Most Powerful Baby ITX Video Cards (171 mm, 6.7")

jww20

Weaksauce
115a.jpg

Sapphire launched its first performance-segment "compact" graphics card to take on the likes of GeForce GTX 760 ITX cards by ASUS and MSI, even if it isn't the first AMD AIB partner to do so. Sapphire's card is based on AMD's swanky new Radeon R9 285 graphics chip, which is slated for September 2nd, 2014. Called the R9 285 ITX Compact Edition, the card is a little over 17 cm long, 11 cm tall, and 2-slot thick. It features a dense aluminium fin-stack heatsink, which is ventilated by a single 100 mm fan. The card draws power from two 6-pin PCIe connectors. A single 8-pin to two 6-pin adapter is included. Display outputs include two mini-DisplayPort 1.2, one HDMI 1.4a, and a dual-link DVI, which has analog (VGA) pins, and an adapter for that is included.

http://www.techpowerup.com/204507/sapphire-radeon-r9-285-itx-compact-edition-pictured.html

http://www.sapphiretech.com/present...d=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2444&psn=000101&lid=1

The Sapphire tech specs indicate only a single 8 pin pci-e connector supplying 150 watts is needed. My first edition Gigabyte 280x looks huge and heavy compared to this baby!

I want to see it competing really with the Asus GTX 670 Mini..

Nice.. really hoping to see a lot more of these smaller ITX-sized cards pretty soon.

As was mentioned in the OP, whoever's the first to get better than 680/770 (or 280X/285X) performance in a card this size will surely have a winner.

i highly doubt the 285 will be better than the 280X, more efficient yes but not better to buy over a 280X, well we still have to see how the GCN 1.1 perform with the hardware crippled of a 280

btw checkThis review. and the impressive power of the Mini 670..

Nice.. really hoping to see a lot more of these smaller ITX-sized cards pretty soon.

As was mentioned in the OP, whoever's the first to get better than 680/770 (or 280X/285X) performance in a card this size will surely have a winner.

Me too! This is actually cool because I bought my first ever ITX case and thought I'd be limited to GTX 650/750 performance.

btw checkThis review. and the impressive power of the Mini 670..

Nice, thanks! Unfortunately, the ASUS 670 and 760 Mini are a no-go here in the US. They discontinued the 670 right when the 760 was about to launch.. 1 year later, and they still haven't released the 760 Mini in the US.

Right now we only have the MSI 760 and R9 270X Gaming ITX cards, and that's it (other than the small 750 and lower cards).. for now.

Why would the 760 GTX performance any less than the 670 GTX?

Last edited:
Nice, thanks! Unfortunately, the ASUS 670 and 760 Mini are a no-go here in the US. They discontinued the 670 right when the 760 was about to launch.. 1 year later, and they still haven't released the 760 Mini in the US.

Right now we only have the MSI 760 and R9 270X Gaming ITX cards, and that's it (other than the small 750 and lower cards).. for now.

why do you care about size? the case in your sig supports full length cards.

the MSI should do the job good as its pretty near the performance of the 670.. i have a Asus GTX 670 mini in my HTPC and I really love it..

maybe because some people want powerfull machines for HTPC, Steam machines etc.. i have a Lian LI Q07B and its always good to have this kind of cards in such small size to play good games in the living room..

Yes, my case will fit a 3-slot Titan-Z and many other larger cards just fine.

That little amount of space that makes up the difference between a full-size card and one with a short PCB is nice spot for the excess of my PSU cables while still allowing airflow from my bottom fan up to the mechanical hard drives on the side rack.

If I actually wanted a 780Ti or 290x, then I would sacrifice that space for a larger card.. but imo, the lower and mid-range cards really don't need to be as large as they are.

I agree, no need in making GPU's larger than necessary. The GTX 670/760 proved that it could work well and this card will probably do the same. This in turn allows smaller cases to become an option where it once wasn't.

Something I think is noteworthy is dedicating the second slot entirely to airflow. If they ditched the DVI port, they could put in a second HDMI port and a third mini Displayport port.

