or three weeks to switch from my TriPorts to the eh2200s and like you I at first wasn't certain if I liked the new sound... but you'll likely start to notice detail that the Bose did not offer, and for me that was the final selling point. After a few weeks the bass will not seem so anemic, and you can always turn down the highest of the highs a bit with an EQ.

I'm currently using the AD-700's and I love them. Now, im not an audiophile or an expert by a long shot but coming from using $15 headphones to this was a huge jump and I even hear sounds I didn't hear before. They are absolutely delightful for gaming and I like them for music and movies. I imagine they are a bit bright when listening to music but I have nothing of quality to base this against.

Update:

So I had decided not to keep the A700's. It's not that they sounded bad - they perform okay in that department. I was just having issues with the way they fit. I really disliked the ear pads with that crunchy, over-sized plastic material. They also had very poor isolation overall. In my office here I have to compete with both my wife's computer as well as the television, and these cans just couldn't cut out the sounds as much as I need them too. The Bose performed much better in that regard.

The A700's also had this odd echo quality to them. When I put them on it's almost like I was putting my head inside of a cave - and I could 'hear' the vastness around me. And when outside sounds, such as the television hit them, it gave them this sort of reverb quality - making the outside sounds even more annoying.

After deciding I wasn't going to be keeping them, I started up the research again and lurked around over at Headfi. I got a few ideas and then visited a local Guitar Center and tried out a few models while plugged into a soundboard. I had tried the DT-770 Pros, and while I could appreciate how accurate they were, they just were sort of flat and not very fun to listen to. During that time I also put on a pair of Ultrasone DJ1's - and hoooooly shit I was blown away. Afterwards I had found out that the DJ1's are almost identical to the Ultrasone HFI-580's. Then I decided to spring for the higher level HFI-780's.

So as of now I've been listening to the 780's for a couple hours, and I can confidently say these can's absolutely destroy the A700's. For starters they fit much, much better. The leather (pleather?) ear pads suck firmly against my head, creating a nice airtight seal. They stay solid even when my turn my head around - which would cause the A700's to shift off my ear a bit. I also don't have that cave-like feeling anymore, and the television is almost inaudible. These isolate even better than my old Triports. I'm amazed. I will say though that the headband is a little tight, so it presses down almost a bit too hard and my ears are starting to get sore. But I suspect that will loosen in time.

I'm no audiophile, but the sound quality from these Ultrasones is noticeably better than the A700's. I put on some music and switched back and forth between the two pairs. The Ultrasone's have better instrument separation, more accurate highs, and harder bass. The A700's just seemed to 'whoop whoomp' out the bass, but the Ultrasones actually pound. I love it. And they should only get better after 100 hours or so.

Considering I bought the A700's for $125, and you can get the 780's for $160 over at Northern Sound & Light, it seems almost a sin not to drop the extra $35 and go for the Ultrasones.

It was my first time using Northern Sound, but they are extremely professional. My shipping addressed couldn't be confirmed with my credit card company, so they called me up to work that out. They're very nice. And you get a free t-shirt with your order too. haha.

Seriously...... Ultrasone.

The A700 aren't known for isolation. They are known for their soundstage (the so-called echoing quality), detail, and comfort (which is linked with how they fit on people). It's not that Ultrasone is better, per se. But it's certainly different.

Besides, at $160, I would rather buy the AD700 and hold out to save for the AKG701.

The A700 aren't known for isolation. They are known for their soundstage (the so-called echoing quality), detail, and comfort (which is linked with how they fit on people). It's not that Ultrasone is better, per se. But it's certainly different.

Besides, at $160, I would rather buy the AD700 and hold out to save for the AKG701.

Yeah but

The 780 offer a good strong bass foundation along with good everything else.

The 701 are better in terms of directional sound but most folks will be asking where the sound is at. If you are not going to fully commit to the 701 with serious gear, you will be left wanting more.

The 780s are easier to get along with and should be strongly considered, along with the Denon D2000.

The AT AD and A700 are great in many ways but are in need of updating. They are getting old.

I'm a huge fan of my Beyerdynamic DT 770's.

1) they isolate almost all sound around me so I don't have to turn up the volume as much to hear clear music/games/movies.
2) they are built so solidly that I feel like I could take a bullet to the ear and survive
3) the bass in them is incredible
4) the sound seems very clear and accurate
5) extremely comfortable

I plan to use them for a long time!

+1 for the Ultrasone 780. I've had mine for a week. They're excellent. I borrowed a friend's 780 and fell in love after being disappointed with my A900. A900: returned. 780: ordered. My ears couldn't be happier. :)

Yeah but

The 780 offer a good strong bass foundation along with good everything else.

The 701 are better in terms of directional sound but most folks will be asking where the sound is at. If you are not going to fully commit to the 701 with serious gear, you will be left wanting more.

The 780s are easier to get along with and should be strongly considered, along with the Denon D2000.

The AT AD and A700 are great in many ways but are in need of updating. They are getting old.

True. I guess I'm a bit biased since I'm ready for an AKG701 with my modded Zero DAC/Amp lol. I agree that the AT 700 and even the AT 900 are getting old. These definitely need a price drop and/or an update.

Well, after much research I have decided to go with the Ultrasone HFI-780s as well. I was ready to pull the trigger on the A900s but felt that they were over-priced at $250+.

I am going to be using the 780s mainly for PC gaming through my X-Fi. I will also be listening to music and watching an occasional movie as well. All through my PC.

I should get them sometime next week.

How much burn-in time is needed for these cans?

Well, after much research I have decided to go with the Ultrasone HFI-780s as well. I was ready to pull the trigger on the A900s but felt that they were over-priced at $250+.

