NEC PA301W-BK $1850 shipped from B&H

Sycraft

Supreme [H]ardness
B&H has the PA301W for $1850 with free shipping.

Yes, that is extremely expensive, but for this monitor, it is the best price I've seen. It is one of, if not the, highest end 30" displays you can get your hands on.

The part I'm puzzled about is why b&h seem to always have ~1.5 day of no ordering from Friday to Saturday night every week. Wouldn't think it's their maintenance time because I don't think they are large enough to need to do it on a weekly basis...

I have no idea. B&H is strange when it comes to orders, they take their site offline for placing orders all too often.

However, they have good service, and good prices, so I use them from time to time. In this case, it was low enough to make me bit on this monitor. I wanted one ever since it launched, but I just couldn't justify the $2300ish it was going for. At $1850, that's low enough I'll take one. Still damn expensive, but hey what do you want? :D

Yeah it's a hot deal. The main draw I think is that it's hardware calibratable and it's able to store it as a profile(the correct term escapes me). I bought from b&h on several occasions and can say they are a great place to buy stuff from.

Too bad I can't fit that 30" screen on my table. Gah

Yeah it's a hot deal. The main draw I think is that it's hardware calibratable and it's able to store it as a profile(the correct term escapes me). I bought from b&h on several occasions and can say they are a great place to buy stuff from.

Too bad I can't fit that 30" screen on my table. Gah

Not just calibratable, but a full 3D LUT. What that means is it can actual do colourspace emulation. So you can pick any gamut you want within its full gamut. You can get balls-on accurate sRGB if you need it, then switch over to aRGB and so on. Older NECs, like mine, could only do 3 separate 1-D LUTs which corrected colour issues, but couldn't emulate other colour spaces.

Plus it has a real good backlight, uniformity compensation, the best scaler out there, and so on.

Dell is looking to get the full calibration in their 3014, their 2713H has it, but it is rather more limited than the NEC's on account of their software not being as good. I was thinking about a 3014, but when I saw this deal I decided I'd just go for it.

The part I'm puzzled about is why b&h seem to always have ~1.5 day of no ordering from Friday to Saturday night every week. Wouldn't think it's their maintenance time because I don't think they are large enough to need to do it on a weekly basis...

Pretty sure it is because they respect the Jewish Shabbat. They close the store down and also shut down any online ordering. Sort of like how Chick-fil-a is closed on Sundays....

That would explain it, though that is rather stupid. I can completely understand not working due to a religious holiday. Heck plenty of places are closed Friday night to Monday morning just on account of they don't feel it is useful to be open weekends.

However it is rather stupid to tell your computers not to take orders during that time. They are on and running anyhow, let them take the orders, and then process them when you come back.

if you ever go to a B&H or any other big "photography" stores in NYC you would understand. Pretty much everyone that works there is jewish.

Not just calibratable, but a full 3D LUT. What that means is it can actual do colourspace emulation. So you can pick any gamut you want within its full gamut. You can get balls-on accurate sRGB if you need it, then switch over to aRGB and so on. Older NECs, like mine, could only do 3 separate 1-D LUTs which corrected colour issues, but couldn't emulate other colour spaces.

Plus it has a real good backlight, uniformity compensation, the best scaler out there, and so on.

Dell is looking to get the full calibration in their 3014, their 2713H has it, but it is rather more limited than the NEC's on account of their software not being as good. I was thinking about a 3014, but when I saw this deal I decided I'd just go for it.

Yeah the LUT thing. Wish I can find the space to fit this beast. :eek:

Hmm that'd make sense if they're Jewish. Never knew that NYC photo shops are mostly owned by Jewish.

Pretty sure it is because they respect the Jewish Shabbat. They close the store down and also shut down any online ordering. Sort of like how Chick-fil-a is closed on Sundays....

This. They CAN stay open all week, but choose not to. They sure as shit don't roll on Shabbos.

If you've ever been to the B&H store you'd know it's run by a bunch of old Jewish men.

Adorama is the same way, no ordering or shipping on Jewish holidays or shabbat. These are the two best stores to order camera gear. Both have received thousands of dollars from me over the years.

Back