I'm glad they are making a gpu like this. Mitx is catching on more and more and the gamers who use them need gpu muscle in a smaller package.

Why would the 760 GTX performance any less than the 670 GTX?
Because video card naming conventions are all over the map. Both AMD and Nvidia have this problem. Look at what happens when we order some graphics cards by their actual performance, the model numbers don't seem representative at all.

GTX 650 Ti > GTX 750 Ti > GTX 650 > GTX 750

HD 5850 > HD 6850 > HD 7770

Unless you actually know how to read the model number, are aware of naming-convention changes between generation, and then go ahead and cross-reference it with reviews... the model numbers are pretty meaningless.

Because video card naming conventions are all over the map. Both AMD and Nvidia have this problem. Look at what happens when we order some graphics cards by their actual performance, the model numbers don't seem representative at all.

Unless you actually know how to read the model number, are aware of naming-convention changes between generation, and then go ahead and cross-reference it with reviews... the model numbers are pretty meaningless.

you are wrong this time.. how can you say the GTX 650 its better than the 650Ti?..

its GTX 650 > 650Ti > 750 > 750Ti > 650Ti Boost...

the GTX 760 isn't the replacement of the 670.. its the replacement of the 660 but not a fully rebranded 670 it have less Shaders.. 1152(760), 1344(670) so, clock for clock and the pixel fillrate of the 670 are better.. now, we have (only OEM) the GTX 760Ti which its a fully rebranded gtx 670 but with GPU boost 2.0 in fact you can flash a 670 with a 760TI BIOS to work with boost 2.0..

this is a great idea, but I thought ITX meant one slot? I think the fact that this is a 2 slot limits it appeal a little bit. (my itx case only allows 1 slot). The 760 one is 2 slot as well so I guess it's not a major issue.

When it comes to higher end-ish GPUs, you can usually only pick from one of the following: single slot; low profile; short length. If you want two out of three, you have to move down a couple notches in performance level and if you want all three, you basically have to choose from the very lowest-performing options.

If you're looking for a single-slot card, you're looking at something like an R9 250.

If you're looking for a single-slot card, you're looking at something like an R9 250.

Think the most powerful current production single-slot cards I've seen are ones like the Gainward 750 and the XFX R7 250E. Haven't seen anything in 760 or 260+ yet.

you are wrong this time.. how can you say the GTX 650 its better than the 650Ti?..
I'm not wrong, there's just a SERIOUS lack of reading comprehension on this forum...

Please, re-read the post you quoted. It clearly places the 650 Ti ahead of the 650.

its GTX 650 > 650Ti > 750 > 750Ti > 650Ti Boost...
Ok, I see where the confusion stems from, you don't know how greater-than and less-than symbols work.

Looking at the far-ends of your statement... YOU effectively just wrote that the GTX 650 is superior to the 650 Ti Boost...

Last edited:
the MSI should do the job good as its pretty near the performance of the 670.. i have a Asus GTX 670 mini in my HTPC and I really love it..

maybe because some people want powerfull machines for HTPC, Steam machines etc.. i have a Lian LI Q07B and its always good to have this kind of cards in such small size to play good games in the living room..

wait a second. are you saying you have the asus gtx 670 mini in your lian li q07b. i don't see how this is possible as i have a q07-the usb 2.0 version of your case-and both chassis only have one expansion slot. this is why i have a single slot powercolor hd 7750 in mine. i am further perplexed by your setup because if you had managed to wedge a dual slot card into a q07b, the surface of the fan shroud would be right up against the bottom of the case, and would choke the fan off from ingesting any air whatsoever.

Think the most powerful current production single-slot cards I've seen are ones like the Gainward 750 and the XFX R7 250E. Haven't seen anything in 760 or 260+ yet.

the r7 250e is a rebrand of the hd 7750. i found a single slot gainward gtx 750 card on ebay for just under 200 usd. it might be worth it considering that this review shows a gtx 750 comes close to doubling the frame rates of an hd 7750.

Back