I am going to be using the 780s mainly for PC gaming through my X-Fi. I will also be listening to music and watching an occasional movie as well. All through my PC.

I should get them sometime next week.

How much burn-in time is needed for these cans?
Good choice. I heard 'burn in' is a lot with the Ultrasones. The info claims they were made for movies, gaming, & DH..

The 780s are awesome. Just make certain to get a decent amp and a silver or silver/copper I/C for the amp. Makes a big difference over radioshack cables. You don't need to spend a ton but upgrading my power cable to a more suitable, 14awg, Gutwire power cord has made a big difference in the sound of my dac. That was my most expensive cable upgrade at $100. You only need about $30-40 for a good cable of this type http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TRDCYP and $40-100 for an amp and maybe a Jellyfish power cord for the pc and amp. Then the 780s will rawk big time.

Yeah, the Iron Lung for 29.00 is a steal. Hospital grade. PC's really do matter.. Not to go nuts and spend 10,000 on one.. I have a Zu PC. Think it's called born or something..retails for around 200 for 6FT. Paid ony 60 for mine.. I immediately noticed a lowered noise floor and more blackness between the notes.

Yeah, the Iron Lung for 29.00 is a steal. Hospital grade. PC's really do matter.. Not to go nuts and spend 10,000 on one.. I have a Zu PC. Think it's called born or something..retails for around 200 for 6FT. Paid ony 60 for mine.. I immediately noticed a lowered noise floor and more blackness between the notes.

My next upgrade is a power cord for the pc. I might get another Gutwire though. Really noticeable improvement. Just unsure of the requirements b/c I have a 750 watt and a 280GTX.

I just bought a Tripplite IS250 finally too.

Oh I got a power line filter, the Tripplite, that Ori from Oritek recommended for his DAC. Should make it blacker and bring out more detail. I do not know what guage power cord to get for my pc is all. Probably 14awg is good enough though.

I'm a huge fan of my Beyerdynamic DT 770's.

1) they isolate almost all sound around me so I don't have to turn up the volume as much to hear clear music/games/movies.
2) they are built so solidly that I feel like I could take a bullet to the ear and survive
3) the bass in them is incredible
4) the sound seems very clear and accurate
5) extremely comfortable

I plan to use them for a long time!

Probably a bit late coming to this thread, but I just wanted to second the DT770 vote; they're great for gaming and will stand the test of time going to and from lan parties and the such. I took my pair to the desert and they lasted just fine :D The lettering on mine have worn off, but other than that they've held up really well.

Good choice. I heard 'burn in' is a lot with the Ultrasones. The info claims they were made for movies, gaming, & DH..

It´s mainly for the titanium driver headphones like Prolines 750 and 2500. the lower lines don´t use titanium drivers and requires significantly less burn in. Should be more normal burn in times I suspect.

HFI-780 is designed to be more forgiving so not a bad choice from what I have heard but haven´t tried them.

Since I am buying these new HFI-780 cans do I need to upgrade my soundcard to compliment them? I am currently using an old X-fi Xtrememusic. I bought this card when the X-fi cards first came out. Is there any reason to pick up one of the new X-fi cards or even go with another make (Xonar etc.)? Would I notice any difference in sound quality?

Well the Asus Xonar line is quite good, I'd recommend the Xonar D1. As for high quality headphones, I'd suggest the AKG K240 Studio, which is 55 ohms (AKG also makes a Monitor version of the K240 that has 600 ohms). I've had the K240 Studio for almost 10 years and it still works great. Pretty comfortable too.

I'd get a vintage 240 Sextett. 600 ohms.... Very unique design with 6 passive drivers.. Dont confuse them with 5.1 headphones.. Mine are almost 30 yrs old.

So I should go for an amp instead of a new soundcard? I had thought about that. I assume that headfi is the best place to get one of these?

Depends on your setup, but generally, the best way to upgrade to get the maximum benefits is as follows: Headphones > Source (DAC, type of music files, etc.) > Amp.

However, for those power hungry headphones like the 701 or some IEMs that need extra amperage to sound good like the iM716, amps may be the better route than source... as long as your source isn't SUPER crappy.

Look, this is what you want to ultimately get the best from your 780s.

A good sound card like the Prelude or X-Fi Titanium, an amp like the mini3, decent silver cables w/ 1/8th to 1/8th stereo jacks to connect the sound card to the amp. I like Moon Audio cable for the X-FI but they are pricey.

That is the bare minimum to get it rolling right.

I just ordered up the HT OMEGA Claro Halo, so we'll see how well that works. Coming from an XtremeMusic I would hope to hear a definite improvement - especially due to the increased power. But if not I'll just return it.

I realize an external amp would power better, but then I'd still probably need an upgrade in soundcard anyways. I'm not going for audiophile quality here, I'm just going for some noticeable improvement. Besides, I like the idea of having it all integrated in a soundcard.

The Xonar Essence looks like a nice option too - whenever it comes out.

I just ordered up the HT OMEGA Claro Halo, so we'll see how well that works. Coming from an XtremeMusic I would hope to hear a definite improvement - especially due to the increased power. But if not I'll just return it.

I realize an external amp would power better, but then I'd still probably need an upgrade in soundcard anyways. I'm not going for audiophile quality here, I'm just going for some noticeable improvement. Besides, I like the idea of having it all integrated in a soundcard.

The Xonar Essence looks like a nice option too - whenever it comes out.

Just get an amp and a nice cable next. Always plug you amps straight into the wall if you can.

Another vote for the Beyer DT770's. Trust me these are some of the best and most fun cans you can find. However, if you want a really accurate sound stage then go for the DT880's or AKG 701's.

I personally want to get a pair of AKG 701's because they have such a detailed sound.

Back