NAS with SMB 3.0

jadams

2[H]4U
So now that Hyper-V on Server 2012 supports running VM's from a NAS using SMB 3.0 does this mean that the NAS would also have to support SMB 3.0?

Something tells me if i go this route, the only "NAS" I'm going to be able to find is basically another Server 2012 build with alot of storage space.

From what I researched briefly samba 4 which I believe is available or very close to it will support smb3.0.

I guess its then just a matter of the nas's underlying operating system to pick it up.

I found nothing on freenas's forums or release notes for v8.3

Window 8 / Server 2012 are your only options right now as far as software/host O/S support goes for SMB3.0. There are some third party (read: expensive and enterprise oriented ) appliances that have SMB3.0 support but probably not what youre looking for.

SMB3.0 and specifically SMB Multichannel is the one killer feature I couldn't downgrade Window 8 to Windows 7 for when I really wanted to. Having 600MB/s transfers back and forth from my workstation to server - without resorting to 10GigE just yet - by utilizing commodity quadport + onboard GigE is priceless.

Last edited:
That sounds awesome. I'm interested because we are starting to out grow our esxi system. I'd like to switch over to hyperv but up until now it has not been possible to store vm's on file shares. Smb3.0 solves this. This will be a more cost effective solution than going with VMware.

I may even replace the nas's with server 2012 shares. I am not entirely comfortable supporting freenas and find the permissions to be Greek to me due to my limit exposure to *nix.

I thought I read that solaris and oi support smb 3.0 ? As does OS X Lion and Mountain Lion?

I thought I read that solaris and oi support smb 3.0 ? As does OS X Lion and Mountain Lion?

I dont think so. If I recall, by default Apple offers SMBX, which is slower and buggier than SMB or Samba at least according to accounts I've read.

Also, keep in mind Samba and SMB are two different things.

SMB = Server Message Block protocol, Microsoft name brand
Samba = opensource/generic adaptation of SMB for non-Microsoft platforms (linux, solaris, NAS appliances, etc)

Samba 4.0 is what non-Microsoft platforms need for interop with some of the features of SMB 3.0. It was only generally released mid December and is still trickling down to third party vendors and developers for implementation in their products and distros (NAS, etc) . Apple has not implemented Samba 4.0 and I believe theyre still on SMBX officially but I've read accounts of people compiling Samba 4.0 for use on OSX.

Last edited:
So I set up a test for this tonight for some of our nightly backups. Backing up to cifs share on 2012, so set up a windows team with 2 Gbe nics on that file server and it's coming from a 2012 VM with a vmnex3 10 Gbe nic, it's on a host with 10 Gbe cards so I'll take a look tomorrow and see what kind of speeds I have. I'm not sure if the veeam proxy will leverage it, if not I'll just grab some large iso's and test transfers between the two.

Dunno if they fixed this since the beta but teaming/LAGs didn't work when I tested it, treated them as a single 1Gbit link, had to split it out into individual links with individual IPs to get it to use them all

Yup just seemed like the beta at least wouldn't recognize the ability to send multiple streams over the LAG, one IP = one link

ed: I haven't tried it with a LAG since RTM cause frankly for my usage I don't really care, individual links are easier to work with anyway so I just left it at that.

Last edited:
Back