My venture / leap out of the IPS world

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
I wanted to try something different, Eyefinity is too demanding and I can't justify constantly pumping out for new hardware =p So I decided to sell off my 3 x 2412s and try a Samsung S27A950D. I've been using SIPS since 2001? my first LCD was a Samsung sync-master 191+(*VA) or w/e :) then I moved to a BenQ TN(hated it and returned it within a week) and got a benq 2091fp (20" 1600x1200 SIPS 16MS) back then it was a huge jump over the laggy *VA and terrible tn since then I've been on different IPS monitors, only once trying a 2405 and not liking it.

after first opening the new Samsung and connecting it, I was disappointing with a couple of things, #1 is the intense back light bleed for a $600 monitor it's heart breaking :p, the other was the radical change in contrast, whites were burning my eyes. after some tinkering and research I found settings that I like, setup the driver, enabled 120hz. Played some BF3. I do like it so far.

My venture out of the IPS world was scary..... but I survived and might enjoy whats out there to see.

PS: compared to the 2412, the colors do look washed out a bit.

If someone else is scared to leave the IPS world, don't be, even TN monitors have come a long way.

I agree. My 950D is on par, if not just a little better than my 27" iMac IPS display.

:) Howeverrrrrrrrrr
I can't give up eyefinity >< it's hard going back to a single screen though the buttery smoothness is nice.

Personally, i went from using my ips display to my buddys crappy 22 inch Acer monitor that he bought for $80.

Frankly, you can even look at a solid color on the screen without seeing different gradients of it due to its terrible viewing angles.

This is just one radical instance, i've seen lots of other good displays that are tn panels

I think that may be because of WLED back-lighting.

Both have WLED i thought :p?

Anyway I like the display, TN has come a long long way, it is to the point where I would consider this for my screen as a single display setup. However I'm too stuck on Eyefinity to give it up, and I'm having a hard time justifying keeping it =p

Edit: the biggest downfall so far is the difference in contrast, the 2412 the whittes don't burn my eyes, where as they do on the 27a950d even with brightness turned down to 18 and contrast has to be at about 35 to stop it from happening, but then everything looks meh.

Personally, i went from using my ips display to my buddys crappy 22 inch Acer monitor that he bought for $80.

Frankly, you can even look at a solid color on the screen without seeing different gradients of it due to its terrible viewing angles.

This is just one radical instance, i've seen lots of other good displays that are tn panels

There's been lots of Haterade drinkin' when it comes to TN.

My Mom and I have identical (except for size) TN displays (both are Acer, in fact, H243H.bmid in Mom's case, and H233H.bmid in my own). Literally, the only difference between them is the size (hers is one inch larger) and connection (she uses D-sub, while I alternate between DVI and HDMI, depending on mood more than anything else).

Identical specs, identical connection support, and identical pictures, even.

Crappy viewing angles? If view angle is important, exactly *why* is it important? If you're the only person in front of the display (and this is for a PC, is it not?) than display-angle should matter not a whit, since you should be facing the display head-on; otherwise you simply need a larger display. (Naturally, I'm referring to single/non-Eyefinity displays - Eyefinity is a whole different creature.)

I had purchased my own Acer due to not just the PQ (one of the better TN panels when it comes to head-on PQ) but that it supported D-sub, DVI and HDMI, and actually included cabling for all three - very few displays, regardless of panel type, did in that size - and very few do even now.

Both displays are, in fact, still going strong.

I had two IPS monitors - the HP LP2475w and the Dell U2711. I recently sold the U2711 via Craigslist - I absolutely couldn't stand the AG coating - drove me crazy. The LP2475w is actually an exceptional monitor though the wide gamut is somewhat over the top - LOL. Though I recently picked up two TN monitors, both are outstanding:

HP 2509b - glossy, deep blacks, super great contrast and cat quick.

ASUS VE258Q - hands down the best display I've used - EVER. I primarily use it for gaming - it has the best back light I've seen - it's literally 100% black - no backlight bleed at all. It looks like it is turned off when you have a black green. Ufortunately, it's not a glossy, though it makes up for it in other ways. I find the colors on this monitor better than any monitor I've used, they are rich yet natural looking. This monitor is a monster when it comes to gaming - simply zero blurring/ghosting.

